Hassle with mobiles

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Telegram Sam

Hassle with mobiles

Post by Telegram Sam »

I have been trying to keep posts up to date from a hospital bed using my Samsung Galaxy S3. Is it just my ham-fisted-ness or is the Mk3 site really mobile-unfriendly?? It took 7 attempts to get it to accept input of my password, and impossible to delete from my PM mailbox. I'm using the S3 in landscape mode on the Three network (even getting to the Sent folder was an Olympic medal achievement)
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
Mk3alan

Re: Hassle with mobiles

Post by Mk3alan »

Sorry to hear you are out of action, I wish you a speedy recovery.
I mostly use my mobile when on site and find it works well (other than posting pictures which needs the PC for some reason)
Although I am connecting with wifi.

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

As said, hopefully nothing to worry about regarding your hospitalisation. Get well soon fella.

Slightly off topic - do be aware that mobile phones are generally safe to use in hospitals (I know this as a fact due to working with the former head of the HMRA Blackpool a few years ago). It is Police and Ambulance radios that cause the most electronic bleed-over and disruption to medical equipment.
But the ward manager has full discretion to allow or ban mobile phone usage on their ward / unit.
Not that many people care these days.

Back to topic -
I use an S2 and an S4 mini for about 95% of my forum visits.
I always work in portrait mode for typing and have very few issues reading and posting.

I remember having some picture posting issues a few years ago, and found that uploading via tapatalk often cured this to a great extent.
Remember that posting pictures directly often requires the image to be no larger than 480 x 640 pixels or 100 kb, although off site hosting such as via Photobucket is preferred to keep bandwidth and the overall size of server database down.

I use landscape mode now and again for reading, when I want the page width to be bigger so that pictures in landscape, or general text is larger.

Using landscape mode for typing can be a pain because you lose half the screen to the keyboard. Portrait is much easier.

Regarding password entry - I use the "automatically log me in" tick box.
So once I have signed in successfully the first time -
Thereafter all future logins are done without going through the same hassle... occasionally you have to log in, if you have used a different pc or phone etc, but nowhere near as often.
planetc

Post by planetc »

Tapatalk..... Makes the forum much easier to use on a small mobile screen. I use it almost exclusively here as I am rarely on a pc these days. I agree with Robs suggestions about screen orientation, and was using an s3 myself until recently. 3 have a pretty poor reputation for intermittent internet service, so that may be a contributing factor. Hope you are on the mend and are home soon.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

No problems using the forum on mobiles, tablets, desktop here. The forum isn't responsive (yet) because I developed the theme for it back in 2009, but it can be scaled/zoomed to suit your device. I seem to recall you had difficulty with your password entry on the desktop site too. Click 'remember me' and you won't need to keep logging in each time you visit the forum.

On a more serious note, I hope that you're feeling better and will be reunited with your Cavalier before too long! 8-) ;)
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

Sorry to hear that you are laid up in hospital, hope you are well again soon.

I personally use tapatalk for browsing on the mobile and find it works well.
Mark
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - the friendly club
http://www.vodc.co.uk
VBOA Members
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Thanks for the concerns expressed. Before anyone gets really worried it was me :( and not the SRi :) that got hospitalised on this occasion.
>> Do you have to be a certified welder to delete an old PM from the Mailbox via a Samsung mobile, or have to file down your index finger in order to change the box at the bottom from "mark as important" to "delete marked"?? This defeated me and caused sleepless nights in the ward.
I have ignored the Tapatalk prompts up to now but the next time might take up the offer if you say it works. And/or buy a tablet just for CavMk 3.
planetc

Post by planetc »

Tapatalk is significantly easier, even given the choice of a tablet
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Do I download Tapatalk as an app to the mobile (rather than to my PC)? From tapatalk.com
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I haven't used tapatalk for about six months,
It will cost a couple of quid to buy the App.

Tapatalk can also log you in automatically.

I stopped using tapatalk because it kept freezing up, so I no longer have it installed on either phone.
Maybe one of the recent updates may have cured the error by now.

You can zoom in and out to see the delete option easier.
There is also a delete box under each message when you open up the message.
So no need to try to use the drop down list.

Just go to play store on your mobile - it is a phone app.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Go to the google store, type in tapatalk, install.
Get well soon Iain.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

You can zoom in and out to see the delete option easier.
I was looking for something like this (in vain). Is it only visible on the mobile? I mostly use the desktop, like now.
planetc

Post by planetc »

Zoom on the s3 by pinching your fingers and making them wider apart. (while touching the screen I should add) On the pc you can press and hold ctrl and hit the + sign to make everything bigger or the - to make it smaller.
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

Never used Tapatalk... used my phone for about a year when my laptop packed in...
Never had an issue with forum site and often found this one easier to navigate.
Just use the zoom function as mentioned previously and all the little boxes become bigger :D
I too have sausage fingers and it makes things a whole lot easier :)
My kids have funky styluses with their iPod touches...

It might be due to signal strengh or wifi (if using)... Although it tells you signal is good...
sometimes it has a harder job connecting to sites with larger web pages...

Is it just cavmk3 you struggle with (ignoring Facebook... Mine seems to load facebook when I have no service... :shock: )
You can get the photobucket app from the app store and use it pretty much the same way you do on a pc...
When I got windows 7 it refused to let me upload pics to photobucket... So my phone was an essential tool :)

I personally am not a fan of any form of Samsung... But then I hate Apple and use an iPhone 4 and have always got the otherhalf the latest iPad :S

Hope you get well soon!! and back to a pc lol
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

In fairness the CavM3 site is one of only a very few that I've tried to access via the mobile - and I am not (yet) into Facebook. Must see if I can get the squeezy thing to work - difficult at present because Three still can't get me a network connection at home ... Sorting out Cav problems is a doddle compared with this.
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

Facebook is a waste of life... Although there is a Cavmk3 group on there and you get different opinions from those on the forum...

The squeezy zoom thing is easier than it sounds... you will have it to a T in no time...

The biggest problem you have is being in business with Three... Been there, done that, took 6 months and several threatening phone calls to cancel...
I recall saying to the (not english) guy on the phone to "Take my contract, Tape it to a bomb and blow yourself up with it"...
Not my proudest moment... but was one un autherised payment from taking them to court.... LOL
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I had a whole load of hassle getting them Three to agree to give me a refund for an ineffective mobile that they sold me but I got a cheque from them in the end. I think the basic problem is that their network coverage is not what they claim and possibly worse than their competitors. On the other hand their PAYG** rates are way more attractive than the rip offs charged by others. They have two retail stores in Newcastle and since I started visiting the other they do seem to be taking more of an interest in getting their as yet unresolved network problems sorted out. It was help if I was a little less clueless with smartphone technology and usage.
** is a PAYE arrangement vulnerable to unauthorized payments??
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Three - naff all coverage. I ditched them in favour of O2 who seem to have coverage everywhere.
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

humbucker wrote:Three - naff all coverage. I ditched them in favour of O2 who seem to have coverage everywhere.
Not in my house they dont!
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Have to agree with Humbucker on this occasion (I've kept my non-smart O2 PAYG phone, best decision I've yet made in spite of O2's higher rates)
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Vodafone are pretty good for signal coverage, even if I disagree with the way they spell their name.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

humbucker wrote:Three - naff all coverage. I ditched them in favour of O2 who seem to have coverage everywhere.

Give them a few weeks, and they will be the same company. :p

They are all naff...
I use EE and indoor reception is bobbins.
Not as bad as T-Mobile in their day with continuous E (edge) symbol on the phone instead of
G, H, H+, 4G....

Rarely get 4G on EE - usually H or H+ outdoors.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

My layman's overriding impression is that the higher the "G" the more hassle and the less reliable (and the more expensive?). I've tested my O2 [non-smart 2-G?] PAYG at the top of one of the Beinns and it worked perfectly. I wouldn't stake my fate on the same with Three's 3-G or 4-G or any other -G.