Cavalier 1.6L

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Metallicav

Cavalier 1.6L

Post by Metallicav »

Well it seems insanity has set in and I've bought another one :lol: . Today it arrived, took a chance and bought it without viewing as it was nearly 200 miles away in Bath but was shown good pictures and had talked to the guy over the phone a few times.
When the car got here I knew I'd made the right decision, everywhere seems nice apart from the normal places the rear arches which are only just starting but next to nothing and are better than the TD's. The end of the sills are not too bad either, the worst bits are the bits in between at the back of the door shut, as they could do with some work. The bonnet needs replacing because the inner skin is rotten in a few places.

Well here it is nearly ready to go on daily duties at some point soon:
It needs a drivers side rear light as it's been changed for a facelift one:
And one of the main purchase reasons:
Not much planned for this one, keeping it mostly original especially when compared to the TD, mostly just the radio, a full set of speakers and either a set of 14 steels or cavalier alloys, probably the 14's off of the TD when I get a replacement for the one that cracked as the 13's need new tyres anyway as they were advisories on the MOT that was done early this month along with an oil leak from the rocker cover gasket but I'm sure I've heard that this is common on the carb models?
Glacier White 92 16SV Cavalier L
Glacier White 95 16V Cavalier Sri

Jungle Green Vectra b Sri Estate Daily
Cavalier342

Re: Cavalier 1.6L

Post by Cavalier342 »

Mate that looks well sweet! Proper nice and original, always remind me of my old L, those early models... Really want another one.

Trust me mate this is only the beginning... I'm on my 3rd one already. :thumb
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Metallicav

Post by Metallicav »

To be fair if I could I would have about 10 :lol: yeah I love the look of the L models and the non colour coded bumpers, really wanted another cav nothing wrong with the polo but not really for me so this is it's replacement. My dad temporarily stopped a 1.6 L the same colour as your old one getting scrapped, we went to see the car later on and I was willing to pay £300 to save it even though it needed arches and sills on both sides, took a couple of days to get that price so we checked it over again and put my hand straight through the inner arches to the chassis... Needless to say that it got scrapped in the end :( but it's grill lives on at the front of my TD. I'll post pics on how bad the car was later in also needed a full set of doors as the originals were ruined.

Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Well if you ever want replacement bumpers for that, I have some here but I'm miles away... Trying to sell them for a while now. Has your's got a tow bar?
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Super89

Post by Super89 »

The rocker gasket like most cars with cork type gaskets do leak after a few years, only about 6 quid for a genuine vauxhall one.

How's the auto choke doing? Mine is still working well after 106k miles
Metallicav

Post by Metallicav »

Nah doesn't have a towbar Andrei, not to bothered as I'm sure you need a separate license to tow with new drivers nowadays, was quite bothered I couldn't keep the towbar on the TD due to the gsi bumper though, might have started using it at some point, when I get it finished that is XD

The Auto choke seems to be working perfect.
Also looked through all the documents I got with the car, tonnes of recipts and history, most of the tax discs 2000-2012 and the last one that ran out about a month ago, also found out that it has the original dealership plates and tax disc holder really happy about it.

Metallicav

Post by Metallicav »

Also I've noticed how much better gear changes are in this compared to the 230k TD no play at all, feels like a new car on the inside :thumb .

Super89

Post by Super89 »

Metallicav wrote:Also I've noticed how much better gear changes are in this compared to the 230k TD no play at all, feels like a new car on the inside :thumb .
You will find it has the all metal gear change thing inside the car. Makes them feel loads better!
Your diesel will have the plastic one..

Any engine bay photos? :thumb
Metallicav

Post by Metallicav »

Only this engine picture due to my phone acting up:
It does have the metal gear rod, I'm guessing it was just on prefacelift's? I'll have to get one for the TD, also managed to get a couple of photos of both.. sort of:

Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Looks rather sweet that does.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Metallicav

Post by Metallicav »

Envoy CDX wrote:Looks rather sweet that does.
Cheers Gary, absolutely love the car it's like a time warp because of the Millage and condition.
I absolutely can't bring myself to change anything on the car, was going to put my astra gear stick in it out of the TD and just couldn't :lol:.

I think it's just stereo and speakers I'll change I suppose, although I think I'll try and go for a set of 14" wheel trims like on the 1.8 and 2.0 L's, as I think 13's look a bit out of place on a car this size, unluckily I've got the task of finding some with the later circular griffin as it's a late October 92 prefacelift, I know how to find the late ones don't I :lol: A 92 pre and a 95 post facelift.

Also I've got a problem, I've got the stereo in and locked into place but the aerial lead has come out as it's loose, if I put the stereo in again I know it'll happen, could I get access to it from behind the dash somewhere?

Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Yes, if you remove the lower center console which surrounds the gear lever and handbrake, get them out of the way (only a few screws) then you can reach your hand up behind the dash to get to the radio. At least I could on my old L. You should be able to look up from either footwell and see where the radio cable loom comes out.
Previous:

Metallicav

Post by Metallicav »

Cheers Andrei, I'll have a play in the TD tomorrow as I've got the dash mostly stripped down.
Also forgot to mention that it has the luxury spec option of a beige interior :lol: although I do actually love it, shame about the little rip in the drivers door card :( but oh well there had to be something.

Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Mate, Cavaliers were made in the millions and not one exact same model is the same!! :lol: You'll learn that along the way!
Previous:

Metallicav

Post by Metallicav »

Cavalier342 wrote:Mate, Cavaliers were made in the millions and not one exact same model is the same!! :lol: You'll learn that along the way!
If your on about the bit about the "luxury beige interior" I was joking about vauxhalls questionable colour choices :lol:

Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Nope, I meant how they specced/equipped the cars. You'll find random looms here and there, random plugs and switches etc. Once you start digging in, you'll find it. lol.
Previous:

Metallicav

Post by Metallicav »

Yeah haha very true.

Also thought about what the car needs:
-I need to figure and sort out why the EML is on (doesn't effect running and only on when cold)
-Alternator needs to be recon'd
-New rocker gasket
-Undersealing
-New bonnet+late badge
-Rear arch/sill door shuts could do with welding
And a good clean!
After that the car should be quite mint :D

Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Late badge? It's an early model... :scratch
Previous:

Metallicav

Post by Metallicav »

Cavalier342 wrote:Late badge? It's an early model... :scratch
I mean late badge as in round griffin as this is what the car has on the steering wheel, bonnet badge and wheel trims since it's a late 92 car.

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Cavalier342 wrote:Late badge? It's an early model... :scratch

They changed the badge to the round one in about 1991 I think, so the later Pre-facelift Cavs have the round griffin on the bonnet.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Ah ok I'm with you now, yes. :thumb
Previous:

Metallicav

Post by Metallicav »

Time for a pic heavy update, got my radio in a couple of days ago and probably introduced it to Hardcore and Metal for the first time: :lol:
The car also did the same as the TD because I bought a mint 88-92 Haynes manual ages ago because I hadn't seen one before, look what I found under the passenger seat: :lol:
Also took some photos of the arches, the passage side:
The right, also here is the work I want to finish and/or redo:
Both arches are just starting to rust so I'm going to have them sorted out sometime soon.
Here's why I'm changing the bonnet:
Thought I'd treat the car to a clean it deserves, so got these:
So I've only managed to wash it so far but looks amazing, I also used autoglym bumper and trim gel on all the plastics including the bumpers that take about 30 minutes each because they're completely unpainted:
Probably won't polish it until tomorrow, because the time it's dried properly it will probably be dark but I've bought a used rear light to replace the facelift one and there might be something nice going on the car in a few days.

Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Looks great with a polish mate. Bit odd with the tail lamps but that's only temporary I'd imagine :lol:

Metal is properly enjoyable, I swear my volt gauge drops a bit when I play Slipknot on full blast....
Previous:

Metallicav

Post by Metallicav »

Cavalier342 wrote:Looks great with a polish mate. Bit odd with the tail lamps but that's only temporary I'd imagine :lol:
I haven't actually polished it yet that's just the result of a good wash, the polishing will be done tomorrow and I should have the correct light on Wednesday :thumb .
Cavalier342 wrote:Metal is properly enjoyable, I swear my volt gauge drops a bit when I play Slipknot on full blast....
:lol: definitely agreed dude, think I'll throw some Slipknot, Slayer and Machine Head in a playlist for when I'm polishing it tomorrow now.

Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Don't forget Kalmah, Lamb Of God, All Pigs Must Die, Hatebreed, Converge, Earth Crisis, and most of all SUICIDE SILENCE!!!!!
Previous: