Windscreen claim

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Telegram Sam

Windscreen claim

Post by Telegram Sam »

I got the front windscreen replaced for £162 but can't decide if on balance it's worth putting in an insurance claim. Adrian Flux, no NCB on this policy, excess £75 or possibly £150 depending on interpretation (if the latter then I wouldn't claim). Anyone got any views?
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
planetc

Re: Windscreen claim

Post by planetc »

Interpretation? Chances are it's going to be the latter, especially now that it's been changed.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

Think you might have shot yourself in the foot...

When I claimed my windscreen... It had to be declared at time of payment that it was going through insurance...
If I paid outright, they would NOT reinburse me any costs.
Any windscreen claim doesnt effect NCD or put you premium up next re-newal.

Obv different companies do things differently though...

As you have already paid, If its not put you out to much (cost is managable) then I wouldnt hastle yourself with paperwork and claims...
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I did notify them in advance of my desire / intention to use someone else than their default Mr-Fixit-in-a-Van man for the job, and the folk I spoke to didn't say no in so many words. On the other hand you never know who speaks to and on behalf of whom in the chain of things leading to the underwriter via the claims and customer service depts and broker ..... With this policy there isn't an NCB to lose but that doesn't mean that the base premium won't skyrocket on the basis of a windscreen claim. This is what I'm trying to sus out before deciding on whether or not to put the claim through (and what excess would apply).
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

Fair do's...
Insurance is a tricky game...

I only paid the excess, still gained my ncb for the year and when shopping around for re-newal
Thought i would get quotes with and without the claim... and there was no change in any price...
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

It would be nice if I could [work out how to] emulate what you achieved. Which insurance co were you / are you with? [There's a separate post from me somewhere suggesting that there should be an "Experience with Insurers" sub-forum]
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Telegram Sam wrote:I got the front windscreen replaced for £162
That's a decent price who did you use ? is it tinted & have the top sun strip ?
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Yes + yes. Car Glass North East Middlesbrough recommended by Envoy Gary. I suspect rates there are a bit lower than in Bromley ...
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

In my experience Adrian Flux will not screw you over, if i'm honest paying for a windscreen and then claiming it back is not something i have heard of before. Adrian Flux only use the best fitters and companies, when I had a windscreen replaced on my Carlton it was replaced by Cambridge Windscreens and they went above and beyond my expectations even painting some rust repelant on the appeture before refitting.

It sounds very high if the windscreen excess is £150, it is much more likely to be the £75 although having said that the £150 may be the figure if you pay and claim it back.

Post up the policy wording and let us see what we think.
Mark
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - the friendly club
http://www.vodc.co.uk
VBOA Members
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

As I understand it the £150 XS applies if I don't use their approved supplier (in which case it's probably not worth putting in a claim). The unresolved question is what the situation is now if I told them in advance of my intention of going to someone with a workshop rather than getting their travelling van to do the job. If they accept that then the chances are that the XS is £75.
I had the brilliant idea of taking my own Rustbuster treatment with me and applying it whilst the edges of the frame were exposed.
Adrian Flux referred me to the underwriters Kinetic for this. Never heard of the latter.
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

Telegram Sam wrote:It would be nice if I could [work out how to] emulate what you achieved. Which insurance co were you / are you with? [There's a separate post from me somewhere suggesting that there should be an "Experience with Insurers" sub-forum]

Cant remember who I was with... Changes every year... lol
Have the paper work somewhere... But was fitted through Autoglass

Many people believe that if you make a windscreen claim on a policy you will loose any NCB you may earn that year...
As long as you are fully comp (some offer on 3rd party F+T... But would have to read your terms and conditions) you will still earn 1 years NCB.

When I came to re new my insurance I hit the comparison sites... Thinking that declaring the windscreen claim would bump up my premiums
I filled the info out first and didn't declare it, got the quotes..
Then went back and edited the details and did declare it... Not a single quote changed
Tried on a few sites and had the same result...

Some insurance will refuse to payout if you do not use an approved fitter, But as you said...
They will prob charge you a higher excess... Once again will be covered in your policy wording... Or just give them a ring...
Just because you asked, doesnt mean you are locked into an agreement...

If they do want to charge you a higher excess... best to walk away... as you said, no point in making a claim...

At the end of the day... It all boils down to who answers the phone and what mood they are in... you might be able to talk them round to doing you a deal... lol
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Telegram Sam wrote:Yes + yes. Car Glass North East Middlesbrough recommended by Envoy Gary. I suspect rates there are a bit lower than in Bromley ...
Did they come to you, or you go to them, as that has shot up since I used them.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I drove down to them. Haven't got your clout :(
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

Telegram Sam wrote:As I understand it the £150 XS applies if I don't use their approved supplier (in which case it's probably not worth putting in a claim). The unresolved question is what the situation is now if I told them in advance of my intention of going to someone with a workshop rather than getting their travelling van to do the job. If they accept that then the chances are that the XS is £75.
I had the brilliant idea of taking my own Rustbuster treatment with me and applying it whilst the edges of the frame were exposed.
Adrian Flux referred me to the underwriters Kinetic for this. Never heard of the latter.
Give their customer services a call, they are usually very helpful and willing to explain the 'small print'
Mark
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - the friendly club
http://www.vodc.co.uk
VBOA Members
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Telegram Sam wrote:I drove down to them. Haven't got your clout :(
Clout? I rang them up and asked over the phone, saying that it was 2008 :/
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Actually it was the Dton accent wot clinched it.
suzi

Post by suzi »

I had a new windscreen a couple of yrs ago cost me excess £75 fitted by auto glass hat dug job sheet out glass was £89.45 & rubber trim was £91.36 total for job if I didn't claim would have been £236.95 with vat! Then to top it off only had the screen in a week went to dip interior mirror cos a idiot was blinding me & it dropped off, so gave em a call & got another screen for free !
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Cheque for £12 arrived out of the blue representing the cost of the replacement less £150 XS because I'd used "my" repairer rather than their man-in-a-van. I was reluctant to cash it in in case that then counted as a claim at renewal time but AF customer services swore blind that it would have no effect, neither on NCB nor on the base premium. Hope they are right
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Ordinarily, glass only claims do not affect no claims bonuses,
But come renewal time - a claim is a claim.

But thinking about it - unwittingly I have never declared glass claims at renewal time.