Paintwork first aid

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
Telegram Sam

Paintwork first aid

Post by Telegram Sam »

Bog standard query this: What to do / apply when the paintwork first gets chipped in order to prevent rust taking hold? Glacier White 10 L touch-up stick from Halfords or GM if these exist?
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
TurboDan

Re: Paintwork first aid

Post by TurboDan »

Yes just a decent touch up pen would do the job. I would go to your local trade paint shop and ask for a touch up pot in your coulor, it will be a much better match than Halfords.

Also don't use anything to big to touch it up, an unfolded paper clip works well or roll up a piece of masking tape into a point and use the tip.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Useful tips tks. I'm the sort that over-applies then uses T-Cut or something to remove the XS. Vague Idea I'd seen a touch-up pen somewhere which was meant to make the job more idiot proof?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I agree totally with Mr Turbo.

Get your paint from a good paint mixer.
(I have seen a wide variation in Halfords paint department's ability to match paint colours).

And finer the tip, the better the finish.
The old nail polish brush style touch up pens used to pile on a big deep wide dollop of paint, when all you want is just enough to fill the chip and create a moderately level surface.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

For small stone chips I use a cocktail stick, you can jiggle it about and work it fully into the chip recess.
I must have touched in a good couple of dozen stone chips on my bonnet front and being a dark colour it really showed. Slightly overfilled and flatted back with 1500/2000 grit wet & dry (wet) on a rubber pad and finished off with t cut also on a pad then polish.
Million times better and we'll worth the effort.

Alan
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Useful to know though the only obvious source I can think of locally is the GM Vauxhall main dealer in Newcastle. It occurs to me that I have several cheap "artists" brushes with fine tips that would presumably do the job even if there was slightly more at the end to rub down than from a cocktail stick / paper clip / masking tape? The area in question is a small patch at the top of the front wheel arch where the paint has come away - hopefully not deep but wider than a cocktail stick.