Autocross experience

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Telegram Sam

Autocross experience

Post by Telegram Sam »

First experience yesterday of "competition" motoring. Local car club had an open day in mid Northumberland where visitors could for a fee experience a few laps in an autocross car. I opted to be driven by someone who knew his stuff. This was in what was still just about recognizeable as a Corsa with a 2-L redtop (?) motor squeezed in which the man told me had been tuned to produce 175 bhp. Considering that this was tuned for racing rather than road use this didn't seem that much more (well say 17%) than what I guess my own might produce when pushed, though the power-to-weight ratios were streets apart and the feel (and noise levels) totally different.
In retro the impression I had was how vulnerable the passenger would be in the event of having to get out quick in the case of a fire or accident. You are wedged in beside a thick reinforcing bar across the doorway and I don't know how I'd have exited without help especially if the car was not on an even keel. I couldn't even get the helmet to quick release. Almost a feeling of claustrophobia but I suppose the regulatory people know what they are doing.
I get the feeling that there's a kind of a pecking order: autocross, rally cross, full blown rally .. What I experienced, bombing round a bumpy field sideways, was probably rather tame in the grand scheme of things. It would be nice to experience the next stage up, but rather more difficult I assume without the right connections ...
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
Cavalier342

Re: Autocross experience

Post by Cavalier342 »

Corsa redtop? I'd rather do it on a push bike... :roll:
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Not something I've ever experienced but I'd imagine it would have been rather quick.
Though seeing the NCAP vids on youtube of Corsa's any form of substantial impact I doubt getting out of the car would be the top of your priorities.

Still, all new experiences are a chance to learn.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

As I said it would be nice to "upgrade" - someone said there was quite a lot of activity at Croft south of Darlington if anyone knows it - and if so I'd expect of course to have the experience in the luxury of a rally (cross) Mk3 Cav. Hints / pleas to all on circ.

[In defence of Corsas it would probably be easier for the driver to eject in the case of fire / accident than for the passenger :) or :( depending on one's viewpoint]
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

I did Autocross for a few years in Guernsey. It is their version of banger racing really. There they basically race on a beach in a kidney shaped track and the cars are gutted down to basics, everyone wore a helmet and cars had a basic safety test (no sharp edges, seatbelts worked) but other than that it was free reign. Needless to say rollovers weren't uncommon and it was tremendous fun, if you don't mind getting sand everywhere.

If anyone is interested, I have some pics: My team 'Speedfreaks':
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davekirwi ... 875126964/

And general Guernsey autocross photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davekirwi ... 749727909/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davekirwi ... 875229110/
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Telegram Sam wrote:As I said it would be nice to "upgrade" - someone said there was quite a lot of activity at Croft south of Darlington if anyone knows it - and if so I'd expect of course to have the experience in the luxury of a rally (cross) Mk3 Cav. Hints / pleas to all on circ.

[In defence of Corsas it would probably be easier for the driver to eject in the case of fire / accident than for the passenger :) or :( depending on one's viewpoint]
Aye, depends on the setup of the cage in the car I guess as to how easy it is to get in and out of any vehicle.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Cavalier342 wrote:Corsa redtop? I'd rather do it on a push bike... :roll:
Corsa B. Tuned Red Top. Rear-wheel drive. Check it. Amazing car.

Link
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

And I'd still rather do it on a push bike.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Cavalier342 wrote:And I'd still rather do it on a push bike.
You are being deliberately dismissive. The Corsa in the video is a brilliant build by one of the country's leading rally teams; 250bhp from a naturally-aspirated C20XE that revs safely to 8500rpm and manages 0-60mph in under four seconds is nothing to sneer at.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Yes I am. :D To me that's boring.
Previous:

btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Cavalier342 wrote:Yes I am. :D To me that's boring.
Your just simply weird.
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I think Humbucker's Corsa B was streets ahead of what I experienced and I can only dream of being in the passenger seat (for a start it looked a lot more comfortable than what I was sat in). Where can one get a slice of that kind of action?
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

humbucker wrote:Corsa B. Tuned Red Top. Rear-wheel drive. Check it. Amazing car.
Nice video, some great action, love to do this.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:I think Humbucker's Corsa B was streets ahead of what I experienced and I can only dream of being in the passenger seat (for a start it looked a lot more comfortable than what I was sat in). Where can one get a slice of that kind of action?
Listen to that engine screaming its nuts off! :lol:

You could probably rent a ride in a rally car. I imagine there are 'red letter days' that offer that kind of thing.

I treated Mrs Humbucker to a day of driving a selection of supercars around a racing circuit. If you can book that, then you're bound to be able to book a ride on a rally stage.

I'm off to the Nurburgring next week, and I'm hoping to jump into an instructor's car as a passenger in order to experience the 'Green Hell' at high speed.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

When is a Corsa not a Corsa? When it's got RWD? (Or when it's churning out 250 bhp?)
How / where can I get a gear shift like that for my F16?
I can't unfortunately pop over to the Nurburgring much as I would like to but if anyone knows of any rally experience opportunities preferably in Northern England (Kielder Forest would be ideal except that the driver might get lost) I'd appreciate being tipped off.

Poor Mrs H. What she must have to put up with is heart wrenching :(
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I suspected that the Corsa gearshift was one of those hi-tec electronic (?) Porsche-type ones that changes gears in nano-seconds. Must have a re-look but if I could get the same results for £24 from eBay I reckon that would be a bargain. On the other hand that might be a mite optimistic.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

humbucker wrote:Corsa B. Tuned Red Top. Rear-wheel drive. Check it. Amazing car.
I have just seen the original YouTube on my PC. One of the most gripping videos I can remember - and I would argue quite a bit more so than something similar taken from a computer-controlled Formula One car on a race track (agree/disagree?). Pity we can't hear a bit more of the instructions that the co-driver was feeding.

The only comparable thing I can remember seeing once was a Shell or BP sponsored one of Nuvolari or Hans Stück or someone in the between-wars Auto Union, that great beast of a thing with a massive engine at the back and the driver all exposed up front. Glorious sound. In both cases I reckon the drivers had the same problems staying on the road. Nostalgia ...