M Plate 1.8LS Saloon

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
cavalier1990

Re: M Plate 1.8LS Saloon

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote:Wow that doorskin is almost as bad as mine was.

The hole was 8 inches (20cm) long by the time I replaced the door.

Them arches look a whole lot nicer.
Hopefully keep Mr MOT chap happy.

"saying for the last five years..."
I am guilty of that too. :oops:

But then you are working on several cars, not just one. So it is easy to fall behind on any one of them.
If I remember rightly wasn't it your back door that had the hole? Mine is starting to go in that famous triangle in the bottom corner as well. Suspect it'll be not too long till I have to repair/replace that as well. The guy that is spraying my door said no problem but you do realise that if you just spray the door it won't match the other panels, that they would really flash over onto the other panels to get it to match.

Well at the moment I'm not too bothered about that, I just want to get a better door on there with no big holes in it. I can look to getting them matched at some later date, and judging by the accelerating rust on the back door that'll not be too long!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Yes it was my rear near-side door that I replaced.
It was in Westminster Blue, I think...
So not a million miles from the rest of the car which is Polar Sea Blue (same as yours).
Nobody really noticed the difference.
Or at least nobody ever mentioned the colour difference.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Nice repairs there, you seem to be getting plenty of practice nowadays :(
cavalier1990 wrote:... The guy that is spraying my door said no problem but you do realise that if you just spray the door it won't match the other panels, that they would really flash over onto the other panels to get it to match.

Well at the moment I'm not too bothered about that, I just want to get a better door on there with no big holes in it. I can look to getting them matched at some later date, and judging by the accelerating rust on the back door that'll not be too long!
I'd save the main paintwork for when the rear arches are done, though they don't look too bad just now.

Before replacing mine It became a ritual when going on holiday, in the days when you could go somewhere, to rattle-can the rusty bits making them passable for a few weeks :oops:

Besides, the days are getting shorter so nobody will notice, and wouldn't you rather save your flashing for the warmer weather :lol:
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

ilovedmymantas wrote:Nice repairs there, you seem to be getting plenty of practice nowadays :(
cavalier1990 wrote:... The guy that is spraying my door said no problem but you do realise that if you just spray the door it won't match the other panels, that they would really flash over onto the other panels to get it to match.

I'd save the main paintwork for when the rear arches are done, though they don't look too bad just now.

Before replacing mine It became a ritual when going on holiday, in the days when you could go somewhere, to rattle-can the rusty bits making them passable for a few weeks :oops:

Besides, the days are getting shorter so nobody will notice, and wouldn't you rather save your flashing for the warmer weather :lol:
I'm definitely a glutton for punishment when it comes to any form of body repairs :D the passenger side arch is the one to keep an eye on, it's got quite a few chunks missing from it, so it was really a tart up job. Much the same with the other arches, but there not so raggid.

When you look at the roof between the sunroof and front screen you can see the paint is all but gone from that area, it must be quite thin up there, much like i'm getting myself nowadays! Basically the paint is shot, if it's not worn away, it's rust. scratches, fading, chips and dings, or all of the above, so It'd be worth getting the whole thing done, not dribs and drabs.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote:Yes it was my rear near-side door that I replaced.
It was in Westminster Blue, I think...
So not a million miles from the rest of the car which is Polar Sea Blue (same as yours).
Nobody really noticed the difference.
Or at least nobody ever mentioned the colour difference.
The guy that is painting my door mentioned another colour related to the paint code 13L. I can't mind what one it was (don't think it was Westminster blue) but he said it's basically polar sea blue. Honestly hadn't heard of it called anything else.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hmmm - okay. (!!??)
Although Polar Sea Blue is the only paint colour with the code 13L.

Anyway. As it is a "get you by" thing, I don't suppose it really matters what it is called, as long as it isn't Barbi Pink or Burnt Orange - lol
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote:Hmmm - okay. (!!??)
Although Polar Sea Blue is the only paint colour with the code 13L.

Anyway. As it is a "get you by" thing, I don't suppose it really matters what it is called, as long as it isn't Barbi Pink or Burnt Orange - lol
Yeah i was kina confused by that, it was the guy who makes up the paint saying this, maybe he knows something all us vx guys don't :o
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

It was neptune blue, same colour code 13L, just checked neptune blue is to 91 models, polar sea blue from 93 on.

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/c ... s_vauxhall
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Strange...
I have never seen that particular colour and code combination listed.
But I have heard of them independently listed.

Every day is a school day. :ugeek:
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote:Strange...
I have never seen that particular colour and code combination listed.
But I have heard of them independently listed.

Every day is a school day. :ugeek:
Yep, another piece of useful cavalier information for us all!

Since I'm off work and the weather is decent (not raining) I'm getting all the rest of the stuff done, like put the other disc on the N/S & free off the sliding caliper as it was a bit sticky. Also I decide to go to halfords this morning and splurge 50 nicker on a pile of primers, one tin of polar sea blue on offer, 3-in-1 loose oil and 'bend round corners' masking tape. Lord knows why, as I only needed straight lined masking tape for doing the sills, and needed the bendy stuff when doing the arches the other day!

Anyhoo I decided that since the sills were blistery and patchy, and previous repairs were sticking out like a sore thumb, i.e. a big freshly painted bit at the back and chips, scratches and rust at other bits, I would paint the whole damn things. Rubbed it all down with 600 grit wet n dry, gave them a good clean with panel wipe, masked it all up and voila they look now very smart, as you can see.

You can see my hand holding my phone in the reflection so that's a good thing right? :wave

Again, not an mot failure but I was getting tired of looking at the patchy bits so am deciding to start tidying it up a bit. Just because it's a runaround and while the underneath and important bits are sound enough, doesn't mean I shouldn't try to improve the looks of it.

Next step is get the door back from sprayers and swap all the bits over, tomorrow the pads should arrive so they'll be getting put in, then I'll have a look at the fog lights, those are both not working, I'm suspecting maybe switch.

UPDATE: Got fogs working, you can see the whole story here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16955
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

cavalier1990 wrote:It was neptune blue, same colour code 13L, just checked neptune blue is to 91 models, polar sea blue from 93 on.

dont be fooled it will have a different shade, vauxhall and ford tend to make different versions of the same code.

look the same but totally different, 13L will indicate that it uses colours from the same palette but the quantities vary and can make a huge difference
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

btcctroy wrote:
cavalier1990 wrote:It was neptune blue, same colour code 13L, just checked neptune blue is to 91 models, polar sea blue from 93 on.

dont be fooled it will have a different shade, vauxhall and ford tend to make different versions of the same code.

look the same but totally different, 13L will indicate that it uses colours from the same palette but the quantities vary and can make a huge difference
Oh lordy, I hope the paint man has not supplied the wrong colour :o as the guy I know who is painting it he said his paint man told him it was neptune blue! I got back to him and told him the right colour was polar sea blue.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

i do have a fix!

a lovely drop of tea, and a slice of cake. :lol:
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

btcctroy wrote:i do have a fix!

a lovely drop of tea, and a slice of cake. :lol:
Well I had some cake last night....and tonight, and plan to have more soon :D Only thing....not fond of tea....but CAKE!
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

I've now got the replacement bonnet on the car, same colour, but it's a bit dirty and it's got a bit of a scuff and a small pock type dent on it as well. Least it's not rusty as hell like the old one though. I'll need to get some waxoyl down the tip of the bonnet to stop that happening again.

I'n now waiting on the passenger door being sprayed by friendly spray guy. Once that's done, put all the gubbins back in the door and get it MOTd.

Here is a pic of the door getting prepped:

btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

its amazing how many people still wet sand.

i only dry sand now and prefer it

Looking good!
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

btcctroy wrote:its amazing how many people still wet sand.

i only dry sand now and prefer it

Looking good!
:thumb

I was going to rattle can the door, that's about my limit to being able to spray paint etc. decided to get a dude I know at local repair shop to do it instead.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Heard from the guy doing the door, he said that he spent ages getting the old paint off it, apparently it was polyurethane paint and the coach line had been lacquered over so had to take the paint back to bare metal. at least on the main part of the door.

didn't even know that was a type of paint, but then again it shows you how much I know about the technical ins and outs of paint!
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

cavalier1990 wrote:Heard from the guy doing the door, he said that he spent ages getting the old paint off it, apparently it was polyurethane paint and the coach line had been lacquered over so had to take the paint back to bare metal. at least on the main part of the door.

didn't even know that was a type of paint, but then again it shows you how much I know about the technical ins and outs of paint!
:scratch 2K clear coat is urethane! always has been.
wouldnt take long with 80s discs, then sand to 180, repair any damage, fill, finish again to 180. filler prime.
flat primer to 600 - 800
Paint
Done..
Flaky paint is the worst, especially in difficult areas
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

As I got a couple of good steel wheels off the low-mileage breaker car in Workington I decided to put them in my rust tank, give them a good clean and then paint them with some satin black I had lying around. Looking pretty good now, just tyres to get next.

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Looking nice and tidy.
Seems a shame that they will get covered by wheel trims.

I see you use the same model of workbench as I do. :thumb
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

They look good...….

…..or are you making me think that subliminally by placing HOT in a little window :scratch :lol: :lol:

matt
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote:Looking nice and tidy.
Seems a shame that they will get covered by wheel trims.

I see you use the same model of workbench as I do. :thumb
Lol, aye, sometimes even use 2 for some jobs. I also used 3 of them as a long stand to hold the old roof beams off my garage so I could cut them up, banister rods on front stairs acted as a nice vice to hold the wood from moving back and forth, while I cut!

Yeah I thought that too about wheel trims, but I grimace every time I take the trims of and see those manky old rusty wheels. Wanting to get all these type of things looking better. Also see on the old wheels that the rust was really eating into the back of the wheel, and wonder if it would eventually eat right through and/or weaken the wheel over time.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

ilovedmymantas wrote:They look good...….

…..or are you making me think that subliminally by placing HOT in a little window :scratch :lol: :lol:

matt
Lol I had to look at that for a minute :scratch , what you on about HOT, can see it now :wave
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Just how things work out eh, I've stripped the door lifter mechanism, and wiring from the old door and the new door isn't going to be ready by Saturday, which is when I'm thinking I will be able to get the MOT, waiting on confirmation, and because of this delay with the door I'm going to have to patch up the hole in it, and put the winder mechanism back in, and everything else back on.

Added to that I can't find my rivet gun anywhere to put winder mechanism back in, it's peeing from the heavens, I also need to get the washers set up, put the new airbag ECU in, and give the car another check over, hoping upon hope I don't find any other issues!