vibration and torque steer to left, intermittent

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
jimzzr

vibration and torque steer to left, intermittent

Post by jimzzr »

Hi,

Returning from wales today in torrential rain started to get quite bad vibration through steering wheel. At first thought it might be a puncture and stopped, found nothing . Carried on a problem dissappeared for about a hour of motorway driving then occurred again and has now gone again.

Under trainling throttle car felt fine, but under acceleration vibrated and pulled slightly to left.

I'm thinking perhaps one of the inner driveshaft jints might be failing.

Any other thoughts, the intermittent nature seems strange.

car is a 94 1.7 TD.

Thanks

Jim
Cavalier342

Re: vibration and torque steer to left, intermittent

Post by Cavalier342 »

Have you checked the outer CV gaiters? If they are split, it could be a worn joint, as they are critical to the steering set up.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Yes sounds like a drive shaft has no grease. It's probably dead now
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
planetc

Post by planetc »

Outer cv joint by the sounds of it
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

A tea and biscuits job
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
jimzzr

Post by jimzzr »

Cheers guys I'll be back once I've had a chance to crawl under and take a look. I always associated outer joint failure with knocking on full lock?

Anyway if there ins't an obvious offender, am I correct in thinking that torque steer to left would suggest a problem with the left hand shaft?

Many Thanks

Jim
jimzzr

Post by jimzzr »

jimzzr wrote:Cheers guys I'll be back once I've had a chance to crawl under and take a look. I always associated outer joint failure with knocking on full lock?

Anyway if there ins't an obvious offender, am I correct in thinking that torque steer to left would suggest a problem with the left hand shaft?

Many Thanks

Jim
Had a quick look , now that it's finally stopped raining, and the boots on both outer sides are split.

You guys seem fairly sure it would be an outer rather than inner joint and the split boot would suggest that as well.

So do I buy a new complete shaft, but then I'd need to be sure which side. Or buy a couple of boots and an outer joint.

Thanks

Jim
planetc

Post by planetc »

I'd buy a joint kit, which comes with a boot, in fact I would buy a pair and that is exactly what I did when my nearside went the same way. Purchased from eBay, about £36 all in for both. Inner joints don't suffer like the outers and will outlive them by a long way.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Yep well worth doing the pair while you're at it. If it wasn't causing any issues, then the boots themselves would need replacing but if it's got to the point where it affects driving then it's too dangerous to leave.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Rage

Post by Rage »

mine did exactly the same on the way down to plymouth after I touched an angled kurb to get out the way of a copper. managed to get me home though but it was a nightmare to drive and it was all down to the outer cv joint for the sake of £40 you can get a complete cv kit with boot clips and grease and that will cure the problem and save you wrestling your cav about
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
jimzzr

Post by jimzzr »

Rage wrote:mine did exactly the same on the way down to plymouth after I touched an angled kurb to get out the way of a copper. managed to get me home though but it was a nightmare to drive and it was all down to the outer cv joint for the sake of £40 you can get a complete cv kit with boot clips and grease and that will cure the problem and save you wrestling your cav about
Two new outer cv joints fitted. Nearside one was pretty bad. Hopefully this will cure the problem, although there was perceptable play on the inner joint as well. Mind you they have done at least 100k since I've had the car possibly a lot more.

Pretty straightforward job apart from those bloody circlips.

Cheers

Jim