putting Vx Semi 10 40 in someone else diesel

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
ed2

putting Vx Semi 10 40 in someone else diesel

Post by ed2 »

A releaviue needs to change his oil asap and a bit skint (or just tight) . Does anyone know if it is safe to put my GM semi 10 40 oil in his 1998 rover 2.0 diesel (turbo)?

He drives the rover TD as he was driving an X20XEV lpg factory fitted by GM koltec, but as he too often drives screaming the revs to max through the gears. And when you dip the clutch at max revs on lpg, the LPG suddenly builds up in the air trunking as the revs dip for a briefest moment, and the lpg ignites and blows the trunking (blows all sensors MAF and air temp). It is a well knwon problems that happens also on petrol supercars like porsche, where itis £300 a time to replace the air box that blows off. There are valves we fitted to the air trunking to release the pressure to save vx x20xev trunking getting blown off, but that does not protect the sensors. So we use the TD for now
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: putting Vx Semi 10 40 in someone else diesel

Post by humbucker »

Wouldn't the diesel (turbo) need fully synthetic oil?
ed2

Post by ed2 »

the diesel is the old perkins but with a 1990s update to the design, so it does not use fully synthetic. 15 40 is recommended by the manufacturer and 10 40 used by those who know about running these engines. i just need to check any adverse effect of GM semi 10 40 meant for petrol engines going in the diesel
Ben_L

Post by Ben_L »

ed2 wrote:the diesel is the old perkins but with a 1990s update to the design, so it does not use fully synthetic. 15 40 is recommended by the manufacturer and 10 40 used by those who know about running these engines. i just need to check any adverse effect of GM semi 10 40 meant for petrol engines going in the diesel

Vauxhall told me the 10/40w Semi is safe in both Petrol AND Diesel... But I'd be a bit dubious before putting it in a non-GM engine.

I thought the 1998 Series had Rover L-Series Rover derived engine.

The only cars to use the Perkins were Maestro/Montego/LRDiscovery1???
ed2

Post by ed2 »

i think you are right on all of what you say.

I understrand the 10 40 oil will go in diesel but it is wise to check more widely for using in the rover, so that why I am posting in case someone knows, maybe from doing it themselves

i read somewhere that the rover diesel engine in the 400 in late 1990s is not the perkins but derived from the perkins. Am guessing but I imagined it to be like most of the vauxhall engines are derived from not that many engine blocks
planetc

Post by planetc »

I don't think it'd be a problem using anything short of cooking oil, you'll just need to change it more often. It's a Rover, it doesn't really matter does it, lol.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
ed2

Post by ed2 »

thanks for the replies.

Yes - the Rover swipe makes me happy. These Rovers did not sell well when new, or second hand. So when looking for a quick bargain they can be great. The more rover swipes the cheaper these cars get. I got this one, - a clean 1999 model with 100k miles goes great, averages 45 to 50 mpg, but can do 70mpg on a run, 5 months MOT £400 - but - with £150 worth of tax on iit

So what was that about Rovers?
Super89

Post by Super89 »

The Rover 400 & 200 model sold well..There alot better than people give them credit for, Still see loads about..