SteLowis Cavailer Turbo wip

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
SteLowis

Re: SteLowis Cavailer Turbo wip

Post by SteLowis »

Decided to pull the alternator off the car to get it reconditioned. Battery light has been fading on & off for a while and the battery goes flat within a couple of weeks of not being used. I pulled the inlet manifold off to make it a bit easier to change the wiring as well. I bought a loom off cemex last week to replace the one that was on as the connectors to the battery terminals were looking a bit rough.

Quite pleased I checked and am changing the wiring as well....

Found out the main cable from the battery to the alternator & starter was joined together with a block connector that had melted :shock: So part of me thinks this is why the light is fading on and off but thought i would get the alternator checked while it was off. Update to follow
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

:o whos use's these block connectors these day's!!!!

lucky it didnt catch fire buddy :thumb
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Wow amazing the bodges some people do to cars! I hate block connectors. Good job you found that, could of been a nice fire there if that wasn't spotted.
planetc

Post by planetc »

Too many people playing with car electrical systems that do not have any understanding of electricity, I cringe when I see some of the bodges. Unfused additional circuits with questionable cable routes are the worst. There should be a law to prevent clueless wan**ers from attempting to do any such modification to a car.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

People think its only 12v and don't realise the current involved
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
SteLowis

Post by SteLowis »

Glad Ive found it. Cheers for the comments lads. The lads checked the alternator and its fine so its this bodge job thats was to blame. Got me self a new inlet gasket and will get round to putting it back on over the weekend hopefully.
hamishvaux

Post by hamishvaux »

The car looks great mate. Hope to see it this year
Current fleet

Cavalier gsi 2000
Nova saloon 2 door
SteLowis

Post by SteLowis »

hamishvaux wrote:The car looks great mate. Hope to see it this year
Cheers but unfortunately not I don't think bud. Getting married this year. Stag do week after pvs and wedding week after billing so no pennies I'm afraid :(
SteLowis

Post by SteLowis »

Haven't been on the forum for a while. With the car being off the road I forgotten about it and with Facebook pages its sometimes easier to view these. Few little updates with us not updating this thread since May.

August
Car was running and looking good so decided to use it for my wedding. Not as the main car but gave my mate it for the day so we had transport the following day from the hotel. Looked well and he was chuffed driving it.

September
With the car coming off the road in October and not being able to make any of the shows this year [2013] I decided to have a run unto Kielder for a little Cavalier meet that was planned. I posted the pictures in the Events forum but thought Id post them on here as well. Car ran faultlessly and was a good run out before the winter. Was good to meet some new people and put some names to faces.

October/November
Its the first time I have took the car off the road really. I cut down on the use but always kept it going. They dont like being stood I don't think. But having another car for work and the misses having the VXR as the daily I thought it would be a good idea to garage it for 6 months. Im hoping to do a bit of work on the back axle/suspension. Tidy it up, new bushes and hopefully getting the tank off and making sure there no nasty things luming. But this has to be done in my garage which is not the biggest so will have to see. Anyway I took the battery off, bought a few dehumidifiers and over inflated the tyres.

Last drive

Dehumidifer

January
Being in the garage and collection a bit of dust I thought I would give it a quick wash and ride round the block. :no Connecting the battery and started first time, full oil pressure no taps and rattles and realised what Im missing out when its parked up :(

Dehumidifers doing a good job. One on the dash and one in the boot was the same

Nice and clean and running well. Part from my rear arch. Not a surprise as Ive been waiting to get this down for a few months now & is starting to bother me. One of me pals that painted the car and I get to do all bodywork is doing it but has been busy. He assures me that its still ok. Gonna replace that part of the 'dogleg' so as long as it doesn't go up over ill be ok. Not long anyway, hopefully.

In between all this while the car off the road I bought a sticker for the from of the fuel computer as mine was looking a bit rough. When I got it I couldn't believe what he was selling.

So I've decided to see if I could do one myself. Not bad for a first attempt. Just need a little adjustment and get printed off.

Deeksin

Post by Deeksin »

Best time to get some jobs done when it's off road mate. Al need to get some dehumidifiers never bothered. Like how you used the beast for a wedding car mate looks spot on
Deeks cavalier GSi 2000
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5348
SteLowis

Post by SteLowis »

With the car being of the road I haven't had anything to report on. Show season is fast approaching and my mate has eventually been able to fit the car in. So i pulled it out of the garage friday night and went to drop it off. Unfortunately the battery is goosed. Been topping battery up and starting the car on a regular basis but I think it fallen on its arse the last week and half or so....typical. Anyways it started no problem with the booster but isn't holding charge. Drove it down no probs. Couldnt believe how well it drove considering it aint been drove since October. No hesitation lumpiness or nothing. Cars in for a little arch job and a full polish etc... then tax & mot. Updates to follow.

SteLowis

Post by SteLowis »

SteLowis

Post by SteLowis »

A little update...picked the car up last Saturday. Very happy with the results.

I acquired some powder coated bits and pieces which I intended on fitting over the winter but never got chance. Needed the money to buy the bushes as well which never had at the time. Fitted the tank straps which has tidied it up a bit. Not my first choice in colour but can't grumble for nothing.

SteLowis

Post by SteLowis »

Pulled the inlet manifold off on Saturday. Found the water leak and replaced pipe and inlet gasket today. Hopefully sorted it, fingers crossed. One step closer to getting it on the road.

Markb

Post by Markb »

Wish I had a carpeted garage to put mine in :-(
1994 Polar Sea Blue Cavalier Turbo 4x4 - Total Vauxhall cover car (Jan 2015 / Issue 170)
SteLowis

Post by SteLowis »

It's just some off cuts fella.
SteLowis

Post by SteLowis »

27/06/14

Quick update. Wheels have been refurbed & 4 new boots. Polished & waxed the wheels in the kitchen while our lass was out lol off for the dreaded mot tomorrow and tax. Hopefully on the road. Gonna try get some mileage during the week & use it for work.

28/06/14
Well smiling from ear to ear. Passed MOT, just a little leak on power steering pipe. Couldn't wait till tues to take so taxed it from 1st June and lost 28 days tax. Worth it thou. Cant take the smile off my face. Done 70 miles and everything fine part from ABS light. Includes sat in traffic for BTCC on sunday. Real test with temps.

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Well done to her for passing the MOT.

Looks fantastic. :thumb
gidged500

Post by gidged500 »

I love this car, not suprised it passed the mot as it is very well looked after ! If you ever sell it I'll be there to buy it :)
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

The cav looks superb, you've done a great job looking after it.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
SteLowis

Post by SteLowis »

Cheers guys. Comments are much appreciated!
Ads

Post by Ads »

the pics don't do this cav justice, Ste has done a brilliant job to get it to the standard it is, one of the best cavs left in the country, Ads
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Looks proper clean mate.... All I can say. :thumb
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
dazzy130

Post by dazzy130 »

looks awesome mate, can't wait to get started on mine
SteLowis

Post by SteLowis »

Ads wrote:the pics don't do this cav justice, Ste has done a brilliant job to get it to the standard it is, one of the best cavs left in the country, Ads
Cheers ads
Cavalier342 wrote:Looks proper clean mate.... All I can say. :thumb
ThankYou!
dazzy130 wrote:looks awesome mate, can't wait to get started on mine
Cheers Daz, look forward to seeing your updates. It looks clean enough already, but judging by your high standards (MK2) then we are in for a treat.