1990 Cavalier GSi 2000 2WD 3.0 V6 in Silver!

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
McFall1984

Re: 1990 Cavalier GSi 2000 2WD 3.0 V6 in Silver!

Post by McFall1984 »

thats a bummer :wall
head gasket going twice very fast? must be a problem somewere
CavT

Post by CavT »

McFall1984 wrote:thats a bummer :wall
head gasket going twice very fast? must be a problem somewere
Second engine.

2.5 V6 engine died, and now head gasket failure on the 3.0 V6.

Cheap 2.5 V6's are plentiful, but cheap 3.0 and 3.2 are not anymore, Omegas are fetching strong money due to Russians and Lithuanians taking them out the country.
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

Ebay had 3 omega 3.0litre engines for buy it nows £275 ish last week.

I've got a cheap 2.5 if you want it.
C30XE
CavT

Post by CavT »

HAIRIBO wrote:Ebay had 3 omega 3.0litre engines for buy it nows £275 ish last week.

I've got a cheap 2.5 if you want it.
Thanks anyway, but i'd never go back to 2.5 after driving a 3.0, would only be worthwhile if I stuck in the cams from the 3.0, and i'd rather just chuck in another engine complete with no messing about, and you're a bit far mucker, but cheers anyway.

Yes, cheaper Omegas can be found, but its a ballache going up north to get one, all the ones down South get snapped up and shipped out.

Nearly had one from South Wales, but it went for £375, and at that price, I couldn't justify ripping up a perfectly good Omega.

If a cheap one comes up before the auction ends, I might still keep her, but last time time I really needed something for this car, it took months :(
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Whereabouts are you based Mr CavT?
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

ebay ad says somerrrrset dan :thumb
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
Cavalier-C20LET

Post by Cavalier-C20LET »

Why would you change the engine just cos the headgasket was gone lol. unless you drove it above for ages with the fkd gasket it should be ok. at worst itll need a skim on the head. most times you can get away with it. wouldnt change the full engine just to save doing a head gasket tho?

cutting nose to spite face comes to mind lol.

mind you if you have lost interest then thats that i guess.

DO IT DAN!!!
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

Cavalier-C20LET wrote:Why would you change the engine just cos the headgasket was gone lol. unless you drove it above for ages with the fkd gasket it should be ok. at worst itll need a skim on the head. most times you can get away with it. wouldnt change the full engine just to save doing a head gasket tho?

DO IT DAN!!!
Sometimes its easier and cheaper just to replace the engine
Cavalier-C20LET

Cheaper? 275-350 is cheaper than changing the head gasket?

i would assume that if your changing the engine youself that you are capeable of changing a head so i cannot see how it would be cheaper. maybe easier in some cases but again i would still opt for the head gasket change. whats that going to cost you? Nowhere near 275 unless your paying a garage to do it. then i would imagine you would be paying a garage to change the engine for you. again not cheap atall on top of buying the engine bud.
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

Cavalier-C20LET wrote:Cheaper? 275-350 is cheaper than changing the head gasket?

i would assume that if your changing the engine youself that you are capeable of changing a head so i cannot see how it would be cheaper. maybe easier in some cases but again i would still opt for the head gasket change. whats that going to cost you? Nowhere near 275 unless your paying a garage to do it. then i would imagine you would be paying a garage to change the engine for you. again not cheap atall on top of buying the engine bud.
You assume its is just the head gasket. The money i have spent on the c20xe In my cav it would of being cheaper just replacing the engine
I have had the head gasket replaced twice within 6 months As it being said it could more than just a head gasket witch is causing this.
He has the gasket replaced twice so there could be underlining problem with the engine which could means taking it out

But he can just replace the head gaskets as you said and hope they don't go again.Personal I would fine the resaon why they are blowing in the first place
But if he wants to replace his engine then its his choice not yours or any one elses
CavT

Post by CavT »

humbucker wrote:Whereabouts are you based Mr CavT?
Near Bath and Bristol, little place called Radstock (BA3 Postcode)
CavT

Post by CavT »

Cavalier-C20LET wrote:Why would you change the engine just cos the headgasket was gone lol. unless you drove it above for ages with the fkd gasket it should be ok. at worst itll need a skim on the head. most times you can get away with it. wouldnt change the full engine just to save doing a head gasket tho?

DO IT DAN!!!
I've also got a poorly VM engined Frontera thats a works truck, that has to come before the Cavalier, and I simply don't have the time to be mucking about with it, and yes, i've lost interest in the car, and just know it'll sit up for ages before I get around to sorting it, which is why i'd rather push it on and let someone else have her, otherwise it'll just be sat in a corner
Cavalier-C20LET

I see what your saying mitch but how do you know the xe that you bought isnt gona be the same if not worse. id much rather fix what was there rather than starting on another. at least you could strip it down and make sure everythings right. if you plan on keeping the engine/car its going to pay off in the long term knowing that everything is the way you want it.

again tho.everyone has there own way of doing things and there own ideas if we all done the same things and thought the same the world would be a very boring place.

in your case cavT as you say you have another car ect and you just want rid. i cant blame you for that.

as i say someone will buy it and end up with a rare and fun car with some work done.

whatever way they do it.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

What condition is the shell in Mr CavT, sills, arches, chassis legs, bulkhead, usual shizl?
CavT

Post by CavT »

humbucker wrote:What condition is the shell in Mr CavT, sills, arches, chassis legs, bulkhead, usual shizl?

Shell overall is in fair condition for the year, to be brutally honest, she would benefit from a respray once any of the rust patches are done.

Rear arches are starting to bubble up from someones previous work, but to be fair to the car, she has been stood up for nearly 3 years, which never helps!

Chassis legs are fine, bulkhead is fine, back end behind rear bumper was all welded up as the bumper wouldn't mount properly.

Certainly shes far too good to break up, but to make her look her best, shes going to need a little cosmetic work, she was supposed to be an ongoing project that would still drive :(
CavT

Post by CavT »

GSi relisted on eBay for the final time, if it doesn't sell this time, its getting crushed.
CavT

Post by CavT »

Cavalier now gone.

Has gone to Oswestry, new owner isn't sure if he's breaking it or keeping it.

Probably another GSi bites the dust.
mooic

Post by mooic »

Hi mate. Hows things. The v6 Cav you had in 2012. I have it now :D
beermonsterblack

Post by beermonsterblack »

being broken on ebay now :(
Well, thank you, Mr. Bandit. And as the pursuer, may I say you're the goddamnedest pursuee I've ever pursued