Center gauges

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

cav gsi

Center gauges

Post by cav gsi »

Will there be the wiring for oil pressure and voltage gauges in my cavalier gsi 1990?
At the mo I have a empty space where they would go.
Is there a way to remove the plastic to get behind or do I have to cut through.
Any help much appreciated.
ilovedmymantas

Re: Center gauges

Post by ilovedmymantas »

The good news is the oddment tray just unclips on either side at the back.
The bad news is ....it's a cavalier .. it can only be done (afaik non-destructively) by removing the radio/oddment tray first. First unscrew the centre console, unclip the gearstick gaitor, slide it back. Pull out ashtray assembly. Remove the screws , 2 each side of footwell , & 2 screws where ashtray's been. pull that bit back, you'll notice the lower tray mounts are behind this. ( may need a little bit of flexing to get this bit in/out when you eventually get to that part) :lol:

Now for the top.( you're not gonna believe this!)

Unclip the trim from below the speedo cluster - bit of gentle force needed- and remove the clock. Remove screws for heater controls. On the top right one(s) you'll notice that again the mount you want off is behind the heater control ones. For me, this one took a lot of flexing to get off, and eventually back on. You should now be able to remove the radio/oddment tray, unclip the tray and reassemble.
Since you've gone this far you'd be as well to change the bulb in heater console. I used a flat-ended white led, doesn't dim but it'll probably outlast me...or the car...or both :lol:
(remember to check it before re-assembly, led's only work 1-way round)
Good time to change your gaitors if required too.
Just done all this 3 weeks ago, so think I've covered everything, hopefully clearly :?:

" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
cav gsi

Post by cav gsi »

Wow lol
Great stuff thanks alot.
Should the wiring be there ready for the gauges too?
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

cav gsi wrote:Wow lol
Great stuff thanks alot.
Should the wiring be there ready for the gauges too?
No these gauges were only standard on the calibre you'll have to wire them yourself & fit a dual output oil pressure sender & pull in a new cable, most people nick a feed & earth off the ciggy lighter for the volt gauge. In my GSI I found the plugs for the heated seats & used that.