speedo not quite right

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Rich P

speedo not quite right

Post by Rich P »

i changed the dash background to white today,i found this white lockwood set at the scrapyard and slipped it into my pocket ;) .anyway,after putting it all back together i went for a drive and the speedo didnt appear to be reading correctly because i felt i was going slower,was doing 30 but it felt like 20.the rev counter was deffinately wrong because it was showing higher revs than normal but not sounding like it.i must have done something wrong when putting it all back together,not sure what though?
Drives a 1989 Mk3 cav sri 2.0 8v SEH
Gaz

Re: speedo not quite right

Post by Gaz »

way to do it is, take the speedo out and the needle off. Then on the back there is the silver ring that spins with the speedo, place the needle at 10mph (or the lowest reading) and then rotate the silver disk to make the needle point to 20mph (or the next mark up)while holding the silver ring where it is move the needle back to the lowest setting and click it into place that should see it right
Rich P

Post by Rich P »

i will give it a go.i need to take the dash back out again anyway because i dont like the red led's on the white background
Rich P

Post by Rich P »

gaz where exactly is this silver disk,is it really small and surrounded by a wire that rotates around it,it also has a line or marker on it
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

from what i remeber it sticks out from the sides
The speedo cable twists a wire inside the clocks that spin the disk slowly to move the needle to the specified speed

Its been a long time since i did it but i dont really remember any marking on it

Its not that small its about a 3rd of the size of the speedo face
Rich P

Post by Rich P »

ok i think it correct now,im going to get one of my mates to drive behind and check