Why are interviewers so rude?

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

vexorg

Re: Why are interviewers so rude?

Post by vexorg »

When my daughter was 17, she worked for Tescos in the the evening while at college. They offer 3 month job experience work, but paid £12 an hour for till work, and even paid that for 2 shifts of trainng at the start.

At the time I did think that's not a bad wage for what they do.
David
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Sadly, location can be prohibitive. Its an employers market at the moment sadly. Re: being too old, why would you say that? Granted hours probably won't be great either, that said only other option is to relocation and in this climate, thats likely going to sting. What about self employment?
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Finally today after just about giving up all hope my wife accepted a job offer, ok the hours are a bit less than she was hoping for, but they are going to put her through a new qualification related to the field she's working in, plus they are paying the living wage, rather than the minimum or less as in the case of one offer she recieved. It seems way too hard these days to get a job. The last time I was out of work, the boss simply said to me there's a job going, start on Monday, nearly 25 years later I'm still there. Today it seems no matter what you do, it isnt good enough yet employers moan they can't get staff. Its taken nearly 5 months of hard graft to secure this position.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

A tentative congratulations to your missus. :cheers
Let's hope they stand by their promises.

I haven't had to apply for a 'new' job for 26 years.
It was so much easier back then.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I really hope they don't withdraw their job offer as we've had to already hand her notice in, in order to start once the new job wants her too.
Sometimes though you have to take risks, and it means an end to Weekend and 11pm working for lets not forget minimum wage.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Well done to her.

I think in general it depends on your skill set and work area. If you are good at your job and in a defined area then there is usually always work out there,
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I wish I could agree,
but the sad truth is that a lot of employers are looking for the cheapest deal.
Especially those in the lowest pay sectors.

'Human Resources' are just that... dealing with humans as resources, not as people.
Just a faceless employee number.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

vexorg wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:44 am Well done to her.

I think in general it depends on your skill set and work area. If you are good at your job and in a defined area then there is usually always work out there,
As I said before I wish people would show where all these jobs are. My wife has plenty of skills and qualifications, until now she normally only ever took a month maximum to find a job, it just seems that in the last year things have changed in the job market, a lot. The living wage is low for what she's doing, however as she's going to gain an extra qualification and experience out of it, she is willing to take the job on. Working for the hotel she only gets minimum wage, even for upto 11pm on a weekend and bank holiday. Hopefully now she will be able to settle into her new role and see where it takes her over the next few years.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Firstly congrats on the good news and offer to your wife.

Secondly, risks sometimes have to be taken though I do hope the offer isn't a conditional offer and has been received in writing at least?
Either way, my current job (14 years, 2 promotions on) was born out of being utterly fed up, and taking the plunge. Sometimes - it pans out.

As for these days job hunting is awkward unless you can play their game sadly.
There are areas of contending in, and I say this with the upmost respect for anyone trying to find a job and being capable of the role.

Ethnicity
Gender (apparently, there is more than 2?)
Sexuality

There are people being interviewed that tick those boxes and maybe 10% of the actual role they are applying for, however because they tick the 'prior consideration' boxes, they automatically pass because HR departments are scared of being stamped as 'discriminatory' Interviewers typically have X amount of slots, if 50% are taken up with the whittle, it really does cut down on option.

A role at my level has been vacant for over 7 months now, and been out to advert as many times. Nothing wrong with the job description, some thoughts around the pay (but its not poorly paid) - however, we have people applying that are 2 grades below, unable to speak English (to a reasonable standard).

Either way, may it be the job she wants and deserves and there are opportunities to develop the role and feel appreciated in it.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Envoy CDX wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:06 am
Sexuality
Oh Gary,
Have you not heard of the Unicorn system for youngsters (and students) to identify their own sexual identity.?

It all seems like pandering to a dysfunctional society's need to belong, and teenage angst regarding identity on a psychological level.

Sadly, it is not as simple as "do you have a meat and two veg?" anymore.

It is simple for me... I have the necessary luggage to make me male.
I feel that I am male, and I find my female counterparts very attractive - usually until they speak.

Unfortunately, these days, that puts me in the minority category.
Working for a living and being married to a woman makes me very rare indeed.

I say this all very tongue in cheek, but I am sure you catch my drift...
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I totally agree with Robsey, where I used to go to school, they've just spent a fortune installing non gender specfic toilets?!? Surely this money could of been better spent in other areas?

In reference to Envoy Cdx, the job offer has been received via email( I guess this is the modern equivalent of writing) it is conditional to references- they said they've already been done and they are happy with them, plus conditional on the Enhanced DBS coming back ok, my wifes current one only just expired a few weeks ago, so this is just a formality.

After last night in the Hotel, we both feel that leaving is the right thing to do. Just before 11pm after she already had done 8 hours the chap who was supposed to take over from my wife rang in sick, so my wife was left stranded there. Over an hour later, and after loads of fuss, eventually somebody turned up. If you're offering a 24/7 service I really do feel you should have a minimum of 2/3 people on shift at any time to allow for sickness and problems.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Robsey wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:35 am
Envoy CDX wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:06 am
Sexuality
Oh Gary,
Have you not heard of the Unicorn system for youngsters (and students) to identify their own sexual identity.?

It all seems like pandering to a dysfunctional society's need to belong, and teenage angst regarding identity on a psychological level.

Sadly, it is not as simple as "do you have a meat and two veg?" anymore.

It is simple for me... I have the necessary luggage to make me male.
I feel that I am male, and I find my female counterparts very attractive - usually until they speak.

Unfortunately, these days, that puts me in the minority category.
Working for a living and being married to a woman makes me very rare indeed.

I say this all very tongue in cheek, but I am sure you catch my drift...
Oh, I have.. sick of it being rammed down my neck about people being special and different, and then in the next breath "we are striving for equality " pick one..

As for the 'fluidity' of gender, it is in my mind a mental disorder and is born from people not being able to accept themselves rather than how other people treat them, people jumping on a bandwagon, or people pushing new stereotypes down the throats of the young and confusing the poor blighters. It came to light recently that schools are stating that tomboy is derogatory, and they they are identifying as male.. Sorry, but no... if someone is female but has what is typically considered male interests, but embraces there femininity, looks / sexuality wise - why is tomboy wrong?

Either way, the world is fubared. I do not envy the young these days.

You're lucky Rob, least you're married so fit into a 'normal' box, I am a 40yr old, heterosexual single male.. devil incarnate to some!
3cav3 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:29 am I totally agree with Robsey, where I used to go to school, they've just spent a fortune installing non gender specfic toilets?!? Surely this money could of been better spent in other areas?

In reference to Envoy Cdx, the job offer has been received via email( I guess this is the modern equivalent of writing) it is conditional to references- they said they've already been done and they are happy with them, plus conditional on the Enhanced DBS coming back ok, my wifes current one only just expired a few weeks ago, so this is just a formality.

After last night in the Hotel, we both feel that leaving is the right thing to do. Just before 11pm after she already had done 8 hours the chap who was supposed to take over from my wife rang in sick, so my wife was left stranded there. Over an hour later, and after loads of fuss, eventually somebody turned up. If you're offering a 24/7 service I really do feel you should have a minimum of 2/3 people on shift at any time to allow for sickness and problems.
Glad there is something in writing and it sounds like its going the same way. Good luck, and onto happier times, and spending more time as a family.

Businesses are cutting costs, and reaping the rewards of profit with the goodwill, and fear set in employee's, fearing saying no, or putting their foot down on poor treatment will wind them out of work. However we are in an awkward position as there will always be someone to replace them effectively.

People are living longer (hence extension of the pension claiming age) - however, not always capable of working into their golden age.
Influx of people coming into the country willing to take wages lower than the law states
People who are happy to work off the books (ties into the above, and others who are in receipt of benefits*)
We live in a world were profit seems to be held in higher regard than the safety, and happiness of the workforce.

*No disrespect intended for anyone on benefits, they are there for a reason, however there are individuals who extract the urine, and have done for their whole 'working' career.

Sorry for the rant like response. Just a bit fed up in the way this country has turned and the fact that we need a change in the majority of areas and it's going to take everyone to get involved and do it.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
thomas

Post by thomas »

I'm finding when you ring Call-Centres, Customer-Contact-Services etc. that the person you end up talking does not have the maturity or experience, intellect, to distinguish your use of the word 'you' to them, referring to the company, organisation, council or whatever, in criticism of their policies, procedures or actions, from personal criticism or fault. They immediately become stroppy defensive and rude in response, through fear and infant minds.
It's a case of my council, my employer, whatever, right or wrong, and often end things with 'I'm terminating this call now', matter not resolved.

We no longer have cultural homogeneity, and the high-trust altruistic society that results from that common genetic ancestry of the indigenous people.
We've been fooled for centuries by divide and rule tactics, to devouring internal fratricide. Into dysgenic wars with our Northern-European brothers and sisters, eliminating from their and our common gene pool the best, brightest and strongest.

Basic needs, homes, heat and food are denied to so many of our own.
We're done for. The country has been bankrupt and in receivership since around 1936.

All that remains now is to further oppress, marginalise and hunt the remaining cowering, weak indigenous people to extinction and the job will be complete. Humiliated, impoverished, self-defeating, replaced. The future does not belong to us, Homo-Sapiens-Sapiens. The 'fittest' in Darwinian terms means only the most prolific reproducers, the gamma and epsilon Homo-Erectus.

Evolution has been set running backwards, millions of years of slow incremental gains, lost in a short few centuries.
--
Cav 1994 1.8LSi 5-dr Jungle Green Pearl: Daily. :D
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

thomas wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:33 pm I'm finding when you ring Call-Centres, Customer-Contact-Services etc. that the person you end up talking does not have the maturity or experience, intellect, to distinguish your use of the word 'you' to them, referring to the company, organisation, council or whatever, in criticism of their policies, procedures or actions, from personal criticism or fault. They immediately become stroppy defensive and rude in response, through fear and infant minds.
It's a case of my council, my employer, whatever, right or wrong, and often end things with 'I'm terminating this call now', matter not resolved.
Because it's not on their script and people are brain washed into follow the script, do not deviate. That and generally speaking people aren't allowed to be individuals any more, that said its also a generational thing. Anyone brought up in the years of 'participation awards' is likely going to be bad for that kind of thought process.
thomas wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:33 pm We no longer have cultural homogeneity, and the high-trust altruistic society that results from that common genetic ancestry of the indigenous people.
We've been fooled for centuries by divide and rule tactics, to devouring internal fratricide. Into dysgenic wars with our Northern-European brothers and sisters, eliminating from their and our common gene pool the best, brightest and strongest.
I'll be honest, I'll have to look up a few of those words.
thomas wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:33 pm Basic needs, homes, heat and food are denied to so many of our own.
We're done for. The country has been bankrupt and in receivership since around 1936.

All that remains now is to further oppress, marginalise and hunt the remaining cowering, weak indigenous people to extinction and the job will be complete. Humiliated, impoverished, self-defeating, replaced. The future does not belong to us, Homo-Sapiens-Sapiens. The 'fittest' in Darwinian terms means only the most prolific reproducers, the gamma and epsilon Homo-Erectus.

Evolution has been set running backwards, millions of years of slow incremental gains, lost in a short few centuries.
Bankrupt since 1936? Not sure about that mind. Curious as to where that is coming from? There are a number of people who think they are owed a living and don't work towards things, frustrating really. But it also falls into the self defeating aspect.

Evolution isn't set backwards, at a standstill, deviated or slowed down, however - society is certainly in decline and its down to capitalism being abused. All for people making money, but not at the expense of people.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index