Internet Bullies

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

Mikebmth

Internet Bullies

Post by Mikebmth »

I think we all know about physical bullying, I was well aware of it during my school years but now the Internet is such a big place with so many people all voicing their opinions that we should be thinking before we type....

Verbal bullying is in some ways as damaging to someone as physical, I have also been a target of this myself and it aint fun.

Because we feel different about lets say another persons hobbies or projects that does not give us the right to slag them off every 5 minutes, instead you can think what a total Pr*ck but don't say it..

Voicing an opinion is good in positive terms but constant bullying can cause big problems..

Yes we all know why I have posted this as one of my mates on here (Andrei) has been subject to several members ribbing on a constant basis, I feel these people really do need to think before they speak and as I was once the shy retiring and bullied type I no longer stand for it off of anyone especially when I am told by friends that it is going on.

Lets just say from now on We Think Before We Type / Speak ok?

Sure Gaz and the other Mods on here will agree with this too!
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Hayward691

Re: Internet Bullys

Post by Hayward691 »

Oi numb nuts!!! Shut it you tarrrrt!!! or ill go caps lock on your arse!!!
But in all seriousness... Ive been shunned from many a car forum for my choices...
And this is getting a bigger and bigger problem across all plains of the internet!!!
planetc

Post by planetc »

Too easy to go too far online, that's the problem. Being a self confessed sarcastic git anyway (not sure if I inherited it or learnt it?) I can relate to this very well. I will nibble away at the weak points and wind people up all the time but when you are with someone face to face you can gauge the reaction and back off if you go too far. You don't have this feedback online and hence it's too easy to overdo it.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Totally agree with planetc, i'm just the same. TBH its all gaz's fault too, i was nothing like this until i started working with him a few years ago and now i'm more sarcastic/piss taking than he is lol!
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

gaz is sarcastic really i havent noticed
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

who cares banter ftw :)

every forum has it

just remember people are only big behind their computers

meet them at shows and they aint so mouthy then lol
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

btcctroy wrote:gaz is sarcastic really i havent noticed
:lol:
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

gsi pie wrote:who cares banter ftw :)

every forum has it

just remember people are only big behind their computers

meet them at shows and they aint so mouthy then lol
Thats Right i wouldn't say boo to a goose in real life. On here im like arnie, U WANNA F**K WITH ME lol

seriously though no one on here intentionally wants to upset any member of the forum, why would anyone want to bully someone, for want gain.

its just internet banter every thread has it even planect's biscuit thread. Incidently i think planetc is spending more time eating biscuits these days so he can evaluate and review every type of biscuit ever made.
he knows more about biscuits than motors.
jb1kenoby

Post by jb1kenoby »

planetc wrote:Too easy to go too far online, that's the problem. Being a self confessed sarcastic git anyway (not sure if I inherited it or learnt it?) I can relate to this very well. I will nibble away at the weak points and wind people up all the time but when you are with someone face to face you can gauge the reaction and back off if you go too far. You don't have this feedback online and hence it's too easy to overdo it.
Couldn't agree more and this is me down to a T

The only downside is people can read things on a screen the wrong way very easily unlike in person
Born in Luton - Refined in Bournemouth
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

^^^^ lmfao
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
planetc

Post by planetc »

Biscuits are cool... I could live without a car if I had an endless supply.
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

planetc wrote:Biscuits are cool... I could live without a car if I had an endless supply.
The way petrol pices are going we will all be living with out a car,
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

I bet there's no club for biscuit enthusiasts.
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

we should have a sub forum for planetc and his biscuits :)
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

gsi pie wrote:we should have a sub forum for planetc and his biscuits :)
He should have his on web forum,
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: Internet Bullies

Post by humbucker »

You're right of course; taunting online can be as upsetting as it is person, particularly as online banter does not lend itself to tone of voice. It is very easy to misinterpret what is said in email/messenger/forums as certain turns of phrase can be ambigious, however, it is also that same flaw in online communication that needs to be considered by the recipient.

Unless I have missed something, it seemed to me that Andrei got upset because people were taking the p1ss over his photos of die cast cars on the beach. While it is fair to say that this particular past-time isn't everyone's cup of tea then he should expect a little ribbing, as anyone with a slightly unusual past time might do. There is also the 'biscuit' criticism he levelled at the rest of us, which could be considered to be the same thing, but he is obviously a tad more sensitive about it.

I quite enjoyed his pictures and was fooled in the first instance into thinking it was one of those photos that was supposed to look like a model, rather than... um... a photo of a model. But the nature of forums surely means that you have to expect a little ribbing, and I didn't see anything overly offensive in the remarks that followed.

I don't think anyone's going to pussyfoot around a member for fear of upsetting him/her, but there is a common sense approach on both ends that should be observed. It's clear if a member is being prodded a bit too hard, but similarly the recipient needs a bit of perspective when on the receiving end, and snapping back isn't going to do anyone any favours, as a certain Mr Steven77 should be only too aware by now. At the end of the day, good natured humour is fine, getting personal isn't, but I think we all realise this. When people dishing it out haven't been able to tell the difference then a warning and/or ban has followed, simple as that.

Tell Andrei the coast is clear. He's a valued member of the forums and it would be a shame for him to disappear over something so trivial ;)
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

humbucker wrote:
You're right of course; taunting online can be as upsetting as it is person, particularly as online banter does not lend itself to tone of voice. It is very easy to misinterpret what is said in email/messenger/forums as certain turns of phrase can be ambigious, however, it is also that same flaw in online communication that needs to be considered by the recipient.

Unless I have missed something, it seemed to me that Andrei got upset because people were taking the p1ss over his photos of die cast cars on the beach. While it is fair to say that this particular past-time isn't everyone's cup of tea then he should expect a little ribbing, as anyone with a slightly unusual past time might do. There is also the 'biscuit' criticism he levelled at the rest of us, which could be considered to be the same thing, but he is obviously a tad more sensitive about it.

I quite enjoyed his pictures and was fooled in the first instance into thinking it was one of those photos that was supposed to look like a model, rather than... um... a photo of a model. But the nature of forums surely means that you have to expect a little ribbing, and I didn't see anything overly offensive in the remarks that followed.

I don't think anyone's going to pussyfoot around a member for fear of upsetting him/her, but there is a common sense approach on both ends that should be observed. It's clear if a member is being prodded a bit too hard, but similarly the recipient needs a bit of perspective when on the receiving end, and snapping back isn't going to do anyone any favours, as a certain Mr Steven77 should be only too aware by now. At the end of the day, good natured humour is fine, getting personal isn't, but I think we all realise this. When people dishing it out haven't been able to tell the difference then a warning and/or ban has followed, simple as that.

Tell Andrei the coast is clear. He's a valued member of the forums and it would be a shame for him to disappear over something so trivial ;)
exactly my thoughts
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

humbucker wrote:

"Unless I have missed something, it seemed to me that Andrei got upset because people were taking the p1ss over his photos of die cast cars on the beach."

"Tell Andrei the coast is clear. He's a valued member of the forums and it would be a shame for him to disappear over something so trivial ;)
I'm not going anywhere, I'm here because I respect the forum and if I need to seek advice about anything car related, I know where to look. Just to clarify, it wasn't just that, it was pretty much everything else. I don't get pissed off if someone slags me off once or twice, but when they carry on and on, it gets a tad annoying. I'm sure you can understand that.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

no one on here has slagged you off. played sarcastic jokes perhaps
planetc

Post by planetc »

Best thing to do under such circumstances is to all sit down with a cuppa and a biscuit and clear the air. ;-)
steven240374

Post by steven240374 »

planetc wrote:Best thing to do under such circumstances is to all sit down with a cuppa and a biscuit and clear the air. ;-)

Biscuits again :lol:
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

I hadn't seen the thread in the technical section before writing my earlier post, but saw that Gaz successfully defused the situation. Looks like both parties were misinterpreting a bit o' tongue in cheek banter there. I didn't read 'stick it where the sun don't shine' as being anything other than a funny comment but perhaps the use of a smiley icon at the end would have clarified things as it comes down to the online misinterpretation issue again.

It does work. See the following:

"I sat next to your mum the other day and she stank of rotten fish heads."

Is a little more alarming than

"Oh, and she also stinks of old and crispy sick" :lol: :lol: ;) ;)

Even though I mean it on both counts.

;)