fuel tank opps

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
hipo1024

fuel tank opps

Post by hipo1024 »

While under the rear end doing some routine welding I noticed that there was a loose pipe hanging over the rear beam, looked around and as can be seen in the pic it's broken off the fuel tank. Looks like a breather, the other end connects upto a block thing up near the filler hole. The other pipe that also connects to the top of the filler seems to disappear down the side of the tank so I'm assuming that's still connected. Can I get away with just blocking this broken off pipe up or does it need it to vent the tank so it doesn't collapse in on itself when it gets low on fuel? I have the mot on Wednesday so need to sort it asap

The pipe is the darkest one (covered in diesel and grime) that's resting on the handbrake adjuster. You can see where it used to be connected to the tank where the light ring is between the bigger 2 pipes

Daily driver: '55 Jeep GC CRD 3.0 v6
SORN'd car: '93 1.7td Cavalier

If it ain't broke, fix it til it is :)
Kevwaggy

Re: fuel tank opps

Post by Kevwaggy »

I don't think that's a breather I think it's the actual return pipe? Can you trace where it goes
"You offer someone a sincere compliment on their moustache and suddenly she's not your friend anymore"

I've decided I would really like a sex change, preferably from 'none' to 'absolutely shitloads'
hipo1024

Post by hipo1024 »

The return connects to the front of the tank, this one connects at the top of the filler pipe

This is the other end of it

iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Could be the vent pipe to let air out when filling the tank, has it snapped off the tank completely ?
hipo1024

Post by hipo1024 »

Yep :( a nice rusty break with maybe 1 or 2mm remaining, definitely not enough to reattach to, dont really want to have to drill and tap the tank and I think dropping the tank will cause yet more problems

planetc

Post by planetc »

If it has broken away at the union on the tank then you are looking at a tank replacement
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

Exactly the same happened to the V6 a few years ago,fitted a new tank from Hadrian.
Had a drama with the tank retaining straps being rusty,couldn't buy any new ones so made some instead.

http://www.carbodypanels4u.co.uk/vauxha ... 3-facelift

"Other tanks are available" as they say on radio
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

iangsi wrote:Could be the vent pipe to let air out when filling the tank, has it snapped off the tank completely ?
Looks like a vent pipe to me judging by the small diameter. I would look around the garage/ house for a bit of copper or steel pipe that's a tight fit (maybe brake or fuel pipe but just about anything'll do, can't tell size from a photo) in the hole left in the tank.
Thoroughly clean to bare metal for about 1/2" round the break. Cut pipe to about 1 1/4" and key with abrasive.(You can also slightly flare one end if you've got the tool)
Insert the cut pipe into the hole by about 1/4" then fix in place with a cold-weld product (JB weld etc.), leave to fully set, usually about 24 hrs.
Next remove the old bit of pipe from the rubber tube, thoroughly clean inside for a couple of inches .
When the cold-weld has cured slip a jubilee-clip on the rubber tube, evenly coat your new bit of pipe with blue hylomar sealant(it's diesel resistant), leave for 10 mins to allow the solvent to evaporate, then slide the rubber onto the pipe and tighten jubilee clip.
:idea: probably just me but i'd grab some underbody gunge once everything's set and coat the repair so it blends in :no
Good luck with mot ;)
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
hipo1024

Post by hipo1024 »

Funnily enough a guy at work said something very close to that. Drilling the tank shouldn't put too much debris into the tank as the drill bit will pull most of it outwards so that looks like the best idea. Halfords (were I work) don't sell jb weld so here's hoping chemical metal will do the job :) I have some brake line and flaring tool so alone with a oil and filter change that's what I'm doing tonight then :) cheers for the replys and I'll let you know how it goes

hipo1024

Post by hipo1024 »

Well yesterday I fixed it. Worked a treat and so far seems to be doing the job aok :)

Step 1: jack it up

Step 2: find and drill problem

Step 3: make the pipe to fix the problem

Step 4: leak fix (simular to chemical metal) the pipe into the tank and reattach the pipe with a clamp. Problem solved (hopefully)