How2 - Install Cruise Control

An index of useful guides designed to help you care for and maintain your Mk3 Cavalier

Moderator: Robsey

Squig

How2 - Install Cruise Control

Post by Squig »

This How2 covers installation, from start to finish, of a Vectra/Omega cruise control unit from a manual v6 vehicle. I will also add information to incorporate this into a automatic... This has been attempted by myself (the CC unit cable mount is to be made before on road testing can commence, however all electrical checks have been carried out and everything functions as it should) on an electronic drive speedometer however as it is driven from the ABS sensor this should work on all Cavaliers with cable driven speedometer and ABS.
I will cover this How2 in two parts, firstly the electrics and wiring then fitting in a v6 engine bay and fabricating the cable mount.
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Squig

Re: How2: Install Cruise Control

Post by Squig »

Part One; Electrics and wiring...

I obtained virtually all the components from scrapped vehicles. You will need;
2 meters of the following coloured wiring;
  • Brown
    Black
    Yellow/black x2
    Blue/black
    Red/black
    Brown/black
    Brown/white (not essential as not used in Cavalier)
    Blue/red
1/2 meter of black wiring
Cruise control 10-pin plug (also used as diagnostic ports in Cavalier engine bays),
Cavalier 2-pin twist-in brake switch (this may be found on other Vauxhalls, the switch must be closed unless pressed so use multimeter continuity test to check switch suitability),
Cruise control stalk, found in Omegas and Vectras with CC, and both ends of the 4-pin connector...

Building the Loom...

If using the Cavalier diagnostic plug connect the new wires in the following order;
  • pin A - Red/black
    pin B - Yellow/black
    pin C - Brown/black
    pin D - Blue/black
    pin E - Brown
    pin F - Black
    pin G - Yellow/black
    pin H - Brown/white (tape off as not used in Cavalier)
    pin J - Grey - used in automatic applications
    Pin K - Blue/red
Bind all these into a single bundle and route from the approximate center of the engine bay through to the cabin on the drivers side.
DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.
Replace original indicator stalk with CC stalk...
Run pins A, B and C to the new CC indicator stalk and wire into the CC connector; A (red/black) into A; B (yellow/black) into D; C (brown/black) into C.
Run pin D to the drivers footwell.
Run pin E to an earth on the car's interior/engine bay.
Run pin F to +12v live (either permanent live or a live which is permanent with ignition).
Run pin G to drivers footwell.
Run pin J to see quote later in post
Run pin K to pin 3 on the 16 pin plug on the instrument panel and splice into circuit.
After wiring has been routed remove the brake switch, this is attached near the top of the pedal by simple twist-in, so a 90 degree turn in either direction should release it.
Once the switch is removed splice the yellow/black wire from pin G into the circuit AFTER the switch (determine this with the multimeter, but I remember it being yellow/black also).
Cut shorter black wire to less than 12 inches and splice into the brake switch circuit prior to the switch and connect to the second brake switch obtained at the scrapyard (refered to as clutch switch hereafter).
Connect blue/black wire (pin D) onto second pin of the clutch switch, completing the circuit.
Pull the plunger on the clutch switch as far out as it will go (several clicks).
Refit brake switch and fit clutch switch (both fittings are near the top of the pedals and both twist in).
Finally run the remaining black wire from pin B in the stalk to a +12v ignition live.

Once this is complete test the circuits before fitting CC unit... a correct set of results should look like this;
  • Pin - Switch Off/Switch On
    pin A - 0v/14v
    pin B - 0v/14v
    pin C - 0v/14v
    pin D - 14v/0v
    pin E - Earth, so perform continuity test
    pin F - 14v perm.
    pin G - 0v/14v
    pin H - unused
    pin J - unused
    pin K - NOT TESTED...
dave's.veccy wrote:Looking at a Vectra Haynes manual, the Unknown wire (Grey according to the book) for automatic setup tells the cruise control its in drive (Pin C on Vectra selector switch). its also Grey on post 92' Cavaliers. It looks like the selector switch has 2 plugs on a Cavalier and its pin C in the plug with 4 wires.
Thanks to Dave for this... saved me trawling through the Haynes... :D :D
CCwiringdiag.jpg
Wiring diagram
Picture736-1.jpg
Clutch pedal twist in fixing

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Squig

Post by Squig »

The Cable Mounting...

Required
Omega v6 cable mount
2 washers

The easiest part of this guide... take an Omega CC cable mount and break out the angle grinder. Your mission to make it look like the pic below (this requires a little trimming to fit flush)... Then align with the original and redrill the bolt holes (this will require some adjustment as it is fairly difficult to get the distance from the throttle correct for the length of both cables first time). The accelerator cable will need adjusting back or the revs tend to sit at 2k. Oh and when fitting make sure you fit the washers between the mount and the manifold.
That's it... easy, eh?
SDC11398.jpg
Massively simple just a modifided Omega item... redrilled the bolt holes prior to fine adjustment

Squig

Post by Squig »

Mounting the CC unit...

Requires;
Self tapping screws
CC unit
CC cable (there are 2 lengths of cable to my knowledge and the Omega v6 uses the shorter length... I would advise finding the longer length as fitting will be easier)

The most irritating part of the install... but the one I'll cover least... the reason is, different engines will require different mounting points. I mounted mine directly to the bulkhead. Once the unit is plugged in and the cable run the unit should work, assuming all electrical checks have been made.

Squig

Post by Squig »

SDC11412.jpg
SDC11413.jpg
SDC11414.jpg
SDC11415.jpg
SDC11416.jpg
SDC11417.jpg
SDC11418.jpg
SDC11419.jpg

DISCLAIMER

DISCLAIMER - Myself and http://www.vauxhallcavalier.com hold no responsibilty for any problems this may cause to the running of your car, this is for reference only.