If you had to get rid of your Cav..

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

planetc

Re: If you had to get rid of your Cav..

Post by planetc »

Cavalier342 wrote:They manufacture new cars to fail, therefore making the owners return them to the dealerships
...in short, bollocks, you are talking shit again!
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

How comes I see a lot more modern cars nowadays parked by the side of the road with an AA van behind them.... :scratch
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

compared to a 20 year old cav 95% of the cars on the road are newer than yours
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

True, but I mean post-2000 cars, even some only a couple years old... They're built with too many electronic components which doesn't make them any more reliable :p
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Martin_TD

Post by Martin_TD »

The cav is really annoying right now, £78 for a clutch kit (will need to pay someone to fit aswell), £76 for a heater motor from ebay, reverse light switch £5 and I've not checked the price of brakes yet as I can't stomach it :D

Oh aye, shes got a fuel leak aswell, **** me.

I can't see myself driving anything else but I'd like to be able to let go of it, I doubt I'll be paying for a respray for her as shes got some lacquer peeling on bonnet/top of doors, some pretty deep gouges, dents and arches are rusting (have been before I've had it).

If I had somewhere big enough indoors, I'd attempt to respray the pannels myself, so I want to get a garage built at my mums for but then I want to save up and buy my own house within a few years :wall

Anyway, I've got until May before I need to worry about spending more dosh as it's my sons birthday and the cavs mot at the end of May, which will obviously require welding :roll:

Rant over... :thumb

Martin.
Cavalier 1.7TD CDX and Cavalier 1.7TD LS
planetc

Re: Re: If you had to get rid of your Cav..

Post by planetc »

Gaz wrote:compared to a 20 year old cav 95% of the cars on the road are newer than yours
...... and people with older cars don't stop and call in for things quite so readily. Particularly warning lights that tell you there is a problem that you otherwise wouldn't know about, a carb or early injection motor can run acceptably well with a fault whereas the modern equivalent will tell you about it. Also you'll change your own wheel or bulb, matey who has just paid £25k for his car wants his money's worth out of his included assistance package.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Martin_TD wrote:The cav is really annoying right now, £78 for a clutch kit (will need to pay someone to fit aswell), £76 for a heater motor from ebay, reverse light switch £5 and I've not checked the price of brakes yet as I can't stomach it :D

I can't see myself driving anything else but I'd like to be able to let go of it, I doubt I'll be paying for a respray for her as shes got some lacquer peeling on bonnet/top of doors, some pretty deep gouges, dents and arches are rusting (have been before I've had it).

If I had somewhere big enough indoors, I'd attempt to respray the pannels myself, so I want to get a garage built at my mums for but then I want to save up and buy my own house within a few years :wall

Anyway, I've got until May before I need to worry about spending more dosh as it's my sons birthday and the cavs mot at the end of May, which will obviously require welding :roll:

Martin.
try a modern car with a duel mass flywheel, hydrolic clutch etc (£1000 on an audi tt for a cluctch change) heater motor probably needs the resistor pack fixing or changing if it only works on full speed. Brakes are about £60 for disks and pads from vauxhall on trade.

They are all expected bills, you need to understand that stuff wears out, if you could get a £500 car that would be faultless for 50kmiles you would be paying more than £500 for it. Better the devil you know and all that.

Personally id just keep an eye out for panels in the same colour saves you a fortune.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Lol you are biased towards anything that isn't a cavalier. No matter what car you own if you look after it and service it as it requires why should it break down. The only problem I have with newer cars is there very complex,
Electronics are very reliable but like anything you do get failures.
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
Martin_TD

Post by Martin_TD »

Gaz, the resistor has been changed recently and the fans work on all speeds when they decide to work, it used to take a wee rev to get them to come on, now it needs me to go over a pot hole (not hard to do here but annoying) :p
Cavalier 1.7TD CDX and Cavalier 1.7TD LS
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

A nice green Frontera. :)
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

Martin_TD wrote:The cav is really annoying right now, £78 for a clutch kit (will need to pay someone to fit aswell), £76 for a heater motor from ebay, reverse light switch £5 and I've not checked the price of brakes yet as I can't stomach it :D

Martin.

if it helps i know a good cheap vauxhall machinic and mobile who could fix your probs on cavalier no probs [ only person i trust with my car and wifes ]
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hmm post 2000 eh? :scratch

Well I suppose I would go for an Omega (2001 onward model).
Similar interior to Cava, but with ALL the toys dependent upon specification.

Not sure I would go for anything newer by Vauxhall.
They drive well enough, and on the whole they are reliable enough.
But damn - they are just sooooo boring to look at!! :sick

If I was going to replace the Cav... possibly a Mazda 6 :cool

Aye, with regard to cars on the side of the road... maybe that is because there are a lot more toss bags who cannot / will not change a wheel on the hard shoulder... "Oh no I might dirty my suit jacket", or "I might break a finger nail"

And yes, vehicles flag up all sorts of lights just to inform the driver that something is happening..

On the wife's Vectra-C, we could have any of the following messages

"Low Window washer fluid level"
"Fuel Level insufficient for planned journey"

Service light (Oil Can Symbol)
Spanner symbol (Invalid CAN communication fault) :wall
Fog Light symbol on (You've pressed the wrong button you dipstick) :p
Petrol light illuminates (Put some fuel in you turd!!) :no
Bulb symbol flashes on the dash - (bulb may fail any time in the next 6 months)

None of these will affect the cars running, however many people see a light, and immediately call out the break-down patrols
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

Cavalier342 wrote:How comes I see a lot more modern cars nowadays parked by the side of the road with an AA van behind them.... :scratch

To put it how I understand it...

You buy a new/relatively new car and trundle off down the road, one day, Mr EML pops on. Owners arse proceeds to fall out and his world, as he knows it, collapses. Pulls over, car is fooked.

Mr Cavalier owner discovers Mr EML and instead of ringing AA/RAC etc, dips clutch, revs engine, all ok and carries on while wondering how to work shoving a paper clip and reading the fault into his schedule.

People cannot be arsed to read the manual that comes with a car, if they did the would know the meaning of any warning light, and in the majority of cases, the vehicle is safe to drive to home / nearest dealer to have the fault checked or rectified.

One woman called us out, orange warning light, turns out her screen wash was low.
"Redefining success since 1981"
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Hmmm, a very unlikely scenario for me, but suspending reality....

1) Omega which I would then fit an airbag ride to slam it to the ground, dehandle, suicide doors, etc
or
2) Wortec tuned Vauxhall Monaro VXR 500
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

lowrider dave wrote:Hmmm, a very unlikely scenario for me, but suspending reality....

1) Omega which I would then fit an airbag ride to slam it to the ground, dehandle, suicide doors, etc
or
2) Wortec tuned Vauxhall Monaro VXR 500
Im so tempted by airbags so i can have it on its arse when i want and higher up for daily grind..
vauxtillidie

Post by vauxtillidie »

planetc wrote:
Cavalier342 wrote:They manufacture new cars to fail, therefore making the owners return them to the dealerships
:lol: :lol: you beat me to it
2006 Flame Red Astra VXR 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70+ AUX In, CID, Bluetooth, Sight & Light, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All Retrofitted by me :)
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

planetc wrote:
Not at all, new cars are a nightmare. They are just money pits because you cant work on nowt yourself you have to take them to the main stealers for most stuff.

Keep the older ones on the road, you might have to spend a little now and again but no where near as much as much as it would be for a newer car-believe me i have been there loads of times and it aint funny! Hence the reason i went back to older cars!

Each to his or her own tho!

Sent via taptalk on android
Mark
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - the friendly club
http://www.vodc.co.uk
VBOA Members
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

^^^My thoughts exactly, Vauxhallnutter. I went back to a Cavalier after trying to claw my way up to a newer and newer vehicle each time I got one. Sadly, got stitched on the Frontera and lost a lot of money. Heard that Cavs were cheaper running/maintaining, and I have a love of Cavs from my days owning a Mrk 1. If I can, I will keep on with them for as long as possible.

I think the way people are today, they put too much trust in their cars... there are so many electronics in a modern car, telling you when the slightest thing is going wrong...nobody thinks for themselves anymore....they rely too much on the car....nobody learns the basics of their vehicle. I am shocked when I find out blokes I have worked with cannot even change a wheel.

When I get something wrong, I want to find out what the problem is...find out what the part looks like so I can understand what's happened...even if I can't actually fix it myself. People don't do that anymore...they just want to get in, and drive.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

vauxhallnutter wrote:
planetc wrote:
Not at all, new cars are a nightmare.

True, newer cars have an additional level of complexity often requiring bespoke diagnostic gear, however, Andrei's suggestion was that manufacturers design cars to fail intentionally, which is a nonsense. The idea that a major car manufacturer would damage their brand reputation in order to score a few hundred quid here and there is ridiculous. You only need to see the impact a product recall can have on a company's reputation to realise this is true.
People don't do that anymore...they just want to get in, and drive.
People want to be able to work on cars through choice rather than necessity, myself included.
planetc

Post by planetc »

humbucker wrote:Andrei's suggestion was that manufacturers design cars to fail intentionally, which is a nonsense. The idea that a major car manufacturer would damage their brand reputation in order to score a few hundred quid here and there is ridiculous. You only need to see the impact a product recall can have on a company's reputation to realise this is true.
Precisely
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

planetc wrote:
humbucker wrote:Andrei's suggestion was that manufacturers design cars to fail intentionally, which is a nonsense. The idea that a major car manufacturer would damage their brand reputation in order to score a few hundred quid here and there is ridiculous. You only need to see the impact a product recall can have on a company's reputation to realise this is true.
Precisely
Dont disagree but it does make you wonder because what used to be simple jobs like changing a bulb are now quite difficult enough for some people to have to take the car to a dealer to have this work undertaken - I think it was a VW that I heard about that you have to take the bumper off to change the headlight bulbs unless you have small hands!

If I had to have something more modern than my Cav or my Metro then it would have to be an Omega or Vectra B estate capable of running on LPG - wouldnt touch a modern diesel with a bargepoie! Wouldnt go newer than 2000 tho!
Mark
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - the friendly club
http://www.vodc.co.uk
VBOA Members
cavagsi

Post by cavagsi »

Astra gte
or a s14/s15
mr v6

Post by mr v6 »

modern cars can be a nightmare but they can also be great cars to own,problem is people dont want to get there hands dirty any more and would rather part with a large chunk of money and get something new then chuck it for another in a couple of years.
make do and mend dosnt exist anymore as people just want the easiest option all the time and some times i think jacking up a car would damage there street cred!
i have aneighbour who has a new car and always says oh dear is the car playing up every time im doing some maintenance
was funny when her car broke down and had to be towed and i asked the same question before driving off :lol:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

mr v6 wrote: i have aneighbour who has a new car and always says oh dear is the car playing up every time im doing some maintenance
was funny when her car broke down and had to be towed and i asked the same question before driving off :lol:
I have the same thing, im a bugger for doing my oil every few thousand miles and i get that all the time, "Is something broke?" "well you will have these old cars" etc
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Gaz wrote:
mr v6 wrote: i have aneighbour who has a new car and always says oh dear is the car playing up every time im doing some maintenance
I have the same thing, im a bugger for doing my oil every few thousand miles and i get that all the time, "Is something broke?" "well you will have these old cars" etc
That does my pissing head in that does gggrrrrrrr :x :x :fight

People are just plain lazy arse's these days an just want to lounge around playing with they're electronic toys they want all the fun with out the effort I love knowing I've done it myself an most likely saved myself a small fortune!!!
[center]Image
[/center]