air temp gauge/dash illumination

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

bubbas

air temp gauge/dash illumination

Post by bubbas »

hi - i have just bought a cav gls n reg and have a few niggles to sort out as and when i can. the outside temp sensor does not give a reading ( above the clock on the dash) and i was wondering if it is the the little black sensor that would be at fault. ( is there anything else to go wrong with it , and also is the sensor hidden behind the front bumper somewhere? ). i have seen them for sale on ebay for £4.95 - a bargain ?
also the dash illumination for the heater controls does not light up and i imagine there is a bulb behind there somewhere but is it easy to get to without damaging the facia in trying , perhaps there is a knack to getting to it ?
any suggestions gratefully received.
andrew
Gaz

Re: air temp gauge/dash illumination

Post by Gaz »

Yea the little black sensor is usually at fault

Taking the heater controls out is a bit of a pain in the arse but it is doable, take the clock out then the bit under the dials then you should find the screws holding it down, it should pull forward enough to get the bulbs.
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

My heater controls hardly light up either. When i looked there was only 1 bulb and then a piece of see threw plastic thats supposed to carry the light to the other parts but does a crap job of it!

Are there supposed to be 2 bulbs? Or just one really bright one.
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Just one as far as i know. You must be able to get a brighter led that fits.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Ive got a spare one i got given last week so i'll have a look.
Mort

Post by Mort »

bubbas wrote:...i was wondering if it is the the little black sensor that would be at fault. ( is there anything else to go wrong with it , and also is the sensor hidden behind the front bumper somewhere? ). i have seen them for sale on ebay for £4.95 - a bargain ?
andrew

I had this on my Cav, as Gaz said, it is the little black sensor. £4.95 is a reasonable price, I paid a couple of quid more for a genuine one from Vaux (mugs rates). The sensor is at the bottom of the front bumper just in front of the wheel. A bit of a bugger to find and get the new one in the right place unless you, a) already know where it should go, or b) lift the corner of the car up a little to get a better look at it. Or you can do what I did and just curse and swear at it till you can fit it. It just pushes in though, no tools required. Make sure that you do fit it correctly though, it will fall down and drag along the road otherwise... :roll:
1995 Vauxhall Cavalier mk3 LS 2.0i 16v Automatic
1998 Vauxhall Astra mk4 CD 1.6i 16v
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Definately just one bulb...could try uprating from1.2 watts to say 2 watts.

Bulb is a T5 capless item.

The heater panel is a pig to get out.

Ideally you should undo the bowden cable to the left of the drivers footwell, hidden by the under-dash panel.
The remove the upper steering cowling.
Flex out the lower instrument trim, you have to bow it out at the centre towards you.
This exposes screws on either side of the instruments to remove the upper instrument shroud.
Once removed, you undo the screws holding the heater panel in place.
You then remove the clock and remove the screws that are hidden behind it.
The heater assembly will just pull forward enough to get to the single bulb holder with two purple wires on it.
Swap the bulb, and then refit everything in reverse order.

Alternatively unclip the two lower bowden cables, remove the panel completely and buy one from ebay with a full led conversion....then refit hatnes style.

Regarding the temp sensor...this is located on the passenger side of the front bumper approx 4" (10cm) from the rear-edge (nearest the road wheel).
There are three tangs that you squeeze in towards the centre probe. Push this into the bumper. where it will drop down complete with loom.
Unplug old sensor, plug in new one and refit in hole in the bumper.
bubbas

Post by bubbas »

Mort wrote:
bubbas wrote:...i was wondering if it is the the little black sensor that would be at fault. ( is there anything else to go wrong with it , and also is the sensor hidden behind the front bumper somewhere? ). i have seen them for sale on ebay for £4.95 - a bargain ?
andrew

I had this on my Cav, as Gaz said, it is the little black sensor. £4.95 is a reasonable price, I paid a couple of quid more for a genuine one from Vaux (mugs rates). The sensor is at the bottom of the front bumper just in front of the wheel. A bit of a bugger to find and get the new one in the right place unless you, a) already know where it should go, or b) lift the corner of the car up a little to get a better look at it. Or you can do what I did and just curse and swear at it till you can fit it. It just pushes in though, no tools required. Make sure that you do fit it correctly though, it will fall down and drag along the road otherwise... :roll:
thanks for that reply , I had a quick look but couldn't see it , is it on the drivers or passenger side ?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

the passenger side of the bumper...(assuming you mean UK right hand drive).
If yours is missing, then you won't find it.
Look for a pair of blue and blue/white wires with a plug on the end...these are the temperature sensor wires.

Look for a pair of wires on your clock connector too...for the same two wires!!
If your car came with the dual display, then it should have the two wires in the connector.

If not, then yours may be an unfinished project - fitting a Dual Info Display in place of a base model analogue clock.

Quite an easy thing to do.
Get a temp sensor and connector. Get approx 2 lengths of wire, approx 2 metres long each.
Run the wires from the bumper, along the inner wing, through the bulk-head behind the fuse box, and then to the clock / temp display plug.