1.8LSi - drums - short LH handbrake cables - hatch/saloon

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's brakes and suspension here
thomas

1.8LSi - drums - short LH handbrake cables - hatch/saloon

Post by thomas »

Quick question.

I've obtained a couple of new left-hand - the short pieces with threaded adjuster - handbrake cables but the packaging says on the printed cable "Vauxhall Cavalier MKIII Saloon - Rear Left, Disc or Drum"

It's the "saloon part" I'm curious about, surely there's no difference in this part between saloon and hatchback, can't imagine there would be any difference. Can anyone confirm if these will fit either 'loons or hatches?
--
Cav 1994 1.8LSi 5-dr Jungle Green Pearl: Daily. :D
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: 1.8LSi - drums - short LH handbrake cables - hatch/saloo

Post by Robsey »

I have looked at the options.

There is no diference between Saloon and Hatch.

But there is for engine size.
All cars upto 1800 cc are drum brakes.
Cable length is 755mm.
Part number is 90 375 405, which was replaced by 90 421 703.

All 2.0 litre and 2.5 litre cars are equipped with disc brakes
Cable length is 633mm.
Part number is 90 375 403.

GSi, Turbo and 4x4 are diferent again due to independent rear suspension set-up.

So - yes... can be saloon or hatchback.

But check the cable length for whether disc or drum brakes.
thomas

Post by thomas »

Hmm the plot thickens.

These are 665mm end to end, including the length of the ends (the end with rectangular slot and the threaded end). The actual length of cable only, not including the ends is 560mm.

Camera is needing a charge-up, I'll take some pics tomorrow.

If there's such a difference in length between disc-equipped and drum-equipped (as mine is), then it's puzzling how the label on the bag they're in says 'Disc or Drum'. They're not OE parts so no part numbers available, there's a number 20843 on it, but it could mean nothing at all or is just particular to an aftermarket manufacturer. They look right, Cavalier-like, might, given the length of the threaded part (70mm), at a push do for both brake types.

I've no reason at the moment to disturb the one that's on there but in the event of any work on the rear brakes will want to replace it as these are seize-prone and the part of the adjuster-rod with the flats on it is pretty rounded. At home the car is parked on a hill which makes even taking a wheel off perilous. I did loosen it off and get it turning no bother back in September, but dread to think what it will be like after the winter salt has finished with it. Thanks for the info though, it's very useful, even just to know that saloons and hatches don't differ. I came across these while searching for the long-lost threadlock, which I'm pleased to say I found and it didn't take all afternoon after all.

goodnight and thanks!
--
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

My pleasure.

Always glad to help. :)
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

thomas wrote:Hmm the plot thickens.

These are 665mm end to end, including the length of the ends (the end with rectangular slot and the threaded end). The actual length of cable only, not including the ends is 560mm.
For what it's worth, I've always found aftermarket H/B cable wildly different in length from originals. Many times actually longer than the stretched cables already on the car, or in some cases too short.

Probably best buying a proper GM set so you know what you're working with.
thomas

Re: 1.8LSi - drums - short LH handbrake cables - hatch/saloon

Post by thomas »

Came looking for this thread again. You've guessed it -the handbrake cable snapped. The end came adrift inside the RH drum, so it's the long cable. The cables I mentioned above, the short, short LH ones. I still have but they're obviously the 2.0 or 2.5 litre car ones.

If that was the original that just snapped, well done to it for lasting 25+ years, 55K miles. It never did feel right, the handbrake, it was stiff, it worked, but pulling the lever up an extra notch or more past where it usually goes didn't really increase its holding power any.

Replacing both parts during the week coming. Already have LH cable spare, exactly 755mm as Robsey says above. Have got both OEM and aftermarket long/RH cables, plus another spare LH cable, all on their way.
--
James McGrath
Club Admin

Re: 1.8LSi - drums - short LH handbrake cables - hatch/saloon

Post by James McGrath »

I've had three cables break in the last 18 months or so.
Always the way with my Cavs, one develops a problem and the rest follow suit!

Anyway, I found cables from reputable sources rather difficult to find. Seems like the supply of genuine cables has dried up.