Could be good news for Cavs ??

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

ed2

Could be good news for Cavs ??

Post by ed2 »

I reckon the biiggest draw back of a cav is the road tax. It seems to now be suggested from many sources that the coalition govenment intends (so not certain until it happens) to get rid of road tax by the next general election in May 2015 two years time.

The december 2012 edition of car mechanics magazine also suggest this, and many seem to agree that because of car manufacturers being too quick to make cars that are in the cheap car tax bands of nil or £30, car tax (along with the costs of collection and enforcement) is no longer a viable method of tax.

Paying a one off tax when the car is new, road tolls, and higher price petrol and MOTs are the obvious easier ways to collect the same tax.

But I reckon the cav is a very good car to own, if we do not have to pay the present high road tax. My x20xev does 50mpg on a slow 56mph run so with the flexiblity of the big hatch where i get lots in the back, i will see if i can keep mine for the long term. but my favourite is the 1600. I had a 1989 1.6 carb and a 1995 x16sz. Both great, especially cruising on a motorway fast and economical (near 57 mpg if careful to go slow) yet lots of space.
vauxtillidie

Re: Could be good news for Cavs ??

Post by vauxtillidie »

As you said they will get the money elsewhere whether its fuel mot's or whatever they will get the money from somewhere
2006 Flame Red Astra VXR 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70+ AUX In, CID, Bluetooth, Sight & Light, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All Retrofitted by me :)
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

ed2 wrote:I reckon the biiggest draw back of a cav is the road tax. It seems to now be suggested from many sources that the coalition govenment intends (so not certain until it happens) to get rid of road tax by the next general election in May 2015 two years time.

The december 2012 edition of car mechanics magazine also suggest this, and many seem to agree that because of car manufacturers being too quick to make cars that are in the cheap car tax bands of nil or £30, car tax (along with the costs of collection and enforcement) is no longer a viable method of tax.

Paying a one off tax when the car is new, road tolls, and higher price petrol and MOTs are the obvious easier ways to collect the same tax.

But I reckon the cav is a very good car to own, if we do not have to pay the present high road tax. My x20xev does 50mpg on a slow 56mph run so with the flexiblity of the big hatch where i get lots in the back, i will see if i can keep mine for the long term. but my favourite is the 1600. I had a 1989 1.6 carb and a 1995 x16sz. Both great, especially cruising on a motorway fast and economical (near 57 mpg if careful to go slow) yet lots of space.

So they will screw us in other ways .I just wish they would get rid of the bbc tax now
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

If the high tax stays with us, surely if you fitted a modern low mmision engine into a 15 year old shell, you would get into the tax bracket for that engine?

Had loads of modern low tax cars go through at work so wont be long before the parts are available for salvage.

As a side note, I was quite suprised at how many use AD-blue!
"Redefining success since 1981"
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

As the emmision rules go by the engine fitted and not the car itself at mot time it would be nice if the tax bracket fitted the same
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index