A few electrical gremlins on my c25xe?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

5853moore

A few electrical gremlins on my c25xe?

Post by 5853moore »

Ive a few electrical gremlins on my c25xe which are as follows:

The passenger side fog light keeps constantly blowing the bulb?

The coolant check bulb has a mind of its own and will come on for no reason. (coolant correct level and not dropping)

The central locking is very lazy?

The boot will not lock with the central locking but it does unlock?

Im sure there simple fixes which i haven't looked at but was wondering if anyone else could help?
Cavalier342

Re: A few electrical gremlins on my c25xe?

Post by Cavalier342 »

As this was my old motor, I might be of some assistance here?

Front nearside fog light has never played up when I had it, when you say blowing the bulb, you mean actually blowing it or is it just a loose connection/bad earth? I replaced the offside fog light when I bought the car, but didn't touch the nearside one, has always worked fine.

The coolant level sender unit is probably the reason why the light comes on, been like that ever since I removed the reservoir and cleaned it inside, it may be that I somehow bent or dislodged the float inside, that as far as I know is the reason for that. That's the small unit into which a plug goes into on the front side of the reservoir.

The central locking did play up on it once, I since swapped the control relay from my old auto before that was scrapped and it worked fine after that. The trunk lid lock not "following" the rest of the system when locked from doors has always been that way, I couldn't figure out why. I did once replace the whole lock set on the car, I've no idea why it does it.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...