humbucker's 1993 Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo 4x4

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: humbucker's satin red cavalier turbo WIP

Post by humbucker »

Well in the run up to PVS I thought I had better make a start on some of the bits that I want to get done in time for the show. I’m not exactly rushing things, so the major jobs (transfer box and engine overhaul etc) will be done at some point later in the summer. For now I’ll be concentrating on service and cosmetic jobs. In the meantime, the weather cleared a bit enabling the car to leave the garage where it has been hibernating for the past few months. She’s been out once every few weeks or so (the Baby Bertha shoot for example) but that’s about it. Nevertheless, that was enough for a nice coat of dust and muck to form and so I’ll be getting busy with the AutoGlym over the coming week or so!

As if I needed any more prompting, PVS tickets and the Total Vauxhall ‘Rare and Iconic’ stand pass arrived at the back end of last week. I believe this qualifies as some kind of deadline:

The tried and tested caravan dehumidifiers have been working well while the car has been under cover and tucked away. I couldn’t recommend these enough and use them in all my cars. They fit perfectly in the storage compartment behind the handbrake of a Cavalier too:

Like all good Cavalier Turbos, mine came with a number of niggles that are in need of some attention. As the car has been a ‘garage queen’ over the winter, and as I’ve been busy on other projects, I haven’t troubled myself with getting around to sorting any of them out. Nevertheless, as the MOT was due I thought I might as well run it up to the test centre to see what I’m duty bound to look at in addition to the non-MOT bits I want to play with. As it transpired, the car needed headlamp adjustment and a small patch of welding on the back of the passenger side sill. Thankfully it was a small area that was in isolation and didn’t cause too much of a headache:

And a liberal coating of sealer/guard:

We then nipped back up to the test centre and the car passed. Hoorah! I would say the car ‘got a green ticket’ but obviously these days the MOT certificate is more like something your mate knocked up in Excel than an important piece of paperwork from the Ministry of Transport. This must be the easiest document in the world to forge. Oh well.

So we were now road legal for another twelve months and what better way to celebrate than a trip over to my mates bodyshop to sort out a couple of minor annoyances (with the car, not him!). At some point in the recent past the car has had a very light knock on the back end; perhaps the ol’ reversing-into-a-post routine, or maybe one of those irritations referred to as ‘other drivers’?! Who knows, but I noticed it when I first went to look at the car. It’s nothing major but unfortunately the knock had resulted in a slight dink at the top of rear panel behind the bumper. You can probably see the slight change in shape in the gap between the bumper and boot opening on the driver’s side in the pic below:

Now ordinarily this is entirely hidden from view, but the resulting dink meant that the driver’s side rear light didn’t sit as flush with the Turbo boot panel as I would have liked. It looked like the boot panel was sitting slightly proud, but in fact it was the light cluster slightly further back than it should have been. Furthermore, the boot panel reflector had a slight crack in it and the light cluster itself was marked, presumably both as a result of the now infamous dink. This was one of the reasons I got hold of some new rear lights (the ones that I promptly de-tangoed in an earlier post):

Original lights:

With the panel straightened, the light cluster lined up perfectly which put a smile on my face. After a quick adjustment to the bootlid our work on the rear of the car was done. Next up was a small dink on the front end near the headlight (forgot to take picture of that). It was barely noticeable but was worth sorting anyway. With that completely gone, we turned our attention to the bonnet which has been removed at some point or another but not put back on 100% straight. We soon found out what was causing it to feel sloppy when it you dropped the hood haha!

I also had another good look at the condition of the inner arches and boot floor to see if they were still sound and was pleased to see you could eat your dinner off of them (well, almost...). Will give this a proper clean at a later date:

I bought a replacement Turbo boot panel from our friend Cavalier-C20LET which I think originally came off of Cavhopper’s car before it went to the great scrapyard in the sky. There isn’t a single mark on the reflectors, not even the suggestion of a hairline crack, and it is already Satin Red so this makes the ideal replacement for my original panel without me having to use the brand new one I have reserved for my V6. This will be going on the car shortly:

With the car back in my garage it was time to get her up on axle stands and prepare some bits for a trip to the powdercoaters. I picked up a bargain LET timing belt and cam cover on the ‘bay, complete with plug cover and oil cap. The cam cover had a very bizarre paint job, as though it had been mock-polished and then someone had tried to paint a gradient of colour around the edge. It was ideal for stripping but a baffling choice of finish:

‘Muppets’ may well be appropriate...

...especially as one of the breathers was actually sealed shut with paint!

Having removed the blockage I thought I’d strip it and apply the SBD insipired breather mod before it goes away for media blasting:

...and remaining part ready to be cleaned up and refitted:

With the wheels off I checked the condition of the discs and wishbones etc, mainly because I’d just had to fit new arms to the V6 so figured the Turbo might be in need of some attention in that department too. Thankfully the discs looked healthy enough and the CV’s and suspension arms look like they’ve been replaced in the recent past. Bingo by jingo!

The wheels are also off to the powdercoaters where they will be receiving an acid bath, a media blast, remedial work and colour etc. The one thing that foxes most of us with Cavalier or Calibra Turbo alloys is the centre caps as the centres are an odd size (not quite the 55mm found elsewhere iirc). As I had some spare Astra Mk4 centre caps I thought I’d play around and see if I could combine the two.

I’ve amassed quite a few of these so dismantled the worst four:

The Astra griffin emblem is clipped into place, whereas the Cavalier centre is glued on. The Astra item is also smaller and the bit of the centre cap that shows through the badge is unlikely to be completely smooth on the Cavalier so I decided to order some alu-vinyl centre cap emblems off of the ‘bay and see what I could do with them. I will report back when they turn up.

The Cavalier centre caps were thrown in the box with the cam cover and timing belt cover ready for some rubbing down and colour. I did try and fit the Astra Mk4 centre cap as it is but it’s just too small. A shame as it looks pretty neat:

I recently bought a spare set of wheels so these are on standby to help roll the car about while the ‘proper’ wheels are at the powdercoaters. These are Cavalier Turbo alloys again, but have been painted black. One had a slight air leak so I whizzed it down to the tyre centre and had it repaired. The tyres aren’t brilliant but for what I need them for at the moment they’re just the ticket:

I came across some red strut tops in a box of bits which were intended to be placed on the V6. They were nice enough but not what I want for this engine bay so they’ve been sent to the powdercoaters too and will be put on this car instead. I also removed the bonnet stay and threw that in the box! All the parts, including the wheels, are being powdercoated in the same bright silver with a slight sparkle added to them. They should look pretty good.

Anyway, next up it was time to drop all the fluids starting with engine oil and the F28 transmission oil... and not before time:

The contents of an F28. Yuk:

In the process my ratchet's directional switch thingy broke, so off to Halfords for an exchange. Keep your receipts folks; this one was four years old! Apparently ‘lifetime guarantee’ means exactly that:

..and the shiny new replacement!

A box of joy arrived; lots of gearbox oil, diff oil, gaskets, bulbs, new header tank, screws, bolts etc and a LUK clutch kit for the F28. My release bearing is starting to complain a bit so that’s one of the jobs destined for later in the summer:

More to follow as I'm suffering from tea deprivation right now.
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

Take of the plastic cover in the arch thats what causes the rot due crude sitting in behind it .
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

What a great update. It is nice to see that even a seriosely nice turbo like yours still needs abit of welding for the mot and that you were prepared to put it on your wip thread and not hide away from it.

Some quality work going on as usual. Wouldn't mind getting some bits powder coated my self, will wait to see how your bits look when there on the car.

Keep up the good work. :D
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

bigmitch wrote:Take of the plastic cover in the arch thats what causes the rot due crude sitting in behind it .
Yeah I think you might be on to something there.

TurboDan wrote:What a great update. It is nice to see that even a seriosely nice turbo like yours still needs abit of welding for the mot and that you were prepared to put it on your wip thread and not hide away from it.

Some quality work going on as usual. Wouldn't mind getting some bits powder coated my self, will wait to see how your bits look when there on the car.

Thanks for the positive feedback Dan. Well there's no point hiding stuff, if it's in need of attention then it's in need of attention! Only posting half the details sorta defeats the object of having a WIP thread. If that's the case then it might as well be a photo gallery/showroom thread! At the end of the day the car should speak for itself and who cares if it needs a little bit of tlc here and there?! Better to know what's what and get it sorted than to ignore it and have a bigger problem later. Besides, it's feedback from other forum members along the way that can encourage and help with advice so it makes sense to post all the gory details so that people can take an educated guess as to what might be wrong if you get stuck!
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

humbucker wrote:
bigmitch wrote:Take of the plastic cover in the arch thats what causes the rot due crude sitting in behind it .
Yeah I think you might be on to something there.

TurboDan wrote:What a great update. It is nice to see that even a seriosely nice turbo like yours still needs abit of welding for the mot and that you were prepared to put it on your wip thread and not hide away from it.

Thanks for the positive feedback Dan. Well there's no point hiding stuff, if it's in need of attention then it's in need of attention! Only posting half the details sorta defeats the object of having a WIP thread. If that's the case then it might as well be a photo gallery/showroom thread! At the end of the day the car should speak for itself and who cares if it needs a little bit of tlc here and there?! Better to know what's what and get it sorted than to ignore it and have a bigger problem later. Besides, it's feedback from other forum members along the way that can encourage and help with advice so it makes sense to post all the gory details so that people can take an educated guess as to what might be wrong if you get stuck!
I agree I am slowly coming around to take the cav of the road and doing a complete rebuild myself.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

I like it, I like it alot!
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

looking good mate
Deeksin

Post by Deeksin »

Nice update funny looking at the cam cover the gasket came off the same as mine are you spraying it? Ad advise powdercoating as mine bubbled not sure if it was painters fault for using old paint.

Not fancy selling that nice shiny header tank exactly what am looking for lol

Cavs looking awsome as always mate good work
Deeks cavalier GSi 2000
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5348
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

bigmitch wrote:I agree I am slowly coming around to take the cav of the road and doing a complete rebuild myself.
As long as you've got time and you've got another runabout while yours is tucked away then there's no reason not to! Go for it!
Envoy CDX wrote:I like it, I like it alot!
I thought you might! :lol:
TurboSteve wrote:looking good mate
Cheers Mister Young, now go fix yours and stop all this talk of selling up!
Deeksin wrote:Nice update funny looking at the cam cover the gasket came off the same as mine are you spraying it? Ad advise powdercoating as mine bubbled not sure if it was painters fault for using old paint.

Not fancy selling that nice shiny header tank exactly what am looking for lol

Cavs looking awsome as always mate good work
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll work on the assumption that you haven't read the update though :lol: All parts are at the powdercoaters for an acid bath, media blast and colour, but the cam cover is only getting powdercoated on the outside. There's no way I'd have it painted on the inside as the last thing I need is the paint getting too hot and flaking off. There are a number of reports of this doing loads of damage to the inside of enginess so I'm just having the inside blasted and will give it a thorough clean when I get it back. Nice shot of you and your motor in the latest Total Vauxhall by the way, good work!
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Good update Dan.
I can't believe the condition of that spare Turbo boot panel!
I also have a pair of strut tops for the V6 but these will most likely be chromed.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Deeksin

Post by Deeksin »

I didnt remember reading about how they was getting finnish soz just saw media blasting some great finishing touchies tho mate where did you source new header tank realy want one lol
Deeks cavalier GSi 2000
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5348
planetc

Post by planetc »

I've been trying to read this all evening, every time I got the thread loaded the office gave me something to do! Looking good, lots of little bits of progress. Have to say that looks more like a ratchet than a torque wrench to me though? Are you sure you want to share everything though? I mean, what would happen if you decided to sell :oops: ?
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

lowrider dave wrote:Good update Dan. I can't believe the condition of that spare Turbo boot panel! I also have a pair of strut tops for the V6 but these will most likely be chromed.
Thanks Dave. When you consider that the boot panel has been on the back of at least one or two cars for the best part of 20 years, and has also been in the hands of at least two couriers it is remarkable to think that there isn't a single mark on the lenses. The only fault I could find would be a slight build up of dirt around the lens through road use, but otherwise you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between that and the brand new one I have tucked away.
Deeksin wrote:I didnt remember reading about how they was getting finnish soz just saw media blasting some great finishing touchies tho mate where did you source new header tank realy want one lol
I ordered all the bits in that box from Autovaux.
planetc wrote:I've been trying to read this all evening, every time I got the thread loaded the office gave me something to do! Looking good, lots of little bits of progress. Have to say that looks more like a ratchet than a torque wrench to me though? Are you sure you want to share everything though? I mean, what would happen if you decided to sell :oops: ?
Ah yes, well spotted. Was on auto pilot there! Yes I don't mind sharing everything, that's what makes a half decent WIP surely, and besides, if I go to sell I can just PM you asking for the thread to be deleted :lol:
SteLowis

Post by SteLowis »

Great update fella. Like dan says its good to see honesty and know that the cleanest of cavaliers still need a bit of tlc and maintenance.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

SteLowis wrote:Great update fella. Like dan says its good to see honesty and know that the cleanest of cavaliers still need a bit of tlc and maintenance.
...don't they all?! :lol:
SteLowis

humbucker's satin red cavalier turbo WIP

Post by SteLowis »

They do like but you know what I mean lol
branny361

Post by branny361 »

:thumb top thread and even better.. a top car!
now running a swedish vauxhall...

the old cav vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYC4wHjqAhw

the new saab vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-K5L6UDGFk
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

branny361 wrote::thumb top thread and even better.. a top car!
Cheers Branny, and nice to have you back with us! :)
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

I was hoping to have posted an update sooner but it’s been a bit of a topsy turvy week... I had the best of plans laid out in front of me and was aiming to split my time between pre-PVS work on the Turbo and undertake work on some other projects I’ve got on the go. Everything was going to plan until we had a day where the electric was out due to overhead power cable problems in the village up the road. I might have lost 24 hours but spirits weren’t dampened enough to stop me cracking on again as soon as we were back in action. Unfortunately, it has been hammering down with rain ever since and yesterday it was so intense that my garage flooded. This wouldn’t have been as bad had it not been for the fact that I was out working all day which meant I didn’t find out that horrid rainwater had spread across the floor until it was too late. Mrs Humbucker and I ‘enjoyed’ mopping up until 1am last night. Not impressed.

This was my driveway. Not sure how easy it is to see how deep it is, but take it from me, it was deep... waaay too deep:

On a lighter note, earlier this week I popped up to Classic Coatings in Grantham to pick up my freshly powdercoated bits and bobs. In addition to the wheels, rocker cover and timing belt cover I threw in the strut tops, bonnet stay, centre caps, and some recently acquired Eibach lowering springs. They were on Adam’s Cavalier Turbo until shortly after his Total Vauxhall feature, and here is his car sitting pretty on them:

I love Eibach springs; they provide such a great ride (especially when paired with some adjustable Konis) so these will be going from Adam’s car on to mine to replace the lowering springs I already have. As they’d seen better days in the looks department they went in the box to Grantham destined for an acid bath and media blast.

While all the bits were at Classic Coatings I asked head honcho Andy to take some snaps while he was doing the work. Here are a few of the ‘in progress’ shots (not every stage of the process is covered in the pics; after all, he had to get on with the job at hand rather than faff around taking photos for me all day!). Neat pics though. He’s got a stack more to send once he’s downloaded them from his phone so I’ll update the thread later with more snaps:

All done, Toyos fitted back on and wheels perfectly balanced:

Fortunately the sun was shining when I got home so I took some snaps of all of the parts. I had them all finished in exactly the same colour with a very light sparkle effect applied to them. Earlier in the week I had panicked as I saw a Range Rover with what looked like glitterballs for wheels, so I called Andy and he used a finer metallic content for the sparkle effect just to be on the safe side! I needn’t have worried, but here are the finished items ready to fit on to the car. As the sun was so bright you might be able to make out the sparkle effect in each pic.

Yes, that’s the same cam cover as shown in the previous update! Amazing transformation!

I also picked this up a few weeks back; a freshly powdercoated metal spark plug cover. The red is a bit deeper than usual and the letters are nicely polished. Against the bright silver of the cam cover it should look ace.

And the main event...

The colour was applied front AND back (other than the hub mating surface):

They’re going to look amazing when they’re on the car. Cavalier/Calibra Turbo alloys are such a classic design, bringing them back to life with some new colour was definitely the right thing to do. Any kerbing or blemishes have now gone and two of the wheels had a slight flat spot on the inside rim which Andy has also fixed. They’re as good as new! No, wait... they’re better than new!

But what of those Eibachs...?! Well a chemical strip, media blast and various stages of colour application later...

Huzzah! With the timescales involved I’m not sure what I will get to fit before the weekend but we’ll see... I’m looking forward to seeing these bits and bobs on the car, that’s when they’ll really come to life.

Today has been a pretty busy day (once I’d finished cleaning up the garage) so I’ll fire some more snaps up tomorrow.
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

:love :love :love :love looking forward to seing your car in flesh on sunday and get few ideas for mine :thumb
SteLowis

Post by SteLowis »

I feel a all night garage sesh coming on haha. That spark plug cover and rocker cover look brand new. So do the wheels anyway!! Top work
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

All looking good :) springs should be black though :P
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

That lot looks superb!

I fancy getting some bits powder coated myself.

Can't wait to see your car at PV :D
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Powder coated stuff looks excellent and the alloys are top notch. Good job!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

TurboSteve wrote::love :love :love :love looking forward to seing your car in flesh on sunday and get few ideas for mine :thumb
Shame yours couldn't make it, there might have been a few people who could have looked over it for you.
SteLowis wrote:I feel a all night garage sesh coming on haha. That spark plug cover and rocker cover look brand new. So do the wheels anyway!! Top work
Cheers, you're not wrong.
Envoy CDX wrote:All looking good :) springs should be black though :P
Pahaha! That's what Andy at the powdercoaters said! :lol:
TurboDan wrote:That lot looks superb! I fancy getting some bits powder coated myself. Can't wait to see your car at PV :D
Shame yours isn't making it down, would be nice to compare notes/cars etc
lowrider dave wrote:Powder coated stuff looks excellent and the alloys are top notch. Good job!
Thanks Dave, I'm really pleased with how they've turned out.