Insurance group?

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

ronnie1995

Insurance group?

Post by ronnie1995 »

Hi guys,
I've been trying to negotiate with my insurance company to transfer back to the cav, however they are quoting a lot of money for the transfer and are claiming that the insurance group of my cavalier is group 20, however this can't be true as a relative's Honda s2000 is group 20 and I'm sure if i remember right that the cavalier is around group 10.

What officially is the insurance group on cavaliers? or is there somewhere I can look up the official statistic to show them?

The cavalier is a 1.8 GLi model and is 1992 prefacelift.

From a google search the cavalier 4x4 model comes up as group 13, so surely my 8v 1.8l can't be more.

Anyhow your help will be much appreciated as i'm becoming more and more fed up with my Astra mk4.

Cheers
Ron
DiplomaXE

Re: Insurance group?

Post by DiplomaXE »

used be out of ten, then 20, now I believe it is scored out of 50. Group 20 sounds about right.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I was just about to shout a load of obscenities regarding group 20 but I forgot that they changed the number of groups like Pete said. Yes halfway up the ladder sounds about right, 1.8's are cheap as chips to insure usually.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
ronnie1995

Post by ronnie1995 »

Okay I see, however they are saying my astra mk4 1.6 is a group 9, so I don't get how the cavalier would be of such a higher category?
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

ronnie1995 wrote:Okay I see, however they are saying my astra mk4 1.6 is a group 9, so I don't get how the cavalier would be of such a higher category?
maybe the cav is a bigger engine, maybe higher risk etc. iirc older car does not always mean cheaper.
92' cav would be a classic car on my policy/with my company, so cheaper in the long run over a 1.6 mk4.
are you running a standard type policy? tried a classic one?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Maybe the Cavalier is such a high group because it was one of the most commonly stolen vehicles in the mid nineties...
Hence the drive to fit alarms and dead-lock immobilizers in 1995...
Too late for 90-odd % of Cavaliers.

Not quite as bad as the Mk2 - I don't think many escaped being broken into and / or stolen.