electric windows

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

andy

electric windows

Post by andy »

does any 1 no a easy fix as my electric window switch is on permenently with out the key and it always makes my battary flat so ive taken the fuse out at the moment ive been told it could b the ignition any ideas any 1 thanx
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: electric windows

Post by Envoy CDX »

Check the door pins that turn the interior light on and off. They can corrode as well as the wiring to them which can lead to this problem.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Peanut_119

Post by Peanut_119 »

your windows switches should stay live (lights should stay on) untill a door is open, then they should go off, apart from the drivers front door,
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Peanut_119 wrote:your windows switches should stay live (lights should stay on) untill a door is open, then they should go off, apart from the drivers front door,
For 30 or so seconds, however it shouldn't be on after the door has been closed, which is what I think the issue is if its draining the battery.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Peanut_119

Post by Peanut_119 »

mine stay live when the engine is turned off untill a door is opened or the interior light is turned on, i no what u mean about the door pin tho, and personally thats what id be checking
andy

Post by andy »

thanx for that mate i have look at door pins in mornin my window switches stay lit up constanly they dnt go off lol not good i let u knw if its the door pins thanx fellas
planetc

Post by planetc »

The drivers door switch has two terminals on it, one does the light, the other the window thing, I've seen one or two that have had a single pin switch and the second wire has been left dangling.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

check the plug at the centre console i had mine out the other day and its started working exactly as it should now,
andy

Post by andy »

thanx i will have look to c if it has 1 or 2 pin and i will try the console aswell thanx mate i go out when bloody rain stops lol
andy

Post by andy »

ive looked at door pins 1 has 1 pin on passenger side and drivers side has 2 pins does any body know if that could b the problem i might b easyer gettin new for both sides i think ?
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

That right the drivers side shud have 2 pins and the passenger 1.

Were the connections all nice ie. no rust, on tight etc...?

Or on another note somebody may have rewired it in the past to a permanent live for sum strange reason, as gaz said check wiring.
planetc

Post by planetc »

One of those wires on the drivers side does the interior light, the other sends an earth signal back to the window switches to let them know the door is open. This is only on the drivers door.

Identify which of the two does the windows by grounding them out individually, it'll be the one that does nothing to the interior light.
Ground that wire, the window switches should light up, regardless of ign switch position whilst it is grounded.
With the ign off the windows should be lit whilst this wire is grounded (ie door open) and then be go off once the door is closed and the circuit disconnects.
If not then look at a wiring diagram to see which pin the other end is on at the switches and make sure the wire has continuity between both ends.
It can make it confusing if you do not know the normal operation, because the window switches stay lit when you turn off the ign, until that wire has been grounded but they don't go off until it has then been ungrounded.

Every car I ever saw with this complaint had something to do with this wire or the drivers door switch, and the chances are very high that this will be where the problem is. The next part of the chain would be the window switches, assuming the wiring has not been modified as has been suggested.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"