What's your best MPG

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

James McGrath
Club Admin

What's your best MPG

Post by James McGrath »

I've been paying quite allot of attention to MPG figures lately.

For the last few months I've been filling up the same amount each time, (usually £20) writing down the price of the fuel, where I got it from, how many miles I got out of it and what sort of conditions I was driving in.

I've been doing it for the Diplomat and over the last 3 months I've averaged 37.36mpg in the Diplomat. 90% of the time I was driving as economically as I could under the circumstances.

The highest MPG I achieved in that time was 41.08 on shell regular and the lowest was 30.71 on BP regular.

I've just started doing it on the LS as well and without even trying to be economical I averaged 44.82mpg on my first fill and just now achieved a whopping 47.58 mpg on my latest fill up using BP "Ultimate" (97ron) fuel both times.

I've very pleased with how the LS is performing, It certainly puts allot of modern petrol cars to shame!
Cavalier342

Re: What's your best MPG

Post by Cavalier342 »

Never got a true reading before but I use a fuel economy calculator online, put in the amount, price, distance driven and you get a rough result. All depends on how you drive though.. I estimated my auto to be 32mpg combined and the V6 less around town but well in the 30's on a run.... I've yet to do an eco-run in the V6 purely because it's impossible..... :lol:
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Ads

Post by Ads »

on the recent run down to PVS in the cav turbo, the trip computor says i was averaging 34.2 miles per gallon, but i dont know if this is right, as i think its a bit optimistic, Ads
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Briilant not drove the cav this year lol
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
Super89

Post by Super89 »

James McGrath wrote:I've been paying quite allot of attention to MPG figures lately.

For the last few months I've been filling up the same amount each time, (usually £20) writing down the price of the fuel, where I got it from, how many miles I got out of it and what sort of conditions I was driving in.

I've been doing it for the Diplomat and over the last 3 months I've averaged 37.36mpg in the Diplomat. 90% of the time I was driving as economically as I could under the circumstances.

The highest MPG I achieved in that time was 41.08 on shell regular and the lowest was 30.71 on BP regular.

I've just started doing it on the LS as well and without even trying to be economical I averaged 44.82mpg on my first fill and just now achieved a whopping 47.58 mpg on my latest fill up using BP "Ultimate" (97ron) fuel both times.

I've very pleased with how the LS is performing, It certainly puts allot of modern petrol cars to shame!

Dont think my diesel gets them kind of reading like your 1.6 LS. My diesel is tuned, Im running on veg oil and it works out around 0,76p a Litre so i dont mind.
Calibra v6 gets around 18mpg to 22mpg round town..on a run maybe 30mpg if your lucky.. :lol:

No idea what my 16sv engine used to get..
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Always depends how you drive. All my cars have been dreadful, I wonder why lol
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

btcctroy wrote:Always depends how you drive.
Yeah, absolutely. I keep the weight to an absolute minimum too; the only extra things I have in the car is a foot pump, a couple of cloths and 5 cassette tapes!

I have only just given her a service too which always helps. Keeping the tyres pumped up just above the recommended amount helps too.

The highest I've ever got is when I went to see you Troy. 52mpg, that was driving at 56mph all along the motorway!
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Corsa is averaging somewhere between 34 and 37mpg
But then I am rarely gentle with it at the moment.
Nothing to sneeze at, but I probably could push 40mpg if I really wanted to.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

The Dippy Xe does 38 mpg average, pretty well most times I fill it, 44 mpg overall was the best tankful IIRC, 47 when it was a 2.0 NE.

The Auto 16SV was doing 36-37 mpg average, sorted a few niggles on it and it's going miles better lately, last time it popped out a 39 mpg one, 500 miles on that one iirc. this tank full is heading the same direction, as I have just roared to Weymouth on a roadtrip, so not so much running around town/commuting.

The Monaro is quite hilarious, goes from amazing to stooped - had one tankful at a very respectable 34 average and that was a 500 mile day trip to my uncles funeral, taking my dad as a passenger, so fast but steady. as soon as you slow down and go off the motorway is falls like a stone, especially if you gun it as nature intended. Usually averaging 25, mostly use it for decent journeys though and around 29-30 mpgs, but it does go down to 2.8 mpg if required, if I drive it as the Aussies intended.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I love that.... Goes down from 34 MPG to 2.8 MPG :D
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

My 2.0 CDi has the wide ratio gearbox fitted which shows 60mph at 2000rpm and I can't recall getting under 40mpg.
Best run was back down to Southend area from Newcastle where I tried to maintain 70 as best I could which resulted in 52mpg!
Well happy!
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

DiplomaXE wrote:The Dippy Xe does 38 mpg average, pretty well most times I fill it, 44 mpg overall was the best tankful IIRC, 47 when it was a 2.0 NE.

Nice figures there. Pretty much the same average as my NE Diplomat, only you have 35 extra BHP. :cool

I haven't done any long motorway trips while I've been recording the fuel consumption, so it's maximum mpg has yet to be seen.

Mk3alan wrote:My 2.0 CDi has the wide ratio gearbox fitted which shows 60mph at 2000rpm and I can't recall getting under 40mpg.
Best run was back down to Southend area from Newcastle where I tried to maintain 70 as best I could which resulted in 52mpg!
Well happy!
Awesome. The non cat 20NE is a bit better with fuel than the C20NE.

Do you do allot of motorway miles? I struggle to get 40mpg in the diplomat which has the same gearbox.
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

The 3 litre normally averages around 30 mpg,not bad for 200+ hp I didn't think.
Long gearing of the F25 gearbox helps a lot.

For comparison,just done 750 miles in the 206 GTI (2 litre 140 hp) at an average of 39mpg
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Geeeez mine must either be fubar or the fact I spend my whole life in traffic to and from work as a full tank when calculated worked out to barely 30mpg or so for a C20NE!!

Funnily she is actually more economical at 75-80mph on the motorway cruising in 5th....I normally
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Mikebmth wrote:Geeeez mine must either be fubar or the fact I spend my whole life in traffic to and from work as a full tank when calculated worked out to barely 30mpg or so for a C20NE!!

Funnily she is actually more economical at 75-80mph on the motorway cruising in 5th....I normally

Yeah, I got that 30.71 mpg figure when I got stuck in bad traffic.

Road conditions seem to affect the C20NE far more than the C16NZ2.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Best I ever got was out my old 2.0 8 Valve - would you believe I got 59 MPG! I was driving from Scotland to England feather footed (60-70) trailing vans and busses where I could to reduce drag etc.

Typical MPG in my "new" 1.8 is 39.5MPG , which I measured last week, mix of town and mway driving. the way I do it is fill the car to the brim, then when it's nearly empty fill it back up, take the amount of litres to refill say 58 litres, divide by 4.545, which is litres in a gallon, which then gives your gallons.

Then divide miles covered by the gallons you used and voila!
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Posted this elsewhere but I have just improved my best in my 8v CDi on a recent 174 mile journey to 53mpg, but 59 is brill!

Alan
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Mk3alan wrote:Posted this elsewhere but I have just improved my best in my 8v CDi on a recent 174 mile journey to 53mpg, but 59 is brill!

Alan

I know was well chuffed with myself. Really just kept the engine really sweet, cleaned plugs ever so often, flush and change oil when dirty, make sure all ignition connectors were clean, tyres not spongy, tracking set correctly etc. And of course as many OE parts as possible.

I'm really wanting a 2.0 again, hate that silly spi 1.8, it's a bit more of a guzzler as well plus has a cat that I don't want on it.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Latest MPG figure for 1.8 Cav = 41.3, last one was 39.5, about 5/8 way through my next tank full and just over 220 miles on clock.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I don't know what MPG it would work out as, I can't be bothered figuring it out, but I've just got over 30 miles from £6.55 (5 liters) of premium 97 unleaded in the V6!!! Been proper skint recently so only been commuting, with a feather foot and using the gears like James May, I was bloody impressed. I know reserve on these is a bit vague at times but basically the needle hasn't got out of the red for 3 days :lol: Only just put some more in today as I've been paid. Tell you what, never thought I'd get that efficiency out of that beast!
Previous:

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Cavalier342 wrote:I don't know what MPG it would work out as, I can't be bothered figuring it out, but I've just got over 30 miles from £6.55 (5 liters) of premium 97 unleaded in the V6!!! Been proper skint recently so only been commuting, with a feather foot and using the gears like James May, I was bloody impressed. I know reserve on these is a bit vague at times but basically the needle hasn't got out of the red for 3 days :lol: Only just put some more in today as I've been paid. Tell you what, never thought I'd get that efficiency out of that beast!

30 miles from 5 litres is about 27 mpg. If that was around town then it was pretty good.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Only around town, no more than 30-35mph. 35 only in 5th to avoid labouring the motor downhill.
Previous:

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Cavalier342 wrote:Only around town, no more than 30-35mph. 35 only in 5th to avoid labouring the motor downhill.

That's very good then.

I would suggest keeping it in a lower gear going downhill though.
If you can keep the revs above 1400 rpm then the engine won't use any fuel at all if you're not pressing the accelerator. If the revs go below 1400 rpm then a small amount of fuel will be used to keep the engine going.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I usually try to keep her between 1000-2000 when cruising.
Previous:

cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Latest MPG = 40.3

520 miles done, took 58.57 litres to fill up

1.8 SPI

That's inbetween my last reading and the first one I posted.