New runaround!

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
DiplomaXE

New runaround!

Post by DiplomaXE »

Busy day today!
I was in need of a classic runaround, so i can take the Diplomat off the road and sort the engine problem/arches/front arms - generally sort out lots of bits, maybe try and save it for a bit longer, and it had to be over 20 years old for my rather complicated Multi classic car policy, or that would have had to have ended.

So been looking for a pre 92 astra/nova/cav etc, really wanted an auto for commuting as I have never owned one and after a bit of hunting about, bought this today!

pre facelift 1.6L auto hatch, J plate 91 so piece of p1ss for me to insure.
62k,
20 dealer stamps right through its life,
electric windows for some reason,
central locking that I wasnt expecting,
demo car at my local dealer, then a local couple for 9 months, then another local couple till now,
no cat to worry about,
tiny 165/80 13's
new tiny! battery,
needs a thermostat clearly,
everything works as it should bar the heater controls/boot and underbonnet bulbs as usual.
bodywork is great, just a tidy on the rear arches to do, few touch ins with a paint stick, bit of waxoyl and run it to work!

just what I've always wanted. pov spec soft wallowyness, with lazytronic pedals.
I'm sure this is going to be the start of some great times. a standard car for once!

will edit this when i have some daylight and some better pics when we start mincing about with it.
Mikebmth

Re: New runaround!

Post by Mikebmth »

Saw your post on Daves Wip, didnt know what had happened to the dipo..

So a 1.6 huh.. :lol: ...Bet that feels a bit different, guess will see one of the cars at the meet on the 5th mate :thumb
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
psl

Post by psl »

Nice bit of back to basics motoring is that
Deeksin

Post by Deeksin »

Pov spec perfect! When's the moding starting :D
Deeks cavalier GSi 2000
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5348
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

no modding! few new bits maybe and a good coat of looking after, but cheaply!
it's for commuting so I can concentrate my efforts on the modified cars I already have!

Although!, I do have 4 sets of 4 stud wheels all with good tyres, so it might have either my old Calibra xe's 14's on it to wear them out, or gsi slabs and chunky tyres at some point.
this is a minimum spend trundle mobile.
brakes are dire, although they are getting better. have some std 2.0 ones so might do that, but I liking the standardness

hope to bring this old boat to the meet, yes - as the dippy is not well.... :cry: and is well due some time off for good behaviour, I've had it 8.5 years after all.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

There are still some gems out there then :thumb
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Quite tidy :D I love early Cavs, don't know what it is about them but a bog standard early Cav always appeals to me more than a later one... So surprised at how many early ones are still available with next to nothing miles :shock: Keep popping up here and there.... Good find Pete, have fun with the restoration :thumb

The only "mod" I'd suggest is sticking a set of 195/60/14's on, bog standard steelies as on the later models.. :thumb
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
cavboy180

Post by cavboy180 »

Nice find!! :thumb :wave
" LS was MORE!! "
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

cavboy180 wrote:Nice find!! :thumb :wave
Nice find that, a bit of tlc will see it serving you well for many years to come.

Sent via taptalk on android
Mark
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - the friendly club
http://www.vodc.co.uk
VBOA Members
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Sweet find that's a proper blast from the past I remember when these were every where when you couldn't go any where without seeing a poverty spec cav lol nice find fella :thumb
[center]Image
[/center]
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

yeah! thanks guys. it's great fun. I'm getting used to the awesome power of the 16SV...it's just a tad different to the Monaro i took in to work at the beginning of the week that now looks seriously filthy..

new thermostat tomorrow and an inbetweeny oil and filter change coming on. it's nearly on 63k miles! (exactly a third of the Diplomat..)
Have run it to work for 2 days and I have sorted so far :-

Generally given it a good look over and checked all the normal stuff, it's good for many years service..
put some redex in the fuel when i did a splash an dash,
sorted a broken vacuum hose from base of carb to air intake,
ditto the fuel pipe from the pump to vapour return gismo,
ditto the split and gunked up large breather pipe at the back of the cam carrier,
fitted a spare front indicator as it had a weird hole punched in it,
refitted the passenger side mirror cover properly (not in it's slots),
cleaned the windows inside and out,
peeled off someones aa stickers and a huge GB one from the boot lid,
2 hours with the vacuum cleaner earlier and a little brush to get the dust out of all the corners/vents!,
fitted my spare minty std carpet style mats,
wiped down everywhere inside and stood back shocked at just how minty the interior is. very pleased,
tuned the awesome radio cassette in to all the local cr@p for the morning commutes.

amazing to find it's still got it's original tax disc holder and number plates from the local VX dealer in Winchester.

bit more TLC tomorrow and its time for some better piccies i think.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

haha brilliant, i was going to ask how it stacks up against the monaro!

so how long til the LET and F28 get fitted?! :p
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

never in my ownership, as its for daily snottering about in while I try and sort all the other bloody modified cars in the fleet that are giving trouble/need tlc.
will just enjoy this one how it is, albeit with a tad more idle speed and some cold idle too...
terkin

Post by terkin »

:wave :thumb
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

Have had this sorned for a bit. the Diplomat needs it's yearly time off for good behaviour - shutdown/maintenance session, so thought I'd run the auto through the winter.
Passed it's mot with no real advises too.

pics from today on the commute home:-

and-----------arhhhh 16SV autoness-

utterly loving this as a runaround. it drives just superbly.

it's done 260 miles to the 1/2 way 30L mark on the fuel gauge, hoping the new fuel lines and a general perfecting of everything under the bonnet will see it average as much as the Diplomat. 38 av. would be nice.

enjoy you preface lift lovers
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

It's back on the road! and It's garaged too!, temporarily mind, while I have given it the once over..

I laid it up in March and lots of birds shat on it under my tree and recently the tree has emptied it's leaves on it, now it's back on the road and in daily use for winter commuting!
A swift wash,
a fresh MOT and some tax,
3.5 L of VX oil and a filter,
vacuumed out,
in go the winter VX mats and overmats,
fresh brake fluid swap out,
new £4 VX front pads as the old ones were onto the glue I reckon - just about holding the wafer thin pad to the backing.....
checked and adjusted tracking with my superb laser tracking widgit,
steering wheel also clocked round 2 teeth, now straight as it should have been ages ago,
Daves 14" steelies and 175/70's fitted too, had one for the boot as well, as 2 of my 165/13's were past their best being original to the car I reckon. well cracked.

bring on the dirty back road commutes, and the next meet!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Sounds good. :thumb
Does that mean you can do tracking then? My V6 is miles out since I changed the rod ends. If my mechanic can't do it at the next MOT, I may give you a shout.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

A well overdue update!

Keeping this beastie as my main runaround, before Beaulieu it had a fair old polish and scrub up and it really came up well and it earns it's keep popping to work and back most days, road trips and occasional long weekends away at my caravan, a decent 350 mile round trip, which it laps up -

Yes, a rare 90's car and a rare shiny 90's caravan to match!

As you might be able to see, it now wears daves old 14" steelies as the std 13"s were all cracked and bald, at VBOA Billing I knew VauxhallGreenParts would be there with their supply of new std. wheeltrims, so bought a set of L spec 14" ones to make it look right. I had to, it's the right thing to do! This doesn't need alloys for the daily grind to work, would look silly too. love it std looking.
Before Beaulieu I even had the headlights out and cleaned/correctly fitted the under lamp rubbers as they had fallen off the front panel as usual and it looks better for it, contact adhesive helped keep them in place.

Everything else is the same, but just shiner now the paint aint matt finish and jet washed to death underneath, loving the looks it gets, people point at it! and I can usually lip read " I had one like that"

The more I use it the more it seems to be freeing up, now averaging a gallon a day 20 miles each way, and it aint all poodling along. she loves the sport mode and sailing past a few modern eurobox nuggets on the A30. It is quiet swift really. Magic times. Mr Diplomat is undergoing some tlc, so the auto is the main car again.

It's up to almost 77000 now too.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Looking spot on dude. Does look the part totally, they do love a good run don't they..
Previous:

V6BOY

Post by V6BOY »

This is why i signed up to see threads like this im back in the 90s.
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

That looks mint! :cool
[center]Image
[/center]
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

Cheers!
it does polish up quite well and is doing sterling service..

Just come back to Beaulieu Autojumble and helped get some cars home for a friend, so have just driven an auto D reg 520I lux beemer which was 2500£ and a 1100£ auto J reg XJ6 3.2 poverty spec thing, both were dire to drive compared to me 300£ auto 1.6 cav. Stick with what you know! go cavvys! totally underrated runaround. it's staying. Just wish it was tax free.
Super89

Post by Super89 »

Yeah, The tax really annoys me, Paying £230 a year for a 1.6 :fight