17 inch wheels and wheel arches

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
nexus6

17 inch wheels and wheel arches

Post by nexus6 »

I appreciate this might have been covered before but not being particuarly conversant in suspension and off-sets etc I need some individual advice. My cav came with some nice 17 inch Wolfrace wheels but the previous owner must never have used it loaded in the back. The 17 inchers ripped the outer skin of the wheel arch on the nearside rear arch but near the front edge. Putting the standard wheels back on stopped this but I'd love to have the Wolfrace's back on if possible. Is there a reasonable and inexpensive workaround for this. See pics for details.
Attachments
2011-08-31 18.29.58.jpg
2011-09-01 08.51.16a.jpg
2011-09-01 08.51.02a.jpg
They call it the chav cav, I call it pure
nexus6

Re: 17 inch wheels and wheel arches

Post by nexus6 »

other pics from the inside of the Wolfrace jobbies:
Attachments
2011-08-31 18.31.52.jpg
2011-08-31 18.31.38.jpg
2011-08-31 18.31.04.jpg
nexus6

Post by nexus6 »

last pic:
Attachments
2011-08-31 18.32.10.jpg
branny361

Post by branny361 »

They should be a perfect fit with no rubbage at all as the offset of 40 is within vauxhall std parameter of between 35-49 if your photo of where its rubbing is by the rusty patch near the bottom , somethings wrong as it should never touch that part of the arch
now running a swedish vauxhall...

the old cav vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYC4wHjqAhw

the new saab vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-K5L6UDGFk
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

As above.... Is there any marking on the wheel or tyres...
Maybe its just rusting through as all Cavs do...
I have 17"s with 40mm lowered and never had them scrub anywhere... and i have towed trailers and had a fully loaded roof rack on aswell...
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Looking at your first picture your tyre size is 205/45 R17 which I'm guessing that having a 45 profile on a 17" wheel probably wouldn't help I can't see it making much difference but just a thought ;)
[center]Image
[/center]
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

et49 are vauxhall offset

et40 is why the rubbed the arches buddy as the stuck out further than et49 :thumb
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

gsi pie wrote:et49 are vauxhall offset

et40 is why the rubbed the arches buddy as the stuck out further than et49 :thumb
Yes ET49 is cavalier offset. I had some 37s on mine and exactly the same thing happened.
nexus6

Post by nexus6 »

Thanks guys. Yes, the poor pic of the rust is where the tyre ripped the outer skin of the wheel arch and made it protude into the arch and obviously lost the paintwork. I pushed the tear back in with a plastic handle and fairly forced it back but it still caught on the tyre again. I've had a mechanic glance over the suspension and they thought it was ok but without a laser alignment rig, it's hard to spot.

What's involved in this roling the arches thing? Is it a lot of work? Are these ET40 wheels destined not to go on? There seems a difference of opinion where vauxhall should handle a range of this measurement but others thnk it should be the same for all wheels? What's ET40 stand for?
planetc

Post by planetc »

Cavaliers are best kept on 49s, why don't you sell the ones you have and find some rather than struggling to make them fit?
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

Mine are et38... Dug my paperwork out...
Many ways to roll the arch. I'm just gonna cut or grind mine when I go lower.
Another is slide a scafold poll in and slowly roll the car back...
Will dig a video out later lol
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

is your car lowered? arch rolling is really only necessary if your wheels stick out too far and the car is lowered / heavy load in the boot. arch rolling can lead to all sorts of problems if not done properly (one of the main causes of wheel arch rot is where moisture and dirt collect in the lip. the moisture is retained in the dirt and then absorbs into the metal). if your lip is rolled and then becomes a moisture trap you might end up with more than just your lower arch to worry about. unless absolutely necessary i would avoid this route as at least you stand SOME chance of fighting off the metal cancer if the lip is accessible.

if you love the wheels that much i would look for the same ones but in a more suitable offset and ensure you have the right tyre size. if yours are in good nick sell 'em and use the dollar to buy the new ones :) who know you might be quids in, wolfrace aren't a premium brand so replacements should be cheap enough to come by.

i am surprised that the 40ET caused that much trouble as on standard right height even with a 40ET i wouldn't have thought it would have caught so significantly. your handling at speed can't be that great either. any front end wheel wobble around 60/70mph? mine were an even lower ET (37 iirc) and they caught the lower arch, but the car is on 40mm eibach springs, and my rear shocks were knackered so whenever i went over a bump they caught. i would recommend you check the condition of your shocks/springs to see if anything needs replacing. once i replaced the rear shocks and changed the tyres they were fine, even with the drop. then again i never have anyone in the back.

mine:

Peanut_119

Post by Peanut_119 »

i have the vec b gsi wheels with 215/40/17 tyres on the back, i had to roll my arches slightly as the rubbed when i had people in the back, but since rolling my arches i have had no problems even tho there 215 tyres
V6power

Post by V6power »

I had 205/55/16 tyres on my last V6, standard ride height and they ripped the arches to bits, my rear shocks were knackered though and I have a very bumpy dirt track to drive up to the house
If in Doubt.......Flat out!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

humbucker wrote:my rear shocks were knackered
V6power wrote:my rear shocks were knackered
a trend is developing here...!
branny361

Post by branny361 »

mines 40 lower with 205 40 17 tyres the only time i had probs was the top edge slightly touching when it bottomed out but once new shocks were fitted the problem dissapeared and the offset on mine is outside the recomendations of vauxhall so et 40 should give no probs maybe if the tyres were 40's it would give the little bit of extra clearance

now running a swedish vauxhall...

the old cav vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYC4wHjqAhw

the new saab vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-K5L6UDGFk
planetc

Post by planetc »

humbucker wrote:
humbucker wrote:my rear shocks were knackered
V6power wrote:my rear shocks were knackered
a trend is developing here...!
Hmmm, yes, looks like fitting they wrong offset will knacker your rear shocks. ;)
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"