Engine work

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
chrisash86

Engine work

Post by chrisash86 »

Evening all I am about to buy a Cav 1.8 8v. I am going to restore it but I need some advice what's the best way to sort the engine out in a view to getting more power out of and get it running well ?
Cavalier342

Re: Engine work

Post by Cavalier342 »

A bloody good service, change all fluids, gearbox oil too, give the cam cover gauze a clean out, throttle body, look at cleaning the injector if it needs it, basically keep the components as fresh as possible and the engines will work well. You'll never get massive power of of the 8valvers, but after owning a carb and a single injection 1.8 engines, the latter for 6 years, I can tell you that trying to modify them isn't productive. If yours is a K-reg or earlier, you can get away with a cat-back exhaust system. That will help.

Andrei.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
thegriffin

Post by thegriffin »

If you're thinking of removing the cat you might like
to check it's still allowed. I think the rules have
changed.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

If you want more power, how about an engine swap to something with more 'get up and go'?