front windscreen rubber

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's bodywork and interior (welding, body kits, seats, upholstery etc.) here
bigsilver

front windscreen rubber

Post by bigsilver »

Hello looking for a bit a advice, I pulled the rubber seal out along the top and quarter way down the sides to get at the bits of rust bubbling, does the screen have to be taken out to get the rubber back in or will some fairy liquid and perseverance get it back in,, cheerz tam
ilovedmymantas

Re: front windscreen rubber

Post by ilovedmymantas »

bigsilver wrote:Hello looking for a bit a advice, I pulled the rubber seal out along the top and quarter way down the sides to get at the bits of rust bubbling, does the screen have to be taken out to get the rubber back in or will some fairy liquid and perseverance get it back in,, cheerz tam
The latter, expect to add some frustration to perseverance though, it can be fiddly ;)
matt
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Yes, it just pushes back in. Careful when you remove it, keep it perpendicular if possible so you know which way it goes back on. Clean up inside the seal with a toothbrush, and around the edge of the windscreen to get rid of bits of crap which will affect the sealing.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
bigsilver

Post by bigsilver »

Thanks for your advice m8
leigh200sx

Post by leigh200sx »

its not a seal its a trim and you will struggle to refiit it correctly as its meant to be fitted when the screen is fitted.. i am a master tech and been fitting for 20 years so i have a little bit of knolodge in the subject
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Took mine out of my mk2 Astra when spraying it. It came out in bits, I guess it had hardened with age.
I cleaned the gap up after paint and filled it with a neutral cure black silicone sealant so just underflush, looked quite good!

Alan
bigsilver

Post by bigsilver »

Cheerz guys I got it in no bother bit of fairy done the trick :-)