Vauxhall Cavailer 3.0 V6

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Jay_1980

Vauxhall Cavailer 3.0 V6

Post by Jay_1980 »

Hi all I have picked up a Vauxhall Cavalier 3.0 V6.
on the log book it says 2969cc

did they ever make one or has this been converted.

As in the boot there is a F28 6 speed gearbox and gear selector

so it looks like someone was going to convert it to 6 speed for some reason. .

There is nothing on the log book to say its been converted to a 3.0 V6 and the DVLA said that
it came off the factory line as a 3.0 or it would say on the logbook its had a engine change.

Could anyone shed some light.
Cavalier342

Re: Vauxhall Cavailer 3.0 V6

Post by Cavalier342 »

Far as I know mate, there was no 2969cc engine fitted to a Cavalier in the factory. Biggest engine they had was the C25XE..

Definitely a conversion, maybe the person/company that did the conversion went to great detail to make it look genuine though...
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Jay_1980

Post by Jay_1980 »

This is what I have been told by a few people...

but what totally confuses me is how come it says 2969cc on the logbook

as they would of had to tell the DVLA and I cant see them leaving off the fact its a conversion.

when I took it for a mot today the guy said someone has gone tho some hassle with this car

as its a gls model and has the battery gauge and oil gauge on the dash. and electric windows all round.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Ye, possibly could have been a demonstrator model with the electric windows but the gauges are Calibra Turbo units, and the engine definitely isn't factory. Not bad though for a GLS! :lol:
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

DVLA don't put down whether it's been converted, only the engine size. Cav's were never made with a 3.0, so definitely a conversion. Battery and oil gauge would be add on's from the Calibra - it's a popular mod.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

No Cavalier was equipped with an X30XE as that particular engine wasn't available until the introduction of the Omega (which came AFTER the demise of the Cavalier!).

Fitting a 3.0-litre to a Cavalier is easy IF it is replacing a C/X25XE. To my knowledge, no GLS was fitted with a V6, which might explain your MOT operator's remarks. Whoever did the conversion must have listed it with the DVLA for it to appear on your logbook. This is a good sign. Some more info on the car/engine number would enable us to provide more info (if available).

Get some pics up in the work in progress / showroom sections.
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

humbucker wrote:No Cavalier was equipped with an X30XE as that particular engine wasn't available until the introduction of the Omega (which came AFTER the demise of the Cavalier!).

Fitting a 3.0-litre to a Cavalier is easy IF it is replacing a C/X25XE. To my knowledge, no GLS was fitted with a V6, which might explain your MOT operator's remarks. Whoever did the conversion must have listed it with the DVLA for it to appear on your logbook. This is a good sign. Some more info on the car/engine number would enable us to provide more info (if available).

Get some pics up in the work in progress / showroom sections.
Mine is a GLS V6 manual, 620 cars were registered in the uk.
I also converted it to a 3 litre a few years ago.
6 speed is supposed to be a worthwhile mod, std 5 speed F25 gearing is a bit long, but I find it not too bad with the 3litres extra torque compared to the 2.5.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

iancav6 wrote:Mine is a GLS V6 manual, 620 cars were registered in the uk
Ah yes, I stand corrected.
iancav6 wrote: 6 speed is supposed to be a worthwhile mod, std 5 speed F25 gearing is a bit long, but I find it not too bad with the 3litres extra torque compared to the 2.5.
Yeah, I always felt that my V6 CDX was in dire need of a sixth gear. It absolutely flew with all the 3-litre gubbins on it, and it really coulda done with the sixth slot.