Rear spoiler first aid

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Telegram Sam

Rear spoiler first aid

Post by Telegram Sam »

The top "laminate" layer of my (pre-facelift) white spoiler has got itself detached at one side. As winter disasters go, not a show-stopper in itself. Is it just a case of a standard metal or plastic adhesive ("No Nails" exterior grade?) plus some sympathetic weather to fix it?
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
TurboDan

Re: Rear spoiler first aid

Post by TurboDan »

Buy this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INDASA-PU-BON ... Swu4BVvMtX

And glue it down with that, hold it with abit of masking tape over night and it will never come off again. Seal up the end of the tube and you can use it again and again to stick anything down.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Further investigation revealed that it had been fixed in position with what looks like a not particularly strong velcro type bond, as OEM or not hard to say. I had some No Nails "Permanent" Sticky Pads handy so effected a "temporary" repair with one - which might in fact become become permanent but not so permanent that future bodywork adjustments are impossible. Is the Indasa stuff an alternative permanent bonding agent, or a seal to go round the perimeter - or both?!
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

It will seal it from the weather and it will be glued down properly.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Makes sense if the idea is that there should NOT be an unsealed gap round the edge. Reminds me of when I first got the car I remarked to the dealer that it seemed that the rear spoiler "stood proud" of the surrounding bodywork and was that intentional. The reply, on more than one occasion, was that that was how it was meant to be and it couldn't be changed. I've got used to it now but still think that it looks slightly shoddy.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I remember watching an old Top Gear clip on Youtube, before Clarkson and the others were even on there, of the presenter doing a review of the Mk3's, and the rear spoiler is one of the things he pointed out, he said it was a bit "tacky". But then you look at any other car from that period, even some cars post that period, nothing's perfect.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

and I'm assuming that you are in agreement that nowt can be done about it short of intensive surgery?
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Its not quite major surgery, Just lift it up abit, squirt some sealer in there and tape it down job done.

Or if you think the whole thing is going to come off eventually then take it all off and put sealer around it all and put it back on, it wont come off again.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Video here.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8r9iZMRH5Xw

approx 2 mins 40 seconds in.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Very interesting to see "my" SRi on the video - particularly including the snippit on the spoiler. I don't think "sealing'" it down is going to make a lot of difference in my case, it is just too "proud". I can remember frigging around with the tailgate catch in the early days trying to lower the closed position, but all that achieved was to make it stiff to open. A belt sander rough grade / mechanical plane would make a smoother job of it.

You might want to let Humbucker in on the secret that the video praised the Cav's ride and handling on at least two occasions ..
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Buy this:

And glue it down with that, hold it with abit of masking tape over night and it will never come off again. Seal up the end of the tube and you can use it again and again to stick anything down.
You don't think that there would be an advantage in having a non-permanent bond, in case for example the bodywork underneath ever needed attention? Come to think of it there is some chipping on the spoiler itself and it might be cheaper in the long run to replace it
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Telegram Sam wrote:
Buy this:

You don't think that there would be an advantage in having a non-permanent bond, in case for example the bodywork underneath ever needed attention? Come to think of it there is some chipping on the spoiler itself and it might be cheaper in the long run to replace it
How bad's the chipping? It'll likely repair - it's only plastic at the end of the day.
That said, there are some nice alternative Irmscher spoilers that'll fit nicely.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I suppose that any semi-competent local paintman with indoor facilities and a wee bit smooth filler could probably fix it OK but it might be a case of it being cheaper to replace it with new if the originals - or for that matter Irmschers - are still available AND I can get the present one off without knackering the base. [I'm sure that Irmschers would add a bit to the performance also :lol: ]
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

"And glue it down with that, hold it with abit of masking tape over night and it will never come off again. Seal up the end of the tube and you can use it again and again to stick anything down"
Everyone agrees that the Indasa is pretty well bombproof. I'd prefer something a little less tough so I'm thinking of using some silicone gasket sealant / adhesive - it should be concealed underneath so should not need to be painted over
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

You are a strange one, you complain that your spoiler is falling off, I tell you the best stuff to use for not allot of money and yet you still want to use some gasket sealer to hold a spoiler on?

Good luck with that then.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Use the stuff that Dan has mentioned. You can get it off with glue/tar remover and a plastic spreader at a later date if you need to.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Tks for the tip. Could come in useful!