Cav CDX 1995 X20XEV Code 24 Speed Signal

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
ed2

Cav CDX 1995 X20XEV Code 24 Speed Signal

Post by ed2 »

If the car is fine but this code 24 'vehicle speed signal' is stored anyone have any guesses what to do ?

I also have code 92 camsensor but i alway get that. I wiggle the wire from time to time and it chuggs on for last nine years. My eb I will do a mod wire sometime.

Also I was pleased, - I do not dirve it much but when I took it for a test drive the other day it averaged 50mpg on a 160 miles M4 motorway driving at 60mph or just shy of 60mph. As most know that is what teh book say an X20XEV will do in a cav CDX. (The CDX is heavy from air con our previous x16sz would do 60+mpg at those speeds.)
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Cav CDX 1995 X20XEV Code 24 Speed Signal

Post by Robsey »

Regarding the speed signal issue.

As yours is a late model CDX, it will no doubt have ABS fitted.

There are two positions where problems may occur.

1) ABS sensor toothed rings on the CV joints. - These can become corroded and crack, or just fill with crud, affecting the air gap between the teeth of the ring, and the pick-up sensor.
Check each of these rings for corrosion, cracks or dirt.

The sensor / pick-up itself can be knocked by stones etc, so check that these are clean and securely / corectly fitted.
Check the wiring connectors further up the loom - ensure that the connectors are clean, free from corrosion / moisture and that they are securely connected.

2) Internal connector to ECU - Just below the ECU in the driver's side kick panel, are three square connectors.
One of these will have a blue/red wire on it. This is the main calculated speed wire for the ECU.

On occasions, corrosion in the a-pillar or windscreen frame has got to a point where water ingress has occured, or a drain channel tube is blocked, the result of this is that water can enter the cabin, and the connector can get wet, and potentialy suffer from corrosion.

Have you cleared the fault codes first (disconnect battery for 15 minutes or so), and then re-checked that code 24 comes back on a short drive.

If the fault code does not come back, then you have nothing to do. It is a historic fault that no longer exists.

If code 24 pops back up, then just check the points that I noted above,
ed2

Re: Cav CDX 1995 X20XEV Code 24 Speed Signal

Post by ed2 »

Thanks, very helpful. As the car is parked up much, your first explanation of corrosion on the abs ring is very likely.