Mikes 2.0 Gls

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Cavalier342

Re: Mikes 2.0 Gls

Post by Cavalier342 »

Lift it a touch then. You don't need it that low anyway especially with the state of the local roads.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Super89 wrote:All them alloys yours?
Nope, thats my mates stash....I bought the front set and the other 2 were Vectra Gsi rims as he has a tuned Veccy Gsi tucked away
Cavalier342 wrote:Lift it a touch then. You don't need it that low anyway especially with the state of the local roads.
Yes grandad... :lol: ... Nope lower profile tyres if the ET is right, need to check them still but been laid up all week with a proper sh*tty cold bug so not done feck all and yes the exhaust is still f*cked as well....
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Get on the scotch, that'll sort you out! And none of that weak Jack Daniels honey alcopop either. Proper scotch.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:Get on the scotch, that'll sort you out! And none of that weak Jack Daniels honey alcopop either. Proper scotch.
Hmmm cheap nasty mixed Tesco scotch and anti-biotics..... :sick

Think not...
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Does the job for me.
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Been a while and to be honest very little has been done, I now know the alloys will fit and the ET is around 44 so not too much of a drama but need lower profile tyres to get them on the car and cannot afford them at the moment..

The Cav goes in for its MOT on the 16th December so fingers crossed but know it is going to fail as there is a few bits I meant to get done and to be honest I have not been sure on the future of the car so not bothered with too many repairs, also bought the interior light kit off of Dan (think it was Dan...lol) and a variable speed wiper stalk but neither fitted yet.

Had sooooooo much on with my work I have had little to no personal time over the past month so she will roll in for her MOT and see what happens this year...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

So.....

MOT Failed

*N/s headlight adjustment (bloody depo angel eyes, happens every year!)
*Excessive Handbrake travel
*Dust cover on Track Rod end allowing dirt to enter joint

Left up the garage and told them to correct the issues and re-mot it so hopefully should have her back by the end of the day and 13 months Mot on it too as Mot'd it a month early.

All the guys up the garage commented on how clean it is and the Mot tester said he could not find any structural / major rust issues etc which for its age he expected to find welding that would need doing but hey happy days she lives again for another year.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Piss all really, if you haven't done the track rod ends yet, get them both changed, you might as well. :thumb
Previous:

TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Always a great feeling when it passes an mot 8-)
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

All done, Mot was at 10am and picked up car about 4pm from the garage for a total of £46.00 as had paid my Mot prior to it going in....Bargain really!!

Think they must have altered my exhaust to as doesnt seem to be banging as much, although took it very gently on my way back home after a good soaking thanks to this sh*t uk weather at the moment.

Another year or 13 months in fact of motoring...
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Mate, can't go wrong there! Nice one. Feel free to do your usual burnout on my cul-de-sac and say hello at some point! :D
Previous:

CavNoirDip

Post by CavNoirDip »

Great news Mike. That should put a smile on your face. Rock and f'n Roll.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Brian, do you know what Rock'n'Roll is? :D
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

CavNoirDip wrote: Rock and f'n Roll.
Ummmm yeah ok Brian.... :scratch :lol:
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Well thought it time I updated this, to be honest I have always thought the ones of you who Garage your Cavs all winter a bit anal but since we have had this exceptionally heavy rain I now have a earthing issue and my fuel guage has become intermittent so maybe you doing the right thing to garage your cars..

So loads of work still to be done

16" Imolas need tyres
New Stereo Install
Exhaust Knocking and needs checking out
Bloody good service!!
Variable wiper stalk still to fit and interior courtesy light kit

Be glad to see some sensible weather so i can crack on with bits, no garage available and a few issues starting to crop up are making me consider buying a cheap run about for a few months and finding the Cav a home (possibly at my site as run a secure multistorey car park)..

Fancy a second toy as running the Cav on a daily 8 mile round trip aint doing it any good..
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Sorted yet fella? This is a tidy cav you've got mate with some nice mods what set up have got on the suspension surprises me your finding it so harsh
[center]Image
[/center]
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

jimmy wrote:Sorted yet fella? This is a tidy cav you've got mate with some nice mods what set up have got on the suspension surprises me your finding it so harsh
To be honest I haven't done feck all to it in months, had door card off to investigate if moisture getting into door and loom but bone dry so unsure where it was coming from as all checks done.

Discovered more issues as heater does now not vary from dash vents to foot well so set permanently in-between the two for the time being.

Suspension is KYB Excel - G gas shocks with -40mm Gmax springs, bit bouncy as should have used shortened shocks as believe the springs are lower than stated and they are SOLID, bounce the car and it moves literally an inch if that..

Now unsure of the Cavs future with me at least, considering finally moving it on and finding something newer but if I do not get what I want for it with the amount of work and money I have thrown its way then it will get a overhaul and new shocks / springs etc again so the ride sorts itself out..
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

So decision was kind of made for me by the Car....... Cannot resist hanging onto her for a while longer, just looks so good all polished up and clean and still moves well for a 122000 mile car so shopping list at the ready:
  • Upgrade suspension to Bilstein (B6 or B8 - can't decide so any input from people with the set up would be good)
  • Have bonnet resprayed / replaced and laquer peel on roof sorted professionally
  • Gut current Ice system and rewire to better cabling etc and Install new Kenwood Headunit I have waiting
  • Get my 16" Imolas painted up and correct tyres sorted
  • Plan on finding a Sportex or similar manifold to free a few more horses and maybe some induction mods as running stock filters etc
  • Sort exhaust properly as keeps coming off mount at rear end
  • Strutbrace to bolt in
  • Sri spoiler to have sprayed and fitted finally (had it 2 years!)
Sure I will find some other jobs as time goes on, know there is a shorting fault somewhere behind fuse box area I need to investigate asap but is so random it only ever shows up once in a blue moon but makes headunit display an error code (current Sony Xplod unit)
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

Good choice Mike, believe me you do not want anything newer (well not vauxhall anyway) as they are just a nightmare - been there done that twice and went back to a cav both times!

If you look after a Cav (which you do) it will look after you, spending a bit of money on a Cav (or any other pre 97 Vaux for that matter) will reward you where as spend on a newer one and you will keep on spending.
Mark
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - the friendly club
http://www.vodc.co.uk
VBOA Members
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

vauxhallnutter wrote:Good choice Mike, believe me you do not want anything newer (well not vauxhall anyway) as they are just a nightmare - been there done that twice and went back to a cav both times!

If you look after a Cav (which you do) it will look after you, spending a bit of money on a Cav (or any other pre 97 Vaux for that matter) will reward you where as spend on a newer one and you will keep on spending.
Thanks mate :thumb

Must admit if I were to have a newer Vauxhall it would have to be one of the more sporting ranges like the mk4 Astra Gsi Turbo but running costs and purchase costs etc kinda made me think again..

If only my Cav would do more Mpg I would be well happy, 30mpg is the current combined and my bosses 2.3 Jaguar does more but he spends all his time on the motorway and not town pottering like me..
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

The giant sub box was never designed for fuel economy :lol: Lose some weight from the trunk dude and you'll find better economy, also try cleaning your MAF sensor, I don't think we ever even touched that since you've had the car.... I got special cleaner for MAF sensors here.
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:The giant sub box was never designed for fuel economy :lol:
Its not that big mate, its more a case of all my drives are short journeys...Work is only 4 miles each way so not the best for a bigger engined car, loves being out on the motorway and quiet lanes where i can stick my foot down...
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Mikebmth wrote:
Cavalier342 wrote:The giant sub box was never designed for fuel economy :lol:
Its not that big mate, its more a case of all my drives are short journeys...Work is only 4 miles each way so not the best for a bigger engined car, loves being out on the motorway and quiet lanes where i can stick my foot down...

I know what you're saying, my work is only 3.5 miles away, and my V6 does NOT like that :lol:
Previous:

vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

Tis true that cars dont really like short trips, my daily 1.8 gets used for short trips mainly and after a while it feels a little sluggish so i try and give it a nice long run at least once a month. I went on a 250 mile round trip yesterday, feels a lot better now and the MPG was bob on at 45.5 average so happy with that.
Mark
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - the friendly club
http://www.vodc.co.uk
VBOA Members