Any rusty leaky sumps on here!

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
cavalier1990

Any rusty leaky sumps on here!

Post by cavalier1990 »

Hi

Just wondering if any of you ever had to change sump due to rust, and mainly because a leak was starting? How much did you pay for the sump? Mine was leaking from a little rusty hole at the top front, probably just near the level of the oil and was getting blown down the sum, back across the N/S driveshafts/Box and bulkhead + my driveway!

You might gasp at this but I never replaced the old gasket, simply because the rubber gasket looked in VGC, and it has those little metal collars for each bolt so you don't mash the gasket when you're tightening it, the aftermarket gasket didn't. The gasket stayed in place on the block when I removed sump so just left it there, cleaned it with some spirits and put gasket sealant round new sump edge.

Only thing was, and I seen this coming a mile off, was I had to drop the downpipe and guess what 2 of the studs snapped, although out of sheer luck my handy easy-out got both of them removed.

Nother job done!

1.8 cav M plate
sribobby

Re: Any rusty leaky sumps on here!

Post by sribobby »

I replaced the sump gasket on my Sri as The front was leaking, used paste aswell and it still leaks. Nightmare
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Those studs snap for fun :(
Glad you got things sorted without any major dramas.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
thegriffin

Post by thegriffin »

I changed mine a few years ago.Not difficult but recall oil kept dripping down onto the mating surface even after the engine had stood for more than a day.