Gearchange sloppines

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
Gaz

Gearchange sloppines

Post by Gaz »

My car is knocking on a bit now 140k miles and ive noticed the gear change has got sloppy. Ive been working out the weak points and i have it sussed (only took a couple of months)

To make your gearchange sharper, you need to do the following things

1) change all the bushes and the bar across the top of the linkage - including the bush that the linkage pivots on

The bar controls the left right movement and the base the front back so you can see if you have any movement

2) Change the bush that joins the linkage to the box - £4.16

3) Check your leaver for play - if you find some pad it out with some cable ties, its a bodge but it works, you want to have to put the leaver in with some force but get some white grease in to ensure it moves freely

Ive also changed mine to a mk4 astra one - its a bit shorter but not worth paying more than a fiver for
I also changed the section that the gearleaver sits in but for the cost and effort involved i wouldnt bother but there was a minor difference but if your a perfectionist

At this point you realise how poor your old linkage was and love the change, but for me it wasnt perfect so i was realigning the linkage and it still wasnt right - mines amplified by the fact its custom rather than oe

I noticed that the play that was left was at the bush were it joins to the gearbox - even thou the one i replaced was well worn it still had play, i tried replacing the bars that holds it in position and there was still play.

After a bit of a look a 13mm bolt fits snugly in the bush and allows for next to no movement - but wont fit at one side as one of the holes narrow for the end of the clip 10mins with a drill and open the hole out, replace the pin with a 13mm bolt but just a touch longer than it needs to be as too long and they catch on the box but use a threadlock bolt (you dont want it to come undone) and bolt it up tight

Result a 1000% better gearchange

Btw dont attempt to buy white grease at vaux its £15 a tube (toothpaste tube size)
Rich P

Re: Gearchange sloppines

Post by Rich P »

usefull info but shouldnt have to do that for another 30k yet
Drives a 1989 Mk3 cav sri 2.0 8v SEH