How2 - Clean up your plastics like new

An index of useful guides designed to help you care for and maintain your Mk3 Cavalier

Moderator: Robsey

Gaz

How2 - Clean up your plastics like new

Post by Gaz »

Basically I got another wiper cover to replace the one I accidentally cracked, looked fine on the car but when it off and got it home it was a little worse for wear
scrapfresh.jpg
Gave it a quick scrub over to get the major muck off
cleaned.jpg
And you can see the patches that are drying that its going light grey in places again
scratchesetc.jpg
You need one of these hot air gun, cheap one is fine that’s a b&q own brand ones that I’ve had for for a few years and is nomally out on loan to people to do this job.
hotairgun.jpg
The technique is to use the gun on the plastic in a spraypaint style left to right action– well keep it moving. The plastic will heat up and once it gets to a high temp it will change colour almost instantly.
Once it reaches that point don’t use anymore heat as it will start to warp and then eventually melt keep the heat moving if it starts to glisten like its wet, stop instantly as its starting to melt, theres no real technique other than keep it moving and don’t stay in one area too long
halfdone.jpg
This is it half done to show the change in finish, it removes small scratches and really does bring it back to new

Gave it a clean over with some autoglym bumper care which finishes it off nicely, should have left the last pic till it had dried but you get the idea
glymed.jpg
This should work on all hard plastic (door handles wheel arches bumpers etc)