Gear linkage popped off

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
cavalier1990

Gear linkage popped off

Post by cavalier1990 »

Hi

Mt gear linkage balljoint popped off. Not the one that has ball joint on each end but the big one at the back with that plastic cover over it. The cover look shot but I'm assuming that kind of keeps the rods in check as the ball joint is much smaller than the hole it fits into.

Any quick fix information just to get me to work until I get new part? I'm actually thinking of wrapping the plastic locator thing in black tape just to tighten it up and see if that works.

Cheers

Andrew
cavalier1990

Re: Gear linkage popped off

Post by cavalier1990 »

The thing I found strange is there seems to be parts missing from here. The only thing I found was the plastic cap that goes over the ball joint on the selector. The plastic socket for the ball joint was not there, so assuming it's worn out and fell out. However there is a collar round the top of it and a circlip on the bottom so a bit strange it has disappeared. Can see this on the diagram below, no 10/11 are not there, no 9 was retrieved.

http://ecat24.com/opel/catalog/part/1/39/348/987/9885/
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If the ball is much smaller, then I suggest that it is worn - it should be a modestly snug fit into it's socket.

Some ball joints have locating pegs to prevent the ball dropping out of it's cup or socket. Obvious examples of this are the base of the gear stick and the throttle cable attachment on the throttle body.

I am at a bit of a loss as to where you mean exactly - A photo or two would be useful.
I can't quite picture the offending ball and socket joint... my brain is a bit addled today.

If wrapping in tape will make a good enough fit to prevent the joint from dropping apart, then go for it.

If you have aa or rac breakdown, call them out. They often carry nifty "get you home" clips and stuff on their vans. - Just a thought.

I wrote most of this whilst you were writing, so hope it is still relevant.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Ah okay - now I understand.

Could you not use some stranded electrical wire to tie the top (ball joint) down onto the ring-type receiver socket.?

Tight enough to stop too much up / down movement, but loose enough to allow the joint to swivel.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Thanks for suggestions Robsey.

I had a look at it tonight and couldn't really think of a way to fix it even temporarily without worrying about it popping out again. I reckon that as I had trouble with 5th gear, I was having to sometimes slam the lever over and forward to get it in, I think this has precipitated the demise of no 10 ball socket in this diagram:

http://ecat24.com/opel/images/Opel/J89/H/46.jpg

With this socket missing the size of the socket hole in relation to the ball is massive and can't think of any other way to keep that central other than actually fitting a new part or some wizard engineering!

Looks like a week of training it to work again!
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

I'm going to have to remove the whole linkage but wondering how to remove the swivel joint. In the diagram attached it is part 19 I am trying to remove:

http://ecat24.com/opel/catalog/part/1/39/348/987/9885/

Any ideas?

Thanks

Andrew
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

Open up the lugs on it and it will pull out. May need to use a screw driver to lever it out. Use grease on it when you refit it.

Greig
1993 Cavalier SRi C20XE (off road till better weather comes)
Astra SRi XP 150 estate 1.9 (the run around)
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Lifted lugs out on top and it's not budging, seems like this is some sort of pin down through C shaped clamp. Will i need to take whole engine mount off?
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

My smart idea was to try and got underneath where the pin goes through and try and force it up with a small chisel where the little black arrow is, however have now fractured the mount it is on as well. :wall

Starting to think I'm doing something wrong here with trying to remove this as it won't budge. I lifted the lugs, chapped under it with a flat blade where yellow arrow is then twisted it clockwise/anti clockwise with a pair of big grips to loosen it then hope it would start to lift up (blue arrow) but no joy. Anything else I am missing here? I seen on other posts in other forums about a pin, but can't see any pin.
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

No pin holding it in . It will just be tight because it's probably never been moved since the car was made. Try some WD40 and wiggling it about till it pulls out.

Greig
1993 Cavalier SRi C20XE (off road till better weather comes)
Astra SRi XP 150 estate 1.9 (the run around)