Cavalier SRi Turbo

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
TurboDan

Re: Cavalier SRi Turbo

Post by TurboDan »

It wont be the gear stick terry it will be the gear rod that the stick ball sits in. I dont it on my turbo and it was like brand new afterwards.
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

This is off my old WIP thread from when i did it.
TurboDan wrote:I'll start off with the gears again. I still wasn't happy with them so i ordered a Brand new Linkage Rod from vauxhall, i was suprised to find out that

it only costs about £37 trade price.

Heres a pic of the part that wears, this is perfectly flat on the new one but on all worn ones it has a perfect curve in it all the way round.

So i made a start on fitting it:

First off i removed the gear gaitor and lever in one lot

Then removed the rear part of the center console:

Then the front part:

I then got the old stick out, with allot of twisting and pulling it came out of the top. You have to do this out of the car so the cradle bit needs

unbolting from the floor (4x 10mm bolts).

Whilst it was all out i noticed allot of play in the bottom pivot point in the cradle, this was solved by fitting the lever back in and then wedging a

thin washer inbetween it then putting the clip back on. I forgot to get pics of this but once apart you should figure it out.

All back together with a brand new 6 speed gear knob top and gaitor:

The gears are now like new! no play in the stick at all.
Terry

Post by Terry »

I'll fit an Astra shaft anyway as they're shorter. I did think the socket may have worn. Have you got a part number for the rod?
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Yeah may aswell fit it anyway but definately do the rod too. Ive not got a part number no, i do remember there were differant rods though but cant remember if it was just turbo or non turbo or whether it was something to do with aircon/non aircon.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Cheers. I'll have a butchers into it