Recommissioning a C20LET

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Tibs

Recommissioning a C20LET

Post by Tibs »

My LET has been stood for a while, a few years actually, and I'm looking to get the old girl going again this year.

I have a little knowledge, but am far from an expert here.

Any tips/checklist etc on what sort of work I need to be doing engine-wise to get it back to fine fettle?
Cavalier342

Re: Recomissioning a C20LET

Post by Cavalier342 »

Well generally speaking, it's recommended that you drain the oil, put fresh oil in and filter, check/clean or replace the plugs, check the leads, distributor, generally the whole ignition system for perished leads/rusty connections, etc. Depending on when the timing belt was last changed, maybe replace that along with the water pump, coolant obviously as well, give it a good flush and drain before putting in fresh coolant, put fresh unleaded in the tank, try to drain any if there's still some left in the tank as it would have gone stale by now, and replace the fuel filter too. Check/clean the air filter if necessary, and see how she goes.

So basically, change all fluids/filters and service items.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Hi Matthew, and welcome to the club! :)

I'd be inclined to get the engine's fuel injectors ultrasonically cleaned with all new filters (see http://www.injectortune.co.uk) as well as the service items that Andrei mentions. Has the engine been standing outside or indoors? I wonder what condition its gaskets are in? If you're replacing the timing belt and water pump (if not, then you should do!) you could buy a complete gasket set, whip the head off, replace the HG and every other included o-ring, seal, gasket etc. A kit should include exhaust manifold, cam cover, downpipe, cylinder head gaskets etc. In fact, I have a brand new genuine kit kicking around if you need to know what's included and the part number.

I guess it depends on how far you want to go with the overhaul? Clean out the sump/pick up pipe, replace valve stem seals etc. How fresh is fresh?!

Do you know what condition the turbocharger is in? Prime it with oil before firing it up.

Any smoke from the engine before you retired it? I'm just thinking about piston ring replacement etc.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It is all down to history...

I would say do the timing belt and tensioner anyway.
It would be daft not to.

And a minimum of a full service.
Fluids and filters.
This would probably be enough if it has been looked after previously before being put in storage.

Dan (Humbucker) is hinting at virtually refurbing the engine.
I would recommend a refurb, if you know it has been thrashed.. like many XE's and LET's usually have been.

And no matter what - check the condition of any hoses and pipes ( fuel, coolant or breather / vacuum pipes).
Tibs

Post by Tibs »

humbucker wrote:Hi Matthew, and welcome to the club! :)

I'd be inclined to get the engine's fuel injectors ultrasonically cleaned with all new filters (see http://www.injectortune.co.uk) as well as the service items that Andrei mentions. Has the engine been standing outside or indoors? I wonder what condition its gaskets are in? If you're replacing the timing belt and water pump (if not, then you should do!) you could buy a complete gasket set, whip the head off, replace the HG and every other included o-ring, seal, gasket etc. A kit should include exhaust manifold, cam cover, downpipe, cylinder head gaskets etc. In fact, I have a brand new genuine kit kicking around if you need to know what's included and the part number.

I guess it depends on how far you want to go with the overhaul? Clean out the sump/pick up pipe, replace valve stem seals etc. How fresh is fresh?!

Do you know what condition the turbocharger is in? Prime it with oil before firing it up.

Any smoke from the engine before you retired it? I'm just thinking about piston ring replacement etc.
Thanks Dan, good to be here!

As far as I know, there wasn't any smoke when it was parked up, so hoping there are no issues there. Turbo seemed ok before, but take on board your point. Excuse my ignorance here though, how would I go about priming it with oil?
It has been outdoors, under covers and away from the worst of the elements. Was planning on doing the belt, water pump and tensioners etc as a matter of course, and had thought about a refurb. Funds are not great and the ongoing budget will not be huge, no blank cheques or credit cards here, so will be needing to be realistic about things. Still want to do the job right, but have to be honest with myself more than anything.
Think a refurb is the way to go though, be my luck that if I don't, I'll regret it shortly after!

Thinking of dropping Autovaux a line or two, with a list of wants. Not dealt with them before, hearing good things though, am I right?

Kit contents and part number would be a good start Dan if you don't mind?
Tibs

Post by Tibs »

Robsey wrote:It is all down to history...

I would say do the timing belt and tensioner anyway.
It would be daft not to.

And a minimum of a full service.
Fluids and filters.
This would probably be enough if it has been looked after previously before being put in storage.

Dan (Humbucker) is hinting at virtually refurbing the engine.
I would recommend a refurb, if you know it has been thrashed.. like many XE's and LET's usually have been.

And no matter what - check the condition of any hoses and pipes ( fuel, coolant or breather / vacuum pipes).
Thanks for the input here, will check the hoses over too. Many hose options out there if replacements are needed, any go-to guys?
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

It shouldn't cost a lot to recommission the engine. The main expense will be your timing kit. There are plenty of places to buy parts that won't break the bank. eBay is an obvious place to look, but http://www.genuinepartsearch.co.uk/ (an arm of Autovaux) and http://www.carpartsconnexion.com/ (a search of main dealer surplus stock) are invaluable resources when looking for genuine parts at rock bottom prices. Have a look here too: viewforum.php?f=54.

I'll report back with the gasket kit part number.

As for hoses, Roose Motorsport manufacture complete silicone hose kits for C20LET applications in a variety of vehicles (including Astras). The firm provides the ideal 'off-the-shelf' hose solution, but ASH are also worth looking at for lengths of various diameter silicone hoses at remarkably low prices. Unlike Roose hoses, ASH gear is not moulded to suit the application, but they're worth checking out if you want straight lengths of colour-coded silicone pipework. Samco are also worth checking out, although they don't tend to do as much for engines that are being bolted into cars that are not the original host vehicle.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I have used all the following in the past, and a few at the moment whilst my car is being restored.

Autovaux, Genuine Parts Search.

Vauxhall Superstore

Vauxhall World Parts

Vauxhall Green Parts

LMF Vauxhall (better for later car part - but they do cheap lambda sensors).

All have been quick and supplied pukka items.
Infact, I received a full set of 8 door pins from Auto Vaux this morning that I only ordered on Thursday night.
Post wasn't cheap, but overall still much cheaper than pattern parts from ebay.

You will be surprised how cheap many genuine parts are.
Tibs

Post by Tibs »

Thanks guys.

Enquiry submitted to Roose, will need to double check engine number etc before contacting others for parts availability and prices, hope to do this over the weekend.

Any other hints, tips, recommendations all welcome!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Basic top end kit:
http://www.vauxhallworldparts.com/vauxh ... r=90443999

Kit with Z20LET head gasket and valve stem seals etc.:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111868932034

Check your engine number and take a look at your timing belt cover before ordering a timing kit. Early C20LETs had one less tensioner and a different type of belt to the later engines.
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Is it only me that was thinking stick a battery on it, crank it over a few times and start it up.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

You could indeed do just that.

I think that we were just erring on the side of caution.

Depends totally on the environment that it was stored in, and by what is meant by a couple of years
Not being daft - I know generally speaking, a couple is two or three years. But I bought an engine for my camper van, what I thought was a couple of years ago..
It turns out that in reality, I have had it five years. Time flies.

As such - If I wind my neck in...
You could indeed do a visual check and give stuff a quick clean (plugs etc).
Then if all looks okay, do as TurboDan describes.

Just try firing the car up.
They seem to do that all the time on wheeler dealers - lol
(Although we all know that it was heavily scripted, edited and fudged together).
Tibs

Post by Tibs »

humbucker wrote:Basic top end kit:
http://www.vauxhallworldparts.com/vauxh ... r=90443999

Kit with Z20LET head gasket and valve stem seals etc.:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111868932034

Check your engine number and take a look at your timing belt cover before ordering a timing kit. Early C20LETs had one less tensioner and a different type of belt to the later engines.
Thank you Dan :-)

Are all engines the same with regards the Gasket Kits?

Any benefit in going for a kit with Z20LET gasket?

Apologies for the many questions!!
Tibs

Post by Tibs »

I was thinking of just putting a battery on it and away we go, but knowing me, and knowing how my finances can go, any jobs wouldn't get done!!

I'd mean to get round to them, and put them off....

So, with the best will in the world, I'm wanting to do it as best as I can. Currently have the cash to buy a few bits, so let's do that. Otherwise I may not have that cash when things are needed.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

I guess if you're gonna recondition the engine anyway, you're just as well to do it now while it is out of the car and you have easy access to work around it.

AFAIK, all C20LET head gasket kits are the same, but timing belts differ between early and late engines.

Unlike the C20LET head gasket, the Z20LET part has a modern multi-layer steel design. If memory serves correctly, I think you have to drill out three of the four metal rivets in order to use one on a C20LET.
Tibs

Post by Tibs »

Thanks for that info Dan. The engine wont be coming out of the car, but I'd like to do as much as I can with it still between the wings if I can.

Roose have been in touch, they don't do a kit for my car sadly, the nearest is a Mk3 Astra conversion, and I'm not certain that they are the same. Close, but bound to have differences.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Ah, my mistake. I thought the engine was already on the floor. :scratch
Tibs

Post by Tibs »

Any recommendations on plug leads? Any makes thought of as 'best' for the model?

Happy to go with plain 'standard' as it will help with costs I'm guessing, but if it's worth a little extra money for noticeably better, then I'm happy to do so.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Magnecor KV85 8.5mm Competition leads all the way. Expect to pay around £130 new.
Tibs

Post by Tibs »

Thanks for the info. They may have to wait, but will be added to the list.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

A good quality set of new leads will do the trick. I guess it's a matter of working out what to buy and when. Nothing worse than a long shopping list and an ever-decreasing budget!
Tibs

Post by Tibs »

I'm at work and have no way of checking this, and I'm having a bit of a brain fart and can't remember anything currently......

Looking at something listed as for later twin roller engines (20XE/LET).

Would mine be such an engine?
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

For the timing belt kit? The way to tell is to look at your timing belt cover. The later ones have an additional roller (and a toothed/different length belt) that adds a bulge. I'll see if I can find a picture of the two. Back in a mo...
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Early timing belt cover(s):

Late timing belt cover. Note the bulge on the right hand side to accommodate the extra idler (the cover is pictured upside down here, so the bulge is on the left as you look at it):

Tibs

Post by Tibs »

Great Dan, thank you for that.

Is there a known engine number change for that?

I've my engine number with me, but no way of visually checking the car/engine for that 'bulge'.