z18xe in cavalier?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
stevemac

z18xe in cavalier?

Post by stevemac »

As title really gents, is it easy to do and what exactly would I need? Engine, looms, ECU, box I'd guess...
Reason is, the car I'm picking up Saturday has a c20ne in, and the cars a 1.8gls. I thought well I may as well chuck in a younger more powerful engine that's a 1.8 from Vauxhall, and I shouldn't have any issues with insurance.
As well as the fact they go for 10 a penny compared to bigger engines.
What sort of budget would I be looking at for everything to do the swap?
Its a mate that'd be doing the swap for me by the way. I'm just paying him mates rates to do it.
Finally, if anyone knows if it can be done and what's needed, is anyone selling this kind of package? I'm wanting one on payday, next Friday.
Cheers lads!
Stee
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: z18xe in cavalier?

Post by Envoy CDX »

NEver seen it done to comment. Though technically you still have an extra 8 valves to contend with insurance wise. and about 35-40bhp more than stock.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
vauxtillidie

Post by vauxtillidie »

Isn't the z18xe fly by wire? If so that and the immobiliser is the biggest headache but is doable. Turbo dan did one in the nova. I think I'm right in saying that it's a small block engine so doubt the c20ne mounts would fit
2006 Flame Red Astra VXR 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70+ AUX In, CID, Bluetooth, Sight & Light, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All Retrofitted by me :)
stevemac

Post by stevemac »

It is fly by wire yes and it is 16v, however I should imagine it would be a lot less suspicious than a turbo or a redtop or similar. I just expected an ecotec engine that's a 1.8 would be possible to get away with. What is the other option for 1.8s that I can put in? Cheers!
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Keep the ne. I really have a soft spot for the 2.0 litre 8v. Good performance and economy
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

As above!!! Bomb proof engine!!
Unless you are going to put a turbo in it why change it :P
planetc

Post by planetc »

NE all the way
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I don't see the point in putting in a "younger" engine, it's way too much effort for barely any result... As Chris said, unless you're going to turbo it, then leave it be.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

As said allready the z18xe is fly-by-wire and so is allot more work to wire up and new pedal etc...

The engine you would want to buy is the x18xe1 which is exactly the same but uses a throttle cable as normal and also has a much nicer 4 branch style exhaust manifold where as the z18xe has a very restrictive manicat.

Both engines are small block and so thats why the nova and corsa boys love them as they bolt straight in to them using all the same mounts and gearbox driveshafts etc... where as in ur cav youd have to change all that as yours is currently big block.

Id say its not a great engine to be putting in a cav.