electric cars

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

bigmitch

electric cars

Post by bigmitch »

This carry on with the panic buy with petrol made me think about electric cars the
distance they can travel aside, but they way petrol price's are going they are startiing
to look a good idea .This could be what the goverment is pushing us to, I no that could be
classed as a tin foil hat fodder but joking aside they are starting to good to me especially around town.
funny enough the local council use them .
Gaz

Re: electric cars

Post by Gaz »

the joys of that is then the electric companies will push prices up...
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

Gaz wrote:the joys of that is then the electric companies will push prices up...

solar power on the roof of house powers your car, the tec is there it the cost it the problem
Kevwaggy

electric cars

Post by Kevwaggy »

Hydrogen is the future
"You offer someone a sincere compliment on their moustache and suddenly she's not your friend anymore"

I've decided I would really like a sex change, preferably from 'none' to 'absolutely shitloads'
rustyarches

electric cars

Post by rustyarches »

i make my own bio-deisel its messy but its nice to have free fuel from takeaways:-)
Rustyarches vauxhall make them and i break them. cars owned 40+cavaliers,8 calibras, 3 astras, 2 novas, 1 fontera, 2 carltons, 1 senator, 1 omega, 1 corsa , 3 vectras,
planetc

Post by planetc »

Electric cars (and decent hybrids) are a long way from practical for average joe. Range aside, the cars are still very expensive with massive 1st owner depreciation and a limited life span due to the cost of replacement batteries. I did a course on hybrid/electric cars and I can't remember the exact figures, but they were such that you would be looking at scrapping the car once the batteries expired. A hybrid toureg for example was something like around £60k, with an expected battery life of no more than ten years tops and a replacement battery module in excess of £7k.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
rustyarches

electric cars

Post by rustyarches »

i drive a eletric fork truck i only do about 2 miles a day in the warehouse and loading lorrys,a charge lasts 3 days.here is a pic of what i drive all day. its 6 bhp and can pick up 1800 kg,and its a 1999 model, ImageImage
Rustyarches vauxhall make them and i break them. cars owned 40+cavaliers,8 calibras, 3 astras, 2 novas, 1 fontera, 2 carltons, 1 senator, 1 omega, 1 corsa , 3 vectras,
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

planetc wrote:Electric cars (and decent hybrids) are a long way from practical for average joe. Range aside, the cars are still very expensive with massive 1st owner depreciation and a limited life span due to the cost of replacement batteries. I did a course on hybrid/electric cars and I can't remember the exact figures, but they were such that you would be looking at scrapping the car once the batteries expired. A hybrid toureg for example was something like around £60k, with an expected battery life of no more than ten years tops and a replacement battery module in excess of £7k.
Thats due to oil companies interfering in the design of the tec, your trying to tell me in last fifty years we can't desgin a battery cheap and last a couple hundred miles and recharge quick yet we have hi-tec computers and phones, we walked on the moon sent
satellites to all the planets in the solar system yet we still use an engine desgined in 1895 ,c£p this is the way they want it
planetc

Post by planetc »

bigmitch wrote:
planetc wrote:Electric cars (and decent hybrids) are a long way from practical for average joe. Range aside, the cars are still very expensive with massive 1st owner depreciation and a limited life span due to the cost of replacement batteries. I did a course on hybrid/electric cars and I can't remember the exact figures, but they were such that you would be looking at scrapping the car once the batteries expired. A hybrid toureg for example was something like around £60k, with an expected battery life of no more than ten years tops and a replacement battery module in excess of £7k.
Thats due to oil companies interfering in the design of the tec, your trying to tell me in last fifty years we can't desgin a battery cheap and last a couple hundred miles and recharge quick yet we have hi-tec computers and phones, we walked on the moon sent
satellites to all the planets in the solar system yet we still use an engine desgined in 1895 ,c£p this is the way they want it
More to do with shipping cost than anything else I think, the lithium comes from some obscure place and is shipped halfway around the world to be made into batteries, then around the other half to be put into cars.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

The amount of co emissions That come from the Manufacture of batteries is massive. Plus the cost if disposing the batteries.
Stored energy isn't the future and will never be. The best energy converter is the human body.
A Mr fusion is the future
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
mr v6

Post by mr v6 »

petrol is the way forward :) as every one goes to alternative power units the demand for petrol will rapidly decrease and so will the price!!!

demand is out stripping supply at the moment as every one has a car!and drives it every where all the time!
Squig

Post by Squig »

Mildly guilty... honestly I think bio-diesel/electric true hybrids are a viable solution. See that Fisker on TG a while back, but replace the poxy petrol lump for a poxier diesel designed to run on plant oil based diesel...
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Nothing with a battery is a viable solutuon. When the batteries have expelled there life span the cost is massive Your Talking thousands. Hybrids are not the answer ok for the first 3 years then after are not worth a bean
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
planetc

Post by planetc »

I vote pedals!
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

planetc wrote:I vote pedals!
The way petrol prices are going I thinking about buying shares in halfords
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

eh? halfords starting selling petrol?

mr v6

Post by mr v6 »

sorry not motivated :no
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

humbucker wrote:eh? halfords starting selling petrol?

No, but they do sell bikes, lots of bikes
One question whats with the pic of mister motivator humbucker