V6 re map

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Cavdvm

V6 re map

Post by Cavdvm »

Hi everyone this is my first post I hope ur all well, I have got a lovely v6 manual and was wondering about any engine modifications that there are avalible , has anyone had one re mapped or chipped? I know there's is a light fly wheel upgrade too, any advice would be greatly appreciated cheers
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: V6 re map

Post by humbucker »

Hello CavDVM, nice to meet you. Sadly, the Motronic ECU in the V6 can't be mapped or chipped in the way I'm guessing you want it to be, however, it is adaptive and will 'learn' the fuelling and airflow characteristics that new equipment brings. These settings can then be saved onto a GM Tech 1 diagnostic device with a writable cartridge so that your car doesn't have to learn the altered parameters all over again if, say, your battery dies. Of course, the ECU will simply relearn your changes all over again if it does lose power, so a loss of data isn't the end of the world, but perhaps a tad inconvenient!

As for modifications, a lot of it depends on budget, but the single biggest route to more power and torque would be to swap your engine's bottom end and cylinder heads with those of a 3.2-litre V6 out of an Omega. Use your car's existing ancillaries, inlet and exit gas pipework. The Omega engine shares the same external physical properties as the 2.5-litre found in the Cavalier, so it really is a plug and play job that will bag you 50bhp and 53lb/ft torque in the process! Hoorah!

Or just throw a K&N panel filter on your 2.5 ;)
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Also, give the ol' girl a good service and make sure you clear the infamous breather system. It's a straightforward enough job, just a bit mucky. Here's a guide: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=5019&p=46851
dazzlersri

Post by dazzlersri »

Post up some pictures if you can would like to see the car !
K343 RRL 1992 SRi 8v SEH - RIP
L750 BUY 1994 4x4 turbo