1.7td and alternative fuels?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
hipo1024

1.7td and alternative fuels?

Post by hipo1024 »

Apparently biodiesel is easy to get hold of here in Cambridge so I thought I'd look into it. From what I can work out is if the engine is indirect injection then you should have no problems, but with direct injection you could end up with gummed up rings etc

So 1stly is the izusu td engine direct or indirect? And 2ndly has anyone used biodiesel or any other diesel alternative on this engine and if so what was the outcome?
Daily driver: '55 Jeep GC CRD 3.0 v6
SORN'd car: '93 1.7td Cavalier

If it ain't broke, fix it til it is :)
leestirling

Re: 1.7td and alternative fuels?

Post by leestirling »

I used bio diesal in mine for a about a year was grand I also ran it on heating oil with a drop of oil for two years illegal I no but cheap lol. It went grand was alot slower all the same was dead as adoor nail
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

had my early n reg TD vectra on new cheapo oil(when it was a decent price) and used cooking oil for ages. went better and smelt lovely, especially the stuff i strained, filtered and cut with std diesel that came from the Chinese round the corner. smelt awesome when I came to a stop at a junction and i had the window open and bit would waft past my nose. made me want sweet and sour every night though.
all of that range of Isuzu engines are good to go iirc on bio or veggie oil. good plan to have another fuel filter in the line too and if you want to do it in the winter, there's things you can do to preheat it (switchover system), or it goes quite thick and it just wont start. sorted that on my TD and all was well.
best bit is you can go to Macro and fill up in the carpark, leave them the cans!
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

we had a tankful of Bio Diesel at the farm a couple of Summers ago. I ran it 50/50...could never quite bring myself to do 100% Bio, as I had visions of it messing the fuel pump up. But he ran happily on that mixture. I wouldn't like to use it in the winter, cos of the fact it goes thick, and there may be a little water in the fuel filter that could freeze.

But I have been told that the Isuzu engine is one of the best for merrily digesting Bio or veg oil. The pump has to be a Bosch, as its mechanical. The Lucas one will die if fed oil or Bio.
Rage

Post by Rage »

looking at the posts here looks like it'll be the same as my landy I've stuck 10 litres of new veg oil straight in with about quarter tank of diesel. runs fine tesco's are doing 10 litres for £8 if your after cheap fuel it's cheaper than the £13.59 they want for the same amount of diesel at the minute
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol: