cavalier 8v 4x4

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
tommy8252

cavalier 8v 4x4

Post by tommy8252 »

well some of you may have seen my new project crop up on ebay a few weeks back but heres some pics, only got to pick it up at the weekend due to the snow etc

this is to replace my recently sold gls

plans plans are to generally tidy the bodywork up,

refit the interior as its not as together as I'd like

fit my recently bought coilovers

fit my freshly refurbed wheels

get the transfer box locked

and eventually fit my b204

I will keep you updated on my progress
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: cavalier 8v 4x4

Post by Envoy CDX »

Could be an interesting WIP. Any plans to replace the wheels?
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Looks a good project :thumb what colour is it ?
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

That looks great. Should be a good project. What gearbox do these use then? F204x4 or is there another 4x4 box?
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

f20 4x4 same as the gsi's dan

should be nice when she done tom :thumb
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
tommy8252

Post by tommy8252 »

Yep wheels are getting replaced with my 17 inch lenso rs5s

Coulor is alfa romeo milano blue

Yep f20 4x4 may upgrade to f28 with the b204

Also getting the exhaust swapped for a powerflow twin exit system I have tucked away at work
Cavalier-C20LET

Post by Cavalier-C20LET »

2.0 8vs used the F16 box regardless of 4x4 or not, if this is an F20 its been fitted after it left the factory.
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

Cavalier-C20LET wrote:2.0 8vs used the F16 box regardless of 4x4 or not, if this is an F20 its been fitted after it left the factory.
how woud be fitted after it left due to being 4x4 in the first place :scratch
vauxtillidie

Post by vauxtillidie »

An f16 would mate to the transfer box as would the f20, he's saying if its got an f20 it has been changed
2006 Flame Red Astra VXR 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70+ AUX In, CID, Bluetooth, Sight & Light, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All Retrofitted by me :)
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

vauxtillidie wrote:An f16 would mate to the transfer box as would the f20, he's saying if its got an f20 it has been changed
Was there f16 4x4 box like the f20 4x4
vauxtillidie

Post by vauxtillidie »

Apparently so, I don't really know tbh I did see a clutch kit on ebay for 2.0 8v with f16 4x4 box but that may be incorrect
2006 Flame Red Astra VXR 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70+ AUX In, CID, Bluetooth, Sight & Light, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All Retrofitted by me :)
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

An f16 box won't work with a transfer box. There would be no way of mounting the txb to it for starters.
konna

Post by konna »

I was actually contemplating buying rs5's for it but chose them instead. sounds like a plan though mate.

You got it running right yet? Last time I had it checked it was pushing out about 108bhp at the flywheel I think, that was before I did anything, and when it was running OK.
tommy8252

Post by tommy8252 »

hey yeah, got it running as soon as I got it back, jump pack on and she fired up no problems

had a few issues the other day when i took her out though as everyone was pootling round in the snow the engine flooded itself and refused to restart, guessing you fitted the saab red injectors and turned the fuel pressure up to give it a bit more poke?

I'll be putting the engine back to standard for the time being and generally tidying stuff up.

currently got the dash stripped down replacing all the lighting and adding the gsi trip computer, heated seats, fitted the right bench rear seat that I had tucked away, front fog lights getting wired up and gonna follow the online guide to bleed the 4x4 system up as I suspect its not been bled up properly when you had it out.

Going off to the spray shop soon too to have the bad boy bonnet fitted, door spats fitted and the front corner tidying up. And obviously everything colour matched.

Also going to auto spark to have the ignition put back on a key.
dave955

Post by dave955 »

Saab reds in a standard 8v :-o
cavaliersri130

Post by cavaliersri130 »

That's a really nice looking cavalier there m8.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Once driven forever smitten , The car of the future today.
John Owens

Post by John Owens »

Seen this on eBay a while back . Looks as if its been cares for in the past & had a decent amount of dish spent on it . Good luck with it matey :-)
tommy8252

Post by tommy8252 »

Well reverted back to standard injectors, fpr and rail today after it deciding not to run over the weekend.

Discovered timing marks on the pulleys don't line up so timed it using the old method of screwdriver down no1 plug hole and rocker cover off.

Also put a new afm on it. Runs alot nicer now.

Need to change auxiliary belts as the current ones have chunks missing.

Also needs the obligatory rocker cover gasket and a full service.

I even treat it to a wash so will get more pics up shortly
konna

Post by konna »

Yeah I remember swapping the injectors out with ones that gave an even spray pattern compared to the stream that was coming out of what was on there.

Good to see you're doing everything I never managed to get round to doing!

By the way, I flashed out the codes on the 4x4 ecu and swapped a pressure valve out that was faulty, filled and bled the system a couple of times as per the cav16 website, checked wiring, tried a spare 4x4 ecu but it threw out every code there was... kept getting 24 - no speed signal, and 33 (i kept pulling fuse 19 out and I dont know if it has a temp sensor on txb as I couldn't see it when I checked for one!)

Oh, and the AFM was retuned as it threw out a code saying CO potentiometer voltage was too high/low (should still be good for a spare if you haven't binned it already as they're not all adjustable). Cone filter was in need of cleaning, re-oiling and shielding off really. I was gonna put the old box back on with k&n but that's as far as i got! :lol:

Keep us updated buddy
tommy8252

Post by tommy8252 »

Even with new one on it throws the Co potentiometer voltage low code. So gonna look into that think it may be icv causing that.

Locking the box so 4x4 hydraulics shouldnt be a problem.

The Saab reds were throwing far too much fuel in and flooding the engine but not a problem now standard stuff back on but useful as spares for the Saab Turbo engine that will be going in after summer.

Got 2 of the wheels swapped today so get the other 2 swapped tomorrow aswell as my Turbo front leathers and sound system.

Exhaust I've got won't fit straight on so gonna get it to fit with the help of my trusted welder until a custom 3 inch system goes on with the Saab engine.

Already got a fk panel filter in a standard air box on it.

Got some -60 rear springs coming next week and need to source some fronts then have full alignment setup once they're fitted.

Also fixed drivers door, connecting rod had popped out so refitted it and swapped door cards for some I had with silver inserts rather than wood.
tommy8252

Post by tommy8252 »

Pics as promised

John Owens

Post by John Owens »

Great snaps ! Three very smart cavs there guys :-)
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Wheel swap looks much better, the old ones suit the black car as well :thumb are all 3 yours ?
tommy8252

Post by tommy8252 »

All 3 are mine at the minute, just in the process of selling the red one to the missus so technically won't be mine anymore but ill still be the one doing work on it.
tommy8252

Post by tommy8252 »

Right some progress is finally being made, plans have changed slightly as I have sold the b204 on and purchased a msd vectra x25xe and that is now going in instead.

A 4x4 locking kit has been ordered as has the drivers side engine mount.

The car has finally been lowered and the front splitter fitted, once the engine is in and running (this will happen over the next few weeks) then the door spats will be fitted aswell as a replacement wing and the car will get a lower half respray just to bring it back up to standard in the few areas its started to show signs of fatigue.

Heres a few pics