Whats your best millage ?

Anything not covered by the other topics in 'The Lounge'. Keep it clean...!

Moderator: Robsey

joe cavalier sri

Whats your best millage ?

Post by joe cavalier sri »

Hi I drive a tdi bora sport ahf engine and I filled up my tank to full and reset my clocks to see how many miles I could get on the first white line down from full heres my results of course some of it was using Aberdeen overdrive lol to you who don't know what that is its knocking it out of gear when moving down hills and yes I know my abs light is on its drivers side rear sensor that needs replacing :tdown

btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Re: Whats your best millage ?

Post by btcctroy »

This has no reflection to how efficient your car is. Why don't you fill it up again and see how much fuel it takes. Then do some simple maths to work out mpg.
Tanks are usually the biggest at the top. My Scooby does 60 Miles to about that point but its a tiny tank
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

90 miles to one notch? Is that it?? My V6 can do that on a run no problem. :roll:
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Kevwaggy

Post by Kevwaggy »

Maths? Steady Troy!
"You offer someone a sincere compliment on their moustache and suddenly she's not your friend anymore"

I've decided I would really like a sex change, preferably from 'none' to 'absolutely shitloads'
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Normal, mainly motorway (carefull ish) driving 2litre 8v -53mpg
Is somebody going to log these figures?

Alan
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

We try but new posts come up here and there so it's impossible to keep an actual record :lol:
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Manage from full to 3/4 usually anything upto bout 90 miles even in town driving, averaging about 350 - 375 a tank on my 2litre 8v but I am not known for driving slowly to be honest...
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Mikebmth wrote:I am not known for driving slowly to be honest...
I don't know what you mean, you couldn't keep up with my auto around town a while ago :lol:
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:I don't know what you mean, you couldn't keep up with my auto around town a while ago :lol:
Must have been the chavbrook sticker, makes you go faster...lol....Though just seen thats gone.....

Oh and the fact the Auto changes up at silly revs and don't fancy a second rebuild!!
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

:lol: Ye I know, there is something a bit crude about changing gear at 6000 RPM when there's no power coming out. :lol:
Previous:

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Surprised that no one has mentioned that the so called Aberdeen over-drive will waste fuel not save it on most vehicles.
Only early non-electronic carb engines would benefit from coasting in neutral.

On all electronic controlled vehicles, the injectors or fuel cut-off valves are turned off or set to vastly reduced injector pulse length in order to reduce fueling when decellerationg or coasting in gear.
The engine does not cut out, because the momentum or the vehicle moving along keeps the engine running.

When cruising in neutral, the engine is fed fuel to keep the engine idling, thus wasting fuel.

In my Cavalier - at idle I get fuel consuption at approx 0.3 litres per hour. not a lot but it is still there.
On overun in gear, all cars will report 999.99 miles per gallon (as close to infinite miles per gallon that can be displayed)

A second point is, that if you brim the tank, then the top quarter will take a lot more miles to deplete the fuel being measured, compared to gauge readings for any other "quarter of a tank" on the scale.

Now the mathematics bit.
A typical tank is about 63 litres.
and that looks like about 1/8th of a tank...
So probably about 53.4 mpg.

Not too bad, but try leaving it in gear rather than coasting in neutral.
economy should be even better.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Never thought about it in such depth before... Usually if I'm coasting, I leave it in as high gear as possible, thus keeping momentum and the revs as low as possible. Neutral is for traffic lights.
Previous:

btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Doesn't matter what gear your decelerating in as long as it's over 1500 rpm. If the management sees tps shut for so many milliseconds over the preset rpm allowed for idle settle, the ecu cuts fuel ie switches off injectors.
Labouring an engine at low rpm doesn't mean your driving efficient, the engine will require more fuel air at low rpm for the load applied. Generally called pulse width
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Cavalier342 wrote:Never thought about it in such depth before... Usually if I'm coasting, I leave it in as high gear as possible, thus keeping momentum and the revs as low as possible. Neutral is for traffic lights.

All fuel injection engines have a fuel cut off when the accelerator pedal is not being pressed and the revs are above a certain point.

It depends on the engine but I know the C20NE/20NE has it's cut off at 1400rpm.

So for example if you were going down hill and you had the choice of being in 5th gear at 1100RPM or 4th gear at 1600rpm, 4th gear would be more economical as it is above the fuel cut off point and no fuel would be entering the engine.
Whereas in 5th at 1100rpm, fuel would be put into the engine as a preemptive measure to stop it stalling.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

James McGrath wrote:
Cavalier342 wrote:Never thought about it in such depth before... Usually if I'm coasting, I leave it in as high gear as possible, thus keeping momentum and the revs as low as possible. Neutral is for traffic lights.

All fuel injection engines have a fuel cut off when the accelerator pedal is not being pressed and the revs are above a certain point.

It depends on the engine but I know the C20NE/20NE has it's cut off at 1400rpm.

So for example if you were going down hill and you had the choice of being in 5th gear at 1100RPM or 4th gear at 1600rpm, 4th gear would be more economical as it is above the fuel cut off point and no fuel would be entering the engine.
Whereas in 5th at 1100rpm, fuel would be put into the engine as a preemptive measure to stop it stalling.
Well worded pal.
My English is very poor i find it difficult to state exactly what I mean when I know what I mean if that makes Sense lol
Can't be good at everything I suppose
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Yes, obviously without labouring the engine, but I mean anything that is above as you say, 1500 RPM or so. The V6 can pull from 1000 RPM but I don't do it as it's no good for the motor.
Previous: